[NGL] NGL text

Jack Durst

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 13:27:18 -0330
From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Subject: Re: [NGL] NGL text

From: Stephen DeGrace <c72...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 03:41:13 -0800 (PST), Gerald Koenig
<j...@NETCOM.COM> wrote:

>From: Gerald Koenig <j...@NETCOM.COM>
>

>>From the writekit, for your perusal;
>
>Proposed new words:
>*guribluos::- grebe, a small duck-like bird, grebe-bird.

second

>*kormarpa::-pier, above-ocean-walk.

Hmm. How about using a formal derivation with the head "walk", like
{pakemar}, "walk-above-ocean" or {pamarka} "ocean-walk-place". This
wouldn't need formal acceptance, it would merely be recorded as a
derivation to watch for. Most derivations don't go through the
acceptance process for "officialness", unless they aren't totally
obvious and meant for something that _needs_ an official term. I think
that something as a legitimate alternative derivation for "pier" is a
good thing and ought to be made record of, but I'm not sure if we need
a new _official_ word for this.

>*kari::- to cry out

All right, I'll _consider_ seconding, if this is specifically given
the connoatation of a meaningless vocalisation. That would tend to
push more meaningful calling out on to {diem} and cause it to lose the
connotation carried by {kari} over time, I think. That would be
acceptible to me.

>*siemael::-thunder, sky-hammer,

Hmm. In my opinion, this really ought to be {maelsi'e}, especially in
the formal mode, because "hammer" is plainly the head and NGL is a
head-first language, and that in any event I'm not sure if this is a
proper form for dictionary "officialness", it's more of a literary
metaphor. It's the sort of thing I would record as such in my
database, but unless this particular image gains more wide-spred use
I'm not sure if it's necessary to propose it for full accepted status
at this point (although it _is_ very good, at this early stage in the
language, to explain any metaphorical language you use in a vocabulary
section). As Jack said, the more literal {niunfan} can be derived from
existing morphemes.

>*tertok::-threaten

I have an alternative proposal for you and Jack. Since {tok} is
plainly an NGL word, why don't we back-derive and figure out what
{ter} means? I think it means "threat". Could we propose, second and
accept:

*ter N - threat

So that "threaten" would be then either {tokter}, "to speak in a
threatening manner" or {terfe}, "to make a threat" or {terit}
"threat-transitive verb" as the author desires?

Stephen

MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2122/5/_/415547/_/952275343/

Jack Durst

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
to N...@onelist.com
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Stephen DeGrace wrote:

> >*kormarpa::-pier, above-ocean-walk.
> Hmm. How about using a formal derivation with the head "walk", like
> {pakemar}, "walk-above-ocean" or {pamarka} "ocean-walk-place". This

I like Stephen's derived form better. It captures the meaning desired
precisely, and without the need for any new morphemes. Though it isn't
nessicary, I second {pamarka} for "pier/boardwalk".

> wouldn't need formal acceptance, it would merely be recorded as a
> derivation to watch for. Most derivations don't go through the
> acceptance process for "officialness", unless they aren't totally
> obvious and meant for something that _needs_ an official term. I think
> that something as a legitimate alternative derivation for "pier" is a
> good thing and ought to be made record of, but I'm not sure if we need
> a new _official_ word for this.

I agree with you that a second is unnessicary, but it never hurts to show
support... :) Whether or not the term goes officiel is determined by
frequency more than anything else. If a more specific term is frequently
usefull, then the word will show up often and there'll be no question as
to status. Even if not, it's still a clear derivation.

> >*siemael::-thunder, sky-hammer,
> Hmm. In my opinion, this really ought to be {maelsi'e}, especially in
> the formal mode, because "hammer" is plainly the head and NGL is a
> head-first language, and that in any event I'm not sure if this is a
> proper form for dictionary "officialness", it's more of a literary

I would tend to agree there (and am mildly embarrassed I didn't catch the
head-last problem).

> metaphor. It's the sort of thing I would record as such in my
> database, but unless this particular image gains more wide-spred use
> I'm not sure if it's necessary to propose it for full accepted status
> at this point (although it _is_ very good, at this early stage in the

It isn't. I'd read it as metaphorical and puzzle through the possible
meanings if I encountered it in a text. The derivation isn't one which
would posess any literal meaning (which I would think would require a
second for the metaphorical sense) so, though I prefer a plain derivation,
it's certainly an acceptable form.

> >*tertok::-threaten
> I have an alternative proposal for you and Jack. Since {tok} is
> plainly an NGL word, why don't we back-derive and figure out what
> {ter} means? I think it means "threat". Could we propose, second and
> accept:
>
> *ter N - threat

Excelent idea! The meaning is nessicary and common enough to merrit a
morpheme of this length, so I second.

Sincerely,
Jack Durst
Sp...@sierra.net