Re: First Janime about Soviet Pioneers Heroes

Tadas Blinda

Sep 27, 2009, 2:11:49 AM9/27/09
On Sep 27, 6:17 am, "Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr."
<ostap_bender_1...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In some places, if one get enough food to eat - he is happy. It's all
> a matter of expectations. This reminds me of a Russian teenage joke,
> which I find to be quite wise:
>
> The hero of Russian jokes - Vasiliy Ivanovich Chapayev - is sitting on
> railroad rails and hammering his penis with a huge hammer. His friend
> - Petya - sees that and asks in amazement:
>
> - Vasiliy Ivanovich, what are you doing?!
> - I am catching happiness, Petya!
> - Happiness? How can you catch happiness from this?
> - Easily, Petya: every time I miss - I get happy.
>
> The Russian term: "lovlyu kayf".

Yes, they have „kaifas“ in Lithuanian too, plus the verb „kaifuoti“,
which is to experience the „kaif“. I wonder what the etymology of
this word is? Maybe Central Asian? Do they put something in their
hookahs in Central Asia to give them „kaif“ ?

Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr.

Sep 27, 2009, 8:27:32 PM9/27/09

Tadas Blinda

Sep 27, 2009, 11:29:50 PM9/27/09
On Sep 28, 3:27 am, "Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr."

> > Yes, they have „kaifas“ in Lithuanian too, plus the verb „kaifuoti“,
> > which is to experience the „kaif“.  I wonder what the etymology of
> > this word is?  Maybe Central Asian?

> Close. From Arabic through Turkish:

> http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki

> "kejf", "kajf", "kaef", "qaef"

The article doesn't actually list that word, but I would agree that's
the most likely path.

Interesting to note that карандаш is actually a compound, from the
Tatar тат. кара таш, qara taş via the Turkish тур. kara daş —
meaning черный камень (графит). (It never occurred to me before that
the first 'graphite' for the first primitve pencils would have been
charcoal.)

I can tell you a word they missed, though. Just before балаган —
верхняя комната, комната над главным входом, there should have been
баклаҗан. The Turks still say patlaçan. I remember seeing it on a
Turkish menu and thinking straight away of Lithuanian 'baklažanas'.
Luckily I knew about the Turkish b/p thing (our papa is their baba)
and that ç is pronounced j (dž), because otherwise I would have
thought it was pronounced 'patlasan', which doesn't sound much like
'baklažanas'. Also, those words with just the vowel -a- all the way
through (the examples above plus Karaganda, karman, tarakan, etc.) are
usually from central Asia.

Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr.

Sep 28, 2009, 2:05:00 AM9/28/09
On Sep 27, 8:29 pm, Tadas Blinda <tadas.bli...@lycos.es> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 3:27 am, "Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr."
>
> > > Yes, they have „kaifas“ in Lithuanian too, plus the verb „kaifuoti“,
> > > which is to experience the „kaif“.  I wonder what the etymology of
> > > this word is?  Maybe Central Asian?
> > Close. From Arabic through Turkish:
> >http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki
> > "kejf", "kajf", "kaef", "qaef"
>
> The article doesn't actually list that word,

Let me try to post the full link again:

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%B8%D0%BC%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5_%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0_%D0%B2_%D1%80%D1%83%D1%81%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC_%D1%8F%D0%B7%D1%8B%D0%BA%D0%B5
Заимствованные слова в русском языке

It's there! Right below the word "kamfora" ("kafur" in Latin
letters).

In any case, I had heard of its Turlish origin long ago.

What I find intersting is htat they calim that the word "kefir" (a
kind of yogurt) comes from "kejf" through Georgian. I agree that
kefir is quite pleasant but prerfer ryazhenka (baked yogurt)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryazhenka

Baked milk

(Redirected from Ryazhenka)

Baked milk (Russian: топлёное молоко, Ukrainian: пряжене молоко) is a
variety of boiled milk that has been particularly popular in Russia
and Ukraine. It is made by cooking boiled milk on low heat for eight
hours or more.

In rural areas, baked milk has been produced by leaving a jug of
boiled milk in an oven for a day or for a night until it is coated
with a brown crust. The stove in a traditional Russian loghouse (izba)
was designed so as to "sustain varying cooking temperatures based on
the placement of the food inside the oven".[1]

Nowadays baked milk is produced on an industrial scale, as is soured
or fermented baked milk, traditionally known as ryazhenka (Russian:
ряженка). Like scalded milk it is free of bacteria and enzymes, and so
can be stored safely at room temperature for up to forty hours. Home-
made baked milk was (and still is) used for preparing a range of
cakes, pies, and cookies.
Caramelized condensed milk is a similar preparation used in homemade
pastries. It is sometimes prepared by prolonged heating of the
unopened cans with sweetened condensed milk.
-----------

The best kind is home-made from unpasteurised milk, sold at farmers
markets. You may still have it in Lithuania. Try it. It tastes like
yogurt, but not as sour, and it is pink in color and smells like
caramel candies/dulce de leche/boiled condensed milk (the pink kind).
With creme on top.

I also found a related Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaymak

> but I would agree that's
> the most likely path.
>
> Interesting to note that карандаш is actually a compound, from the
> Tatar  тат. кара таш, qara taş via the Turkish тур. kara daş —
> meaning черный камень (графит).  (It never occurred to me before that
> the first 'graphite' for the first primitve pencils would have been
> charcoal.)
>
> I can tell you a word they missed, though.  Just before балаган —
> верхняя комната, комната над главным входом, there should have been
> баклаҗан.  The Turks still say patlaçan.

Of course. Lots of foreign words are missing from there. I mean,
99.999% foreign words are missing, and probably 99% of Turkish words.
Not only baklajan but many other vegetable names must come from
Turkish, like baklajan's relative "kabachok" from Turkish "kabak".
"Arbuz" too, I suppose.