[NGL] Haloween Story: "Ku Volef" bok'ec 1

Jack Durst

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 02:25:53 -0230
From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Subject: Re: [NGL] Haloween Story: "Ku Volef" bok'ec 1

From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 16:16:25 -0700 (PDT), Jack Durst
<sp...@sierra.net> wrote:

>Vocabulary:
>*volef - wolf

Cool, I can read it fairly well. Good job, Jack, I like it, it is
well-written, IMO, and has a nice flow. I'm impressed by how much you
can do with the Ogden set (although I must say, some of those Ogden
set morphemes are ones I have not often encountered! :-) ). There a
few passages with which I have some difficulty, I'll work over those
some more and come to those later. Just to comment now, I object to
{volef} on the groups that there is an existing morpheme, {lupi},
which means "wolf". However, if you really have your heart set on
{volef} I could be persuaded to drop my objection to a change of
{lupi} to {volef}.

Naesverig,

Stephen

Jack Durst

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
to N...@onelist.com
On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Stephen DeGrace wrote:

> From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>

> On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 16:16:25 -0700 (PDT), Jack Durst
> <sp...@sierra.net> wrote:
> Cool, I can read it fairly well. Good job, Jack, I like it, it is
> well-written, IMO, and has a nice flow. I'm impressed by how much you
> can do with the Ogden set (although I must say, some of those Ogden
> set morphemes are ones I have not often encountered! :-) ). There a

Thank you. Well, Ogden claimed you could express any idea in that set of
meanings, and he was close to right.

> few passages with which I have some difficulty, I'll work over those
> some more and come to those later. Just to comment now, I object to

The "card-reading" scene was an attempt at portraying glossolalia in NGL,
it's not supposed to be grammatical. As for the rest, comments are
appreciated since I'm still revising chapters 2 and 3.

> {volef} on the groups that there is an existing morpheme, {lupi},

> which means "wolf". However, if you really have your heart set on
> {volef} I could be persuaded to drop my objection to a change of
> {lupi} to {volef}.

I like volef better, and since I don't want to do a massive
search-and-replace I'll leave it as-is for the moment, but I officially
relegate {volef} to dialect status.

Sincerely,
Jack Durst
Sp...@sierra.net