New release of Video TECO

Blake McBride

Jan 12, 2008, 2:46:50 PM1/12/08

I noticed a new release of Paul Cantrell's Video TECO at:

http://videoteco.sourceforge.net

It compiled and ran right out of the box on Ununtu Linux.

Nice.

Blake McBride

jmfb...@aol.com

Jan 14, 2008, 10:54:13 AM1/14/08
In article <13oi65o...@news.supernews.com>,

The world hasn't ended yet. Somebody posted to a.l.t. about
TECO.

/BAH

David Powell

Jan 15, 2008, 1:58:18 PM1/15/08
In article <13oi65o...@news.supernews.com>,

Thanks for that, installed it on my Mandriva box yesterday. Playtime
on Saturday.

Regards,

David P.

Christopher Browne

Jan 15, 2008, 4:20:50 PM1/15/08
Blake McBride <bl...@mcbride.name> writes:
> I noticed a new release of Paul Cantrell's Video TECO at:
>
> http://videoteco.sourceforge.net
>
> It compiled and ran right out of the box on Ununtu Linux.

Wow. I'm going to have to pull that and see how it works.

I had the sources, and even published a patch that got it to work on
'modernish' Linux systems, but then lost the sources, so have been
left with something pretty crashworthy ;-).
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxxian.html

Christopher Browne

Jan 15, 2008, 4:30:41 PM1/15/08
Blake McBride <bl...@mcbride.name> writes:
> I noticed a new release of Paul Cantrell's Video TECO at:
>
> http://videoteco.sourceforge.net
>
> It compiled and ran right out of the box on Ununtu Linux.

There's something pretty funky about it...

The documentation claims to be under a proprietary license.

Mind you, "configure" and "make" run quite quite cleanly, which is
pretty good news.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxdatabases.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html

Blake McBride

Jan 15, 2008, 7:55:41 PM1/15/08
Christopher Browne wrote:
> Blake McBride <bl...@mcbride.name> writes:
>> I noticed a new release of Paul Cantrell's Video TECO at:
>>
>> http://videoteco.sourceforge.net
>>
>> It compiled and ran right out of the box on Ununtu Linux.
>
> There's something pretty funky about it...
>
> The documentation claims to be under a proprietary license.

Sourceforge doesn't host anything that isn't certified open source. I
know because I had to certify my own stuff to get it on. The docs
haven't been updated in a long time.

MangroveRoot

Jan 24, 2008, 11:54:55 AM1/24/08
Blake McBride wrote:
> I noticed a new release of Paul Cantrell's Video TECO at:
> http://videoteco.sourceforge.net

Great news!

> It compiled and ran right out of the box on Ununtu Linux.

Not so much luck here.
My ISP (where I have a shell account) runs some form of BSD (I believe).
(Will try to get more precise info later.)

I ran "configure", and the last few lines of output were:
====
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
----

I then ran "make", and the output was:
====
"makefile", line 8: Missing dependency operator
"makefile", line 10: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
----

van...@vsta.org

Jan 24, 2008, 2:32:10 PM1/24/08
MangroveRoot <zcuk...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> Not so much luck here.

> "makefile", line 8: Missing dependency operator
> "makefile", line 10: Need an operator
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

Try "gmake" instead; GNU make has that name on some BSD based systems,
and this error message often means a GNU-style makefile uses
constructs not parsed by the BSD make program.

Andy Valencia

MangroveRoot

Jan 25, 2008, 9:51:10 PM1/25/08
van...@vsta.org wrote:
> Try "gmake" instead; GNU make has that name on some BSD based systems,
> and this error message often means a GNU-style makefile uses
> constructs not parsed by the BSD make program.

Bingo! :-D

Of course, now I discover that it does not work --
or may take some research on my part to figure out how to make it work --
in a PuTTY window from a home computer.

BUT! this is exciting! Thanks!