[NGL] Wierzbica Semantic Primes in NGL

Jack Durst

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:49:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Gerald Koenig <j...@netcom.com>
Subject: [NGL] Wierzbica Semantic Primes in NGL

From: Gerald Koenig <j...@netcom.com>

Here are some extracts from my current musings on NGL:

>From Anna Wierzbicka:
P. 131
12. Time:WHEN, AFTER, BEFORE, A LONG TIME, A SHORT TIME, NOW
Clausal Adjuncts.
"The fundamental temporal concepts encoded in the languages of the world
appear to be the same. They include WHEN, AFTER, and BEFORE"

Here are some time sentences in her Universal Grammar that use WHEN, or
its equivalent, AT A TIME, and more of the above.]

Ex 1: At that time, you did something.

Si ace letu, vu pa dinfe.
Simultaneous to that time interval, you past thing-do. OR:

Me ace letu, vu am dinfe.
Mu a member of that time-vector, you were thing-doing.
During that interval, you did something.

Ex 2: When I did these things, I felt something bad.
Si mip ecos dinsfe, mip *luil din tom.

Does <din> mean "something"? If not I would use ax, X.
*ax::- X, some thing or some number, according to context.

naes=feeling, n.
Surprisingly, we lack a verb for "feel", one of Wierzbicka's
55 "old" semantic primitives along with "want", "know" and "think".
I propose <luil>.

*luil::- to feel, v.

Ex 3: When will it happen?
Kuol atik gol fu xolcit.
What is the value of the time-atom for it will happen.
Ans: 10^999. [a guess]. I'm watching "An Enemy of the State" on
television in the background and this form seems appropriate :).
Or an equivalent can be given: 9:10 pm.

OR:

Kuol letu gol fu xolcit?
Which is the value of the time vector for it will happen?
Ans: 9:10pm-9:20pm.

Kuol ayoh cesi gol fu xolcit?
Which is the value of a marker event for "it will happen"?
kuol ayoh cesi= kuo

*kuo::-which is the value of a marker event proposition for...;
or just plain "when?".

*Kuo gol fu xolcit?
When it will happen?

Vo ku maredim diem 3 cikes.
Ans: Before the cock crows thrice.

Again surprisingly we do not have a word equivalent to "when?", another
Wierzbicka semantic primitive universal concept. I propose

*kuo::-when

Since it's a primitive, we all know what it means and we can't define it
further, although I thought I did above.

ON BEFORE and AFTER:
Page 57:

"What is particularly innteresting about these findings is the apparant
redundancy of the exponents of temporary succession; for why should all
languages have words for both BEFORE and AFTER, rather than for just
one of these concepts? Aren't they reducible to one another?

>From a logical point of view, indeed, they might be reducible to one
another. But the fact that natural languages have lexical resources for
expressing both of them suggests that from the point of view of human
conceptualization of reality, "Y happened after X" means something
different from, and irreducible to, "X happened after Y". Clearly, what
matters is a different perspective on the events in question, a
different point of view, and, as pointed out by Slobin (1985a: 1181),
"the ability to view scenes from different perspectives" is a salient
feature of human cognition, clearly reflected in all languages. "

Ok, with that as background I am going to present my understanding of
this with vector tense.

Since the mu [*] has moved rightward it first made x happen and then
y. Here Y is the first argument, the nominative, we visualize it
center stage in the "figure" position. AFTER puts Y front and center.

1. Y happened AFTER X:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
| |
ground | | ground
x happened | y happened |
BB---@========>----------------@===========>---|----*-------------->
| |
ground | figure | ground
| _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|

\|/

/ \

AFTER puts Y front and center.

2. X happened BEFORE Y:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
| |
| |
ground | | ground
| x happened | y happened
BB -------------------------|-----@========>---|-----------@===========>-*-
| |
ground | figure | ground
|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|

\|/

/ \

BEFORE puts X front and center.
So that although these two statements are logically equivalent, they
look different in our imaginations due to what I call
"The linearization of perception by language"; Somehow the first
predication gets the center of attention, even though the BEFORE and
AFTER are symmetrical relations.

Well, there is another interesting part to this post, dealing with the
now popular expression, "let's put that behind us" as a vector metaphor
that ties into the Wierzbicka primitives, it's too much for tonite.
I hope this message finds Jack, Stephen, Julian, Carlos, Mia, et al
well.

Jerry | Without careful communication
Gerald Lea Koenig | jlkatnetcomdotcom There is boundless demonization.

Jack Durst

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:49:21 -0800 (PST), Gerald Koenig
<j...@netcom.com> wrote:

>From: Gerald Koenig <j...@netcom.com>

[...]

>Si ace letu, vu pa dinfe.
>Simultaneous to that time interval, you past thing-do. OR:
>
>Me ace letu, vu am dinfe.
>Mu a member of that time-vector, you were thing-doing.
>During that interval, you did something.
>

>Ex 2: When I did these things, I felt something bad.
> Si mip ecos dinsfe, mip *luil din tom.

^^^^^^
Needs to be {dinesfe}, the -e- is needed to obey a syllable pattern
rule forbidding clusters of three consonants inside a word.

> Does <din> mean "something"? If not I would use ax, X.
> *ax::- X, some thing or some number, according to context.

According to the semi-module that was hammered out last year,
"something" is handled with {yerdin}, "something" and "anything" being
handled by the same word with {òl} or {q} to be used if necessary to
help differentiate meaning.

>naes=feeling, n.
>Surprisingly, we lack a verb for "feel", one of Wierzbicka's
>55 "old" semantic primitives along with "want", "know" and "think".
>I propose <luil>.
>
>*luil::- to feel, v.

_Currently_, I just verb {naes} it give {naesit}, "feel". My
_personal_ opinion is that this has been sufficient.

>Ex 3: When will it happen?
> Kuol atik gol fu xolcit.
> What is the value of the time-atom for it will happen.
> Ans: 10^999. [a guess]. I'm watching "An Enemy of the State" on
> television in the background and this form seems appropriate :).
> Or an equivalent can be given: 9:10 pm.

So while the meaning of "time atom" in tis literal interpretation is
very specific, for practical purposes this specificity can be relaxed,
I take it...

Something I hate to confess my ignorance to, but I don't feel I quite
understand where {kuol} comes from.

[...]

> *kuo::-which is the value of a marker event proposition for...;
> or just plain "when?".

Right now, this has been handled using the question-word-making
particle {-ne}, so "when" in the question word sense has been {cikne}
and "when" in the relative pronoun sense has been {cike} ({cik} +
{ke}).

[...]

>Again surprisingly we do not have a word equivalent to "when?", another
>Wierzbicka semantic primitive universal concept. I propose
>
>*kuo::-when
>
>Since it's a primitive, we all know what it means and we can't define it
>further, although I thought I did above.

Well, we can define it with great exactitude I guess, but ultimately
we need to also be able to define our terms roughly like this,
otherwise people will be intimidated by the level of detail and maybe
experience trouble in actually understanding and using the terms as
they are envisioned to be used. A range of levels of detail is needed
in describing words...

[...]

>BEFORE puts X front and center.
>So that although these two statements are logically equivalent, they
>look different in our imaginations due to what I call
>"The linearization of perception by language"; Somehow the first
>predication gets the center of attention, even though the BEFORE and
>AFTER are symmetrical relations.
>
>Well, there is another interesting part to this post, dealing with the
>now popular expression, "let's put that behind us" as a vector metaphor
>that ties into the Wierzbicka primitives, it's too much for tonite.
>I hope this message finds Jack, Stephen, Julian, Carlos, Mia, et al
>well.

It finds me fairly well, although recovering from a slight touch of
flu :-). The exposition on before and after was very interesting, an
important illustration of how the human entity of language often lives
by a "logic" all its own. That "logic" may not always make perfect
sense from the point of view of actual logic, but yet as language
designers we risk our creations having impeded functionality if we
fail to pay attention to it. Focus of attention is something that is
very important to people in communication. PVS gives a bit of a nod to
this fact in that compound verbs inherently make a distinction between
the time we're talking about, i.e., focused upon, versus the time in
which the verb takes place... VTT, with its fine logic and potential
for great precision has the potential to not only express these
concepts very well to to maybe teach us something about the way we
think...

Naesverig,

Stephen

*** Get Your FREE Post it Notes from iPrint.com! ***
Offer for new iPrint.com customers only. Shipping as low as $3.20.
Click on <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/iPrint34 ">FREE OFFER</a>

Jack Durst

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99