Video Teco

65 views
Skip to first unread message

S1022 guy

unread,
Jan 19, 2010, 4:56:31 PM1/19/10
to
I know there is already a topic here by this name, but Google Groups
is not allowing me to reply to it (maybe because its too old?) So,
therefore, new thread...

Interested in Paul Cantrell's Video Teco and particularly if anyone
has made an attempt to port it to Windows. Any email addr's I've
found for Paul have so far been mute; so if you know how I can reach
him, please do.

Would also love to here if there is any other Teco for Windows that
has a screen interface.

Thanks
David Carr

Tim E. Sneddon

unread,
Jan 19, 2010, 9:44:28 PM1/19/10
to

There is Tom Almy's TECO that runs on just about everything. You can
find it here:

http://almy.us/teco.html

Tim.

S1022 guy

unread,
Jan 20, 2010, 10:07:19 AM1/20/10
to
> There is Tom Almy's TECO that runs on just about everything.  You can
> find it here:
>
>      http://almy.us/teco.html
>
> Tim.

I have that TECO and it runs quite well, but what I asked for was a
teco that had a screen interface (e.g. "TV" for TOPS-x0). As far as I
can tell, Almy's doesn't for Windows(although there is a source file
that mentions VT100, but it seems to me that is for another OS
implementation; Am I wrong?)

BTW: Cantrell has contacted me and I'm looking forward to what he
sends me.

Tim E. Sneddon

unread,
Jan 20, 2010, 7:44:13 PM1/20/10
to
S1022 guy wrote:
>> There is Tom Almy's TECO that runs on just about everything. You can
>> find it here:
>>
>> http://almy.us/teco.html
>>
>> Tim.
>
> I have that TECO and it runs quite well, but what I asked for was a
> teco that had a screen interface (e.g. "TV" for TOPS-x0). As far as I
> can tell, Almy's doesn't for Windows(although there is a source file
> that mentions VT100, but it seems to me that is for another OS
> implementation; Am I wrong?)

No problem. I had used it before, but I couldn't get it to run
VTEDIT (possibly derived from TV??). That is what prompted me to
start porting TECO-32 from MACRO-32 to C. I'm about half-way
through that, but haven't had proper time to work on it for a while.

>
> BTW: Cantrell has contacted me and I'm looking forward to what he
> sends me.
>

Please share, if you can. I'd be interested in what's there. If you
or Paul would like a little piece of the web to store your work,
let me know. I have been hunting down TECOs all over the net and will
be putting something up soon (even found TECO for Multics :-)

Tim.

S1022 guy

unread,
Jan 21, 2010, 9:04:27 PM1/21/10
to
I can't see going from macro-32 to c when there is both almy's and
cantrell's.

Cantrell's sources don't appear on the files link at sourceforge, but
are under the CVS repository link on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/videoteco/develop

According to doc at :
http://www.copters.com/teco.html#RTFToC9
and his extensions doc'd at:
http://www.inwap.com/pdp10/usenet/video-teco

He went far beyond the extra mile.

I would love to run it, but I don't have the unix knowledge to
recognize on the surface whether the c libraries it needs will run on
Windows.
PS Cantrell has offered me an update.

Tim E. Sneddon

unread,
Jan 22, 2010, 11:05:39 AM1/22/10
to
S1022 guy wrote:
> I can't see going from macro-32 to c when there is both almy's and
> cantrell's.

It might sound crazy, but at the time none of the available TECOs
(that I knew of) would run VTEDIT. I'm still not sure any others
will. Not to mention I was looking for a project.

>
> Cantrell's sources don't appear on the files link at sourceforge, but
> are under the CVS repository link on
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/videoteco/develop
>
> According to doc at :
> http://www.copters.com/teco.html#RTFToC9
> and his extensions doc'd at:
> http://www.inwap.com/pdp10/usenet/video-teco
>
> He went far beyond the extra mile.
>

Paul's comments convey my own feelings. I wanted a TECO that worked
the way I want. I was happy with TECO-32 and so that's what I
worked on. However, since the binary translator on OpenVMS I64
actually works now there isn't any major need for me to work on it,
so it has been sitting. I'll finish it one day, when I get the
time :-)

Tim.

robin.h...@googlemail.com

unread,
May 11, 2013, 12:13:57 PM5/11/13
to
Hello David,

I have no idea whether anyone is still following this. But...
Working with the Video TECO code I can tell you that it is not easy to port to native Windows since it heavily relies on POSIX and terminal programming (but NOT curses). You will have a good chance getting it to compile with Cygwin, though.

You may also check out my own screen TECO implementation, SciTECO:
http://rhaberkorn.github.com/sciteco/
It is quite similar to Video TECO, especially in its immediate-execution paradigm. Also, it's written with cross-platform in mind and compiles natively on Windows (MinGW). Prebuilt binaries for Windows are provided (only Curses-based interface for now).

It also comes with a somewhat more powerful GTK+ interface that should compile on Windows as well. It is currently very experimental but when I find the time to polish it, I will provide binaries for the GTK+ interface on Windows as well.

Best regards,
Robin

Andy Valencia

unread,
May 12, 2013, 8:04:37 PM5/12/13
to
robin.h...@googlemail.com writes:
> I have no idea whether anyone is still following this. But...
> Working with the Video TECO code I can tell you that it is not easy to port
> to native Windows since it heavily relies on POSIX and terminal programming
> (but NOT curses). You will have a good chance getting it to compile with
> Cygwin, though.

Still here, and I still maintain a port of TECO for editing tasks
which need to make changes which span lines. alt.lang.teco is
quiet, but not dead!

Andy Valencia
Home page: http://www.vsta.org/andy/
To contact me: http://www.vsta.org/contact/andy.html

robin.h...@googlemail.com

unread,
May 13, 2013, 4:18:57 AM5/13/13
to
On Monday, May 13, 2013 2:04:37 AM UTC+2, Andy Valencia wrote:
>
> Still here, and I still maintain a port of TECO for editing tasks
>
> which need to make changes which span lines. alt.lang.teco is
>
> quiet, but not dead!
>
>
cool! Where is your TECO port?
btw. SciTECO is not a port but a complete reimplementation

Andy Valencia

unread,
May 13, 2013, 7:13:27 AM5/13/13
to
robin.h...@googlemail.com writes:
> cool! Where is your TECO port?

Here's a copy:

http://www.vsta.org/andy/teco.t.gz

Enjoy!

Robin Haberkorn

unread,
May 14, 2013, 9:38:15 PM5/14/13
to
On Monday, May 13, 2013 1:13:27 PM UTC+2, Andy Valencia wrote:
> ...
> Here's a copy:
>
>
>
> http://www.vsta.org/andy/teco.t.gz
>
>
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Andy Valencia
> ...

Nice. I already stumbled across your port 2 years ago and actually forked it on Github for some Linux improvements:
https://github.com/rhaberkorn/avteco

At the same time I also forked the related TECO for Ultrix, adding immediate escape sequence support:
https://github.com/rhaberkorn/teco

However I never really used either editor as an everyday tool since I felt I could not live without at least syntax highlighting and more than two buffers and features like that are non-trivial to hack into the existing codebas. :-)

I will probably absorb some ideas from your port into SciTECO. Like the m,nEQ command. But I like it more the way I implemented it in my VideoTECO fork, as a kind of filter over a buffer range (stdout replaces the buffer range).

cheers,
Robin
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages