[NGL] Translation: Matiu' 18:21-35

Jack Durst

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 00:38:07 -0330
From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Subject: [NGL] Translation: Matiu' 18:21-35

From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>

Hi All,

This is my first composition in quite a while. It is a translation of
a parable from the book of Matthew (18:21-35) about forgiveness. The
reason why the topic is on my mind at the moment is because in the
queer Quaker mailing list I'm in, there is currently a discussion on
how you can possibly forgive people who have done horrible things to
you... I consider forgiveness a vital necessity for the sake of one's
own soul no matter how gross the crime, but it is often very, very
difficult, and it is occasionally a topic of discussion in religious
groups how one can ever forgive something that seems unforgivable.
Anyways, this little story is just done using PVS, I'm mainly
interested in doing something simple, quick and easy (for me) to get
my feet wet (again :-) )... It felt like it flowed well when I wrote
it, I hope it also flows reasonably well to read :-). Note below that
{Pir} is Peter and {Yexua'} is Jesus. Note also that instead of just
coining a word for "lord" and "servant", the NGL concept of {bas} and
{inbās} is just stretched to fit this meaning.

Naesverig,

Stephen

Dilvaib (Vocabulary):

*jeik V - own # belong

This is a re-proposal.

huyfe V - accept # refuse ({huy} + {fe})
*guva V - summon, procure # dismiss, dispose of

The books of the New Testament:

A tentative working list, probably shouldn't be considered an official
proposal as it needs some input from someone with more knowledge of
the roots and international development and representation of common
names, and especially more knowledge of the ancient Greek
representaion of these names.

Matiu' - Matthew
Marka - Mark
Luk - Luke
Yan - John
Xoles ā q :Apostles: - Acts
(I don't know a good way to say "apostle", so I'm deferring it for
now)
Romores - Romans
1 Korėntaores - I Corinthians
2 Korėntaores - II Corinthians
Galātia'ores - Galatians
Efčsia'ores - Ephesians
Filėpia'ores - Phillippians
Kolōsia'ores - Collosians
1 Tesalōnia'ores - I Thessalonians
2 Tesalōnia'ores - II Thessalonians
1 Timoti - I Timothy
2 Timoti - II Timothy
Titus - Titus
Filemon - Philemon
Hebrus - Hebrews
Yames - James
(I feel less confident of this NGL-isation than I do of {Yan} for
John)
1 Pir - I Peter
2 Pir - II Peter
1 Yan - I John
2 Yan - II John
3 Yan - III John
Yud - Jude
(Same comment as for James)
Moxanjanes - Revelations

Tokjan:

Matiu' 18:21-35

21 Wemi Pir Yexua' ta pasem tor (1) & med tokem, "ŋBas, duolne ā
cikes amano (2) xo inwčsatfe ho'ol moc & reso belanitom mec? ŋLaus
talesci kur ca cikes?" 22 Yexua' med ta tokem, "No te tokom ca cikes,
newiy cati az ca.
23 "Loj, q setregfao' ā q inmėr se pas ku'iem ā ōl reg ke yeva
galarfem ā inbāsese inōtese (3). 24 Cike ta yunem bidesjane, ōl inbās
med sa te birinem ke med ta inōtjem i'a tios talentes; 25 & fo no gula
yofem, base incāxfe ke sa xo akuiporem ezo famake & xalese & zupo ke
ta jeikem, be fe yofci. 26 Loj, q inbās ga te sosfem (4), kite ray,
ŦBas, di kelanfeam mod, & mad to yofom zupo.ŧ 27 Et ā rasis be mec, q
bas ā ace inbās ta indāsem mec & ta belanitem q inōt. 28 Newiy ace
inbās, kur tame (4a) tibem tos, ta bodem ōl inbās amani (5) ke med ta
inōtje i'ati (6) denarii; & ta dasem q faci afcue' kite tok, ŦDi yofam
inōta mod.ŧ 29 Loj, inbās amani ga te sosfem & med rayem, ŦDi
kelanfeam mod, & mad to yofom.ŧ 30 Ta inhųyinem & ta suazfem mec u'
jeit tam 'a xo yofem q inōt. Cike inbāsese amani q xoljanac ta 'ekes,
ta ya'fes, & u' base ta behtokes zupo ke ta xolcite. 32 Wemi base ta
guvaem mec & med ta tokem, ŦĄInbās inmāet! Fo mod ta rayam, ta
belanitom zupo ace inōt; 33 ŋet la res no kelanfeam (7) be inbāse
amani laus ke ta kelanfeom be mac?ŧ 34 Et u' faupaci base suazfem mec
u' jeit tam 'a xo yofem zupo inōte. 35 Laus neke Apalo inmėri to fe
ezo zupo sac, 'if no xo belanitas amana ā kuora."

Meahcis (Notes):

1) Vector construct, {ta pasem tor}, "he went towards".

2) Attempt to say "my brother", being non-gender-specific and
saying that one is not necessarily physically related to the person.

3) An attempt at idiom. {galarfe ā inbāsese inōtese} means
literally "make equal from his subordinates their debts." That is
translating "settle accounts with his servants" and is meant to convey
the idea that he wants his money back.

4) {ge te sosfe} - an idiom for "to kneel", literally "make knee
oneself". The expression is translating, "The servant fell on his
knees".

4a) {tame} - this is just the PVS morpheme {ta} with the punctual
aspect ending {-me} suffixed.

5) See note 1, I mean {aman} as "brother". {inbās amani} is
trying to translate "fellow servant", the relational a- in this case
trying to say they work for the same master. I am using a sort-of
intimate kinship term because I think it works well with the story.

6) hundred

7) An interrogative modal for the heck of it. {la res no
kelanfeam be inbāse amani...?" - more or less literally "should you
not have had mercy for your fellow servant...?"