Re: Oldest version of TECO with source?

jmfb...@aol.com

Jun 1, 2006, 4:51:50 AM6/1/06
In article <70at729tmuoocpdm1...@4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian....@SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
<snip>

>[added alt.lang.teco]

It's been a very long time since the last post showed up
in this one. :-)

/BAH

Rich Alderson

Jun 1, 2006, 2:31:39 PM6/1/06
Brian Inglis <Brian....@SystematicSW.Invalid> writes:

> On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:54:40 GMT in alt.folklore.computers, Brian
> Inglis <Brian....@SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:

>> Rich Alderson maintains MIT TECO EMACS (v. 170), so may have an old version.

No, just the latest three or four.

>> [added alt.lang.teco]

> Some files dating from 1975-77:
> ftp://ftp.its.os.org/its/ai/_teco_.tgz
> ftp://ftp.its.os.org/its/mc/_teco_.tgz

These are far from the earliest TECO, having undergone 10 years' development
beyond the July 1965 PDP-6 TECO described in MIT AILab memo 81 (available from
the CSAIL archives at MIT at http://www.ai.mit.edu/research/publications/).

--
Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
ne...@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |

doug.qu...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2006, 6:15:19 PM6/5/06

Rich Alderson wrote:
> Brian Inglis <Brian....@SystematicSW.Invalid> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:54:40 GMT in alt.folklore.computers, Brian
> > Inglis <Brian....@SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>
> >> Rich Alderson maintains MIT TECO EMACS (v. 170), so may have an old version.
>
> No, just the latest three or four.
>
> >> [added alt.lang.teco]
>
> > Some files dating from 1975-77:
> > ftp://ftp.its.os.org/its/ai/_teco_.tgz
> > ftp://ftp.its.os.org/its/mc/_teco_.tgz
>
> These are far from the earliest TECO, having undergone 10 years' development
> beyond the July 1965 PDP-6 TECO described in MIT AILab memo 81 (available from
> the CSAIL archives at MIT at http://www.ai.mit.edu/research/publications/).

Did Project MAC (best known product:Multics) borrow TECO from CTSS?

The Multics version seems to have been written (ported?) by Richard H.
Gumpertz; the earliest remarks from the PL/I source code:

01/23/71 at 0300 by RHG to add the G, :I, X, VW, and ? commands
earlier changes by RHG went unrecorded.

-dq

Larry Kilgallen

Jun 5, 2006, 10:45:34 PM6/5/06

> Did Project MAC (best known product:Multics) borrow TECO from CTSS?

Dan Murphy wrote the original (Tape Editor and COrrector) for the PDP-1
which was contemporaneous with CTSS.