Interactive teco tutorial?

n.theodore.m...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2016, 5:19:21 PM12/15/16
Hi all!

I think one of the reasons teco is not nearly as popular as vim (aside from lack of video support on old teco versions) is that it doesn't have a tutorial along the lines of vimtutor.

Video support was a MEGA deal breaker for me. No matter how much more elegant the language is compared to vim, it did not display the contents of the buffer on screen, and I simply could not stand to use a sed or edlin style editor, where I had to constantly type T to echo the current line.

Now that there's Cantrell teco for ubuntu, Haberkorn's SciTECO for everything (I even dropped megabucks to compile it for Android), and tecoc as well (its video support isn't as fancy but still nice), I've been using teco as my day to day text editor. I'm an author, so text editors mean a lot to me.

Anyway, I've been trying to make a relatively portable tecotutor for the proliferation of teco dialects currently in use. Will try to merge it into the various projects once it's done.

Nick