[NGL] Hiatus

Jack Durst

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
Moderator's note: Sorry, Jerry, I lost your original post and so the
thread starts here.

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
to N...@onelist.com
Hi all...

Well, I've been busy too lately. I've been working on a book on
constitutional philosophy, and so all my writing energies have gone into
that and none into translations. I admit, I'm getting a bit rusty and
will need to do some translating to get back up to speed.

As for your writekit idea, I've been using something similar for quite
some time. I keep a copy of the Ogden set and the cheet sheet open in a
file while I write, switching between windows as I go.

Sincerely,
Jack Durst
Sp...@sierra.net
[this posting written in Net English]

Jack Durst

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
> Well, I've been busy too lately. I've been working on a book on
> constitutional philosophy, and so all my writing energies have gone into
> that and none into translations. I admit, I'm getting a bit rusty and
> will need to do some translating to get back up to speed.

What a coincidence. My life has been plagued with constitutions recently.
We recently had a constitutional mini-crisis at the Karate Federation of
Newfoundland when the black belts at one dojo decided they didn't want to
pay their national fees, and I'm on the constitutional committee for
LBGTMUN, writing a constitution for our group. We never had one
previously, at least not one that said anything concretely :-). Granted
this is all small-potatoes, constitution-wise :-)

> As for your writekit idea, I've been using something similar for quite
> some time. I keep a copy of the Ogden set and the cheet sheet open in a
> file while I write, switching between windows as I go.

Me, I just use Showbox. I have most of my notes in there. I have to go
hunting when I need some detail not covered there... :-)

Stephen

Shop the web for great deals. Save on Computers,
electronics, Home furnishings and more.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1559/3/_/415547/_/951400360/

Jack Durst

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Gerald Koenig wrote:

> From: Gerald Koenig <j...@NETCOM.COM>
>

> >Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:23:35 -0330
> >From: Stephen DeGrace "<c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>"
> >Subject: Re: [NGL] Hiatus
> >From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
>
> Hi, Stephen,
>
> It was great to hear from you, and Jack and Julian as well, and I saw
> Mia cast a vote, so we do exist. I wish everyone would check in with a
> short review of where they're at, English is fine. We're all out of NGL
> practice and I need writekit-type support as much as anyone to write,
> maybe more. I'll be posting a a few sentences soon.
>
> I did read your NGL post and I enclose my casual notes for others.
> What do xo,

PVS word meaning "will-would", something to that effect. It's a future
irreal.

>ra

{ra} is more "might have", again PVS.

>and 'ayhoig

{'ayhoig} has to be interpreted somewhat idiomatically, I meant something
like "to the eye", or "visibly".

>mean and what is the derivation of kuiporkanto?

{kuiporkanto} is an on-the-spot attempt to derive "mall". I suppose I
could have just borrowed mall... the NGL means something like "great
market", {kuipor}, "trade", {-ka}, "place", {-(i)n(o)to}, "large",
braketed letters deleted by contraction. Actally, I think there's actually
a work for "market" I could have used.

> I believe I was able to get the sense of your post fairly well but I do
> wonder sometimes how much that is based on knowing english or latin.
>
> Ta feom yerdin indùm (be moc :-) ) eco inyàs; ta tibeom u' q
> something abnormal me night had

for me tonight

> kuiporkanto & ta biunafeom orio'. Orio' *dek*. Eco moxanije inòtoig be
> store,tradeplace hole ear? right-hand show little-ly

I went to the mall and had my ear pierced. *right* ear. This is a bit
showy for me

NOTE: I ought to have used a vector term for "right", but I was in a hurry
and {dek} came up first :-)

> moc, newiy eco je yerdin 'an ta visom leti rolig. Kite indàbui'je
> think-I about. [active verb/adj]

but this is something I had been thinking about for a long time.
Being gay

> gay
> *'ayhoig* te naesite kai', newiy no laus kai' kur ra visom. Tuni, u'
> "eyely" feel-agent new/different, such/like as? Interestingly

visibly feels but not so different as I might have thought.
Interesting

NOTE: Not a big or very noticeable thing, but interesting because it
_does_ have an implied menaing in our culture, or at least the part of it
I inhabit, that in males leftward assymetry in earrings means straight,
therefore...

> yer xolcitjan.
> some/any happening

in any case.

> To vupom be fe òl esrìtjan u' NGL yexig. No yevo invòavitom bincio' à
> try late-ly. want-ed lose bini

I will try to do a composition in NGL soon. I don't want to lose my
knowledge of

> NGL... 'E ta sunmafeos inòtoig u' eco tokcir, 'e ta feos òl reylajan
> wisdom win-I-imp muchly working

We have accomplished much in this artificial language, we have
done a very good job

> leh mouk, & xo invòavintoje 'if xo incàxos jiopem.
> feel very lose-much-be if unforced drop-3pcond. let-go

it would be a loss if we were to let it drop.

> Tiran, ta visom tos òl nom be q bok Bibeli, "The Acts of the
> BTW,
> Apostles". Ta sahom ke dekusem q vaibmom "Apostle" "Sent One". U' NGL,
> look for mean word-nom`

I found that the word "apostle" means "sent one".

> "sent one" xi je "gicustor". Loj, "The Acts of the Apostles" xi je "Ku
> would be gicu-tor?

Could be, I didn't think of that. I was using a form with no directional
component which coincidentaly resembles a vector form. {gicuor} would, of
course, be "sender". There is a form that is passive, that would give
person, thing or device which is sent. Letter is the same for gender as in
the active form; the only difference is that you insert a couple letters.
If the substrate ends in a non-syllibant consonant (e.g., {"gic"}), it is
s (i.e., {gicsor}; if it ends in a syllibant (e.g., {"gix"}), it is t
(i.e., {gixtor}), if the word ends in a vowel it is st (e.g., {gicu} -->
{gicustor}, sent one). This is a very old form.

> Gicustores Xolcise", 'ior "Ku Xolcis à q Gicustores". Felitom _mom_ q
> act-essence-be prefer I
> serotonar.
> latter.

I wanted to say "former".

> I was happy to see some vector space words used. As to the use of the
> "s" between gicu and tor, I don't think I made that entirely clear in
> the writekit. Your could put it there of course if you want for esthetic
> reasons in your new word, but it's not required for vector unless there
> are three vowels in a row. And it can be deleted in words like "pastor"
> which goes to "pator" as an option.
>
> gicu-liv-or-es: send outward ones
> gicu-tor-or-es: send toward ones.
>
> How about Ku Xolxis a` ku gictores?

I suppose this would be okay too. Like I say, I didn't think of using a
vector for this.

Stephen

FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
are willing to answer your questions for FREE. Go to Xpertsite today and
put your mind to rest.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1404/3/_/415547/_/951443008/

Jack Durst

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00