creating image file

1 view

John Larkin

Sep 8, 2010, 11:54:11 AM9/8/10
Any thoughts on having PBCC create an image file? I'd like a data
acquisition program, currently measuring some temperatures, to be able
to periodically create a temp-versus-time graph file and push that to
an FTP site.

It would be nice to do directly, but I suppose I could create a
comma-delimited text file and shell to something (?) that creates a
graph file for me, and then scoop that back up and push to the ftp
site.

John

hutch--

Sep 9, 2010, 1:40:25 AM9/9/10
John,

It will have some to do with the capacity you can put in place at the
server end as to how you can manage this data for display on a web
site. As long as you are happy with the technique for logging the data
you have in mind, its a toss up on how you want to save this data
depending on what you want to do with it and what format it is in.
Many like to convert numeric data to string first but if you can avoid
this direct binary is a lot faster whether its integer or fp data.

If you can transfer it accurately binary is also a lot smaller so your
transmission time is lower so if you can just pass the raw data to the
server, this will be the fastest and therefore most responsive
technique but it means you must have the method at the server end to
create the graph for display. If not then you will probably have to
create the graph locally and transfer the image to the server which
will be a lot slower.

Regards,

hutch.