[NGL] PVS: Interrogative Mood

Jack Durst

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99

Sincerely,
Jack Durst
Sp...@sierra.net
[this posting written in Net English]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 20:27:33 -0330
From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
To: N...@onelist.com
Subject: [NGL] PVS: Interrogative Mood

From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>

Hi All,

The question of questions in NGL is something that I have turned over
a lot in my dealing with this project. We basically have a stable set
of idioms and derivations that serve quite well for asking questions
consistently across verb systems. So naturally I have to rock the boat
:-). I want to create and test out a proprietary alternative for PVS.

The idea is to creat an interrogative mood; like the indicative is
indicated with {te}, the possibility would exist to ask a question by
invoking the interrogative mood using an as-yet undefined modal in the
place of {te}. This modal would have full functionality as a PVS
modal, being able to inflect for tense and participate in compound
structures to form displaced tenses. It would be similar to the modal
{di} (the imperative/advisory modal) in that it would not be
_required_ in order to ask a question, just as {di} is not _required_
to make a command or advice, existing devices could also be employed.
It would exist basically as an option.

I got the idea from Scots Gaelic which has a polymorphous (right
word?) word "to be". In Gaelic the verb is "tha" in the positive
indicative and, if I remember correctly (I probably don't :-) ) "chan
robh" in the positive interrogative. The negative indicatives and
interrogatives are also completely different words (i.e., you don't
just add a "not", you have to use a completely different word to make
the verb negative, which is also pretty cool). So "I am" would be "tha
mi", but "am I?" would be "chan robh mi?".

My proposed modal is {li}. The inflections are:

formal informal (usual)
generic li li
present lie' li
past lia' la
future lio' lo

{li} could appear anywhere in a modal chain.

Proposed morpheme:

*deud N - rest, break

This is different than {hapxu} in that it implies an _active_ rest or
break, i.e., instead of being rest as in sleep or lying down or
whatever, it is rest in the sense of a break from your
responsibilities or a time to do what you want. So:

deudkafe - coffee break
cikdeud - vacation, holidays ({deud} alone can also have
this sense)
deudcayas - weekend

So, for my example:

The dialog is:
Q: "Are you going to be here for the holidays?"
A: "No, I'm going back home."

This could be handled either using generic question formation:

Q: żTo no edčam q deud u' eco?
A: No, to behtibeom mafig.

Or using the PVS interrogative modal:

Q: żLo edčam q deud u' eco?
A: No, to behtibeom mafig.

Anyways, I think that's enough to put out for discussion. Thanks, and
I hope the Americans in the group had a super Thanksgiving!!!

Naesverig,

Stephen

Jack Durst

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
to N...@onelist.com
Hi all, sorry I havn't written for the group, but my life got hectic after
I recovered from the flu and is just now settling down again.

As for your proposal: I see no problem. TVS already has a proprietary
method in the narrative mood, so I have no objection to PVS having one in
principle. The inflection is consistant with other PVS modals and shows
no flaws, andf such a form is found commonly in the world's languages, and
so is not ruled out by universality.

Jack Durst

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
> Hi all, sorry I havn't written for the group, but my life got hectic after
> I recovered from the flu and is just now settling down again.
>
> As for your proposal: I see no problem. TVS already has a proprietary
> method in the narrative mood,

Cool. Can you explain how this works?

Stephen

*** Get Your FREE Post it Notes from iPrint.com! ***
Offer for new iPrint.com customers only. Shipping as low as $3.20.
Click on <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/iPrint34 ">FREE OFFER</a>

Jack Durst

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
to N...@onelist.com