[NGL-project] Paom u' òl yas inh ò'ol kumcik & miescik

Jack Durst

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 00:51:29 -0230
From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@mun.ca>
Subject: Re: [NGL-project] Paom u' òl yas inhò'ol kumcik & miescik

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 01:19:58 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Koenig
<j...@NETCOM.COM> wrote:

[...]
>>Teme
>>je òl yas
>>u' q yexfejan à q kumcik(1). Xu Sole
>>pirfe(2) q val inwèzi(3). Nièz te estàne(4) ton q
>>mir kur kaimer vodotoi'. Ku oha je inmìes
>>newiy mies.(5) Pasoem(6) beh u' reylao', te diemom
>>nir xes be pa(7) zoz. u' q Sol. u' q oha inmìes
>>mies. u' giz 'irinjihoi'.(8) Ku Sol & q oha lehnaesfe
>>mod.(9) Te 'ayhoitom q lumuvakes(10) jien u' tasorese
>>injìho. Duminer(11) moymostai'fer;(12) jienjer gohig
>>
>>Ku naes otoje - kur teme sokom naes. Visom ke q
>>naes _inmògi_ inòtoje, inòto for be 'ek wi'
>>moc.(13) Naesite kur vita dum. Newiy konom
>>ke yer yases to surijes inmàig. U'
>>fasilo, wemi, eco yas to vitaitem
>>kur fale
>>veri
>>
>>loj
>>paom
>>
>>Et naesitom q mu... (14.)
>jjj
>1. I read this cold-essence-being, kum-ci-ik. Can -ik be terminal?
>Doesn't it require a verb? (kum is N.)

It's actually just {cik}, time. So the word for winter derived here is
just "cold time".

>2. Interesting conversion of VXT space adv. to v. I would never have
>thought of it. Another example of why we need usage. I would have said
>paspir=(papir)=moves through; but it's purely a matter of style.

I guess it might come down to how you feel about or envision the
action of the light...

>3. I get "massless cloud", no problem.
>4. Would be "(te) diston (q) mir" in VXT.

I think that might actually have been better.

>5. The mies-inmies polarity as a union of opposites
>is very well expressed by NGL with its stark inverse forms.
>6. Nice use of the adverbial walking phrase to modify decide.

I am really warming to those, I find I'm using them more and more
often. I actually find I like the more difficult and explicit forms
*more* and the easier infixed forms. I like the power of the suffixed
forms...

>7. This is such a pivitol point of the composition, that you may want
>to disregard what I say here. But you _could_ use the infinitive "to
>walk" in one of its forms for <be pa>: General infix; <p`ira>; or
>specific; suffix; <pain>, noun infinitive.
>
><mi hiah (te) diem p`ira zoz>.
>I myself-agent decide to walk back and forth.
>in VXT would emphasize that the decider is the
>active agent in the decision to walk about.

I will remember. {be} idioms are a bit stuck in my dialect, though...
:-)

>8. X lesi::- X is (measures) a short space interval.
> -id-::- past participle infix (l-id-esi)
> 'ir::- sleeve
> giz::- coat
>Some possibilites to think about:
>giz 'irlesisiad = sleeve is short-pp-adj. (shortened sleeve) 5s
>giz 'irlesisiadi = sleeve is short-pp-adj. (shortened sleeved) 6s
>giz 'irlidesi = sleeve is short-pp.(accidental adj.)(shortened sleeve)4s
>giz 'irinjihoi' = sleeve short-adj (short-sleeve)5s
>giz 'irlesi = sleeve short (accidental adj.)(short-sleeve) 3s

I really like that last one. I feel it conveys the right idea in a
simple and elegant fashion.

>9. <umi> possible.
>
>10. nice gender infixing
>11. " "

"a few men". {duin} + {-m-} gender infix + paucal ending

>12. could be tennis.

Well, in the proposed sports module, there's a proposed convention
that {moymostai'} would be basketball. So I just went with that...
either a more precise term will be used eventually if one sufficiently
snappy can be found, or we can just depend on idiom to tell the sports
apart.

[...]
>14. Another use of "mu" I wouldn't have thought of. But it's perfect
>for the existential, instantaneous "now", or the consciousness of
>intense, moment to moment living in the real present.

It felt like a perfect image...

>Thanks for a great composition, and for mixing some VXT in.

No prob :-). I hope I'm getting better at the VXT... I am finding I'm
liking it more and more the more I get a chance to use it and _feel_
it.

[...]
>>Proposals/Vocab:
>>
>>I propose to strip the word {val} of the meaning "fog" and coin:
>>
>>*orgu N - fog
>
>I second.

Does the second also extend to the proposal to modify the meaning of
{val}?

Stephen

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2344/1/_/_/_/955250360/

Jack Durst

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00

YES, I second the modification.

>Stephen

itm val
tp N
st acc JD
def cloud, fog

Yes, I do think it is useful to differentiate these terms. <val> would
just mean cloud then. A derivative such as orgu'ec would be a bit long
for a very common thing like a cloud. I suppose we could start out with
aerosols, distinguish a water type, a CO2 type, etc, and a diffuse and
a discrete type and come up with fogs and clouds. And I'm not kidding,
but how exactly would we keep that short enough? This would be a good
place to practice parallel vocabulary:

Just for example, not a proposal:

solute-solvent, ie salt in water
From the Chem. module:
led::-liquid state
sie::-gas state
par::-solid state

ledsieyug::-general liquid-gas mixture. gas is "solvent" or suspending
medium. Any kind of fog, (water, CO2, methane, etc.)

vodledsieyug::- diffuse water vapors, ie <fog>.
vodledsieyug'ec::- a piece of water vapor, ie <cloud>.

co2ledsieyug'ec::- Carbon dioxide cloud, ie on a music video or fire
extinguisher.
mirparsieyug'ec::- dust cloud
carbonparsieyug::- smoke
carbonpiegiparsieyug::- wood smoke

sihledyug::-gas dissolved in liquid. liquid is solvent.
co2sihvodledyug::- carbonated water

(substitute co2 term from chemistry module)

Jack, maybe you could revive your compression system for specific use
in derivations like these? I forgot how it works. I only opposed it for
general use where it overwrote the entire VXT system.

I'm getting too tired to go on, so to be continued.

Jerry
:re writekit

Win $1000 this Friday!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2860/1/_/_/_/955274221/