BTW... best teco idiom?

Andy Valencia

Dec 28, 2013, 7:51:21 PM12/28/13
BTW, I'm wondering if I'm missing a teco idiom here. What's
the best way to get to the end of a line? I've been using "l2r",
but I can't believe this common editor motion doesn't have something
more compact. Beginning of line is 0l, of course. Seems funny
that "me" (to enter my emacs macro) and ^E is about the same number
of keystrokes.

Andy Valencia
Home page: http://www.vsta.org/andy/
To contact me: http://www.vsta.org/contact/andy.html

Robin Haberkorn

Feb 18, 2014, 9:33:05 AM2/18/14
Hi Andy,

I'm using "lr" as well. l2r should only be necessary if you use DOS linebreaks!?
In SciTECO I also have function key support. So with my default fnkeys.tes, when I press the "End" key, the editor automagically inserts something like "(23C)" - or whatever is necessary to get you to the end of the line.
That's usually sufficient for me.
But yes, it would be nice if there was a "native" command to do that. Perhaps there should be something similar to "n L" for moving to the end of the n-th next line.
Unfortunately, the underlying language design problem might be much harder. Nowadays, we're expecting a quite sophisticated behaviour for single press editor commands. For instance, moving to the next line you would expect the cursor to stay in the same column. When inserting a linebreak, you are expecting something like auto-identation. All of this should be configurable and perhaps depend on the type of file you're editing.
I'm not quite sure how to solve these problems elegantly. One possibility might be a polymorphic extendable command set; or perhaps simply programmable function key support just like SciTECO implements it!?

regards,
robin

n.theodore.m...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2016, 5:24:06 PM12/15/16
DOS linebreaks are also PDP-11 linebreaks FYI.

Rich Alderson

Dec 16, 2016, 3:29:14 PM12/16/16
n.theodore.m...@gmail.com writes:

> DOS linebreaks are also PDP-11 linebreaks FYI.

Technically, no, they aren't. Unix running on a PDP-11 uses linefeed (ASCII 10.)
as its linebreak code.

What you meant, but did not say, is that DEC OSes running on PDP-11s use the
carriage return + linefeed pair (ASCII 13. + ASCII 10.). However, this is not
limited to PDP-11s, but is a feature of all DEC operating systems across all
seven general computing architectures (PDP-1, PDP-4/7/9/15, PDP-5/8/12,
PDP-6/10, PDP-11, VAX, Alpha) created by DEC.

--
Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,