Hey Auric_

Wildman

Sep 7, 2012, 9:14:44 PM9/7/12
I think I have figured what I'm going have to do. There
is a lot of info on creating win16 dll's using Visual
C++ 1.5. I happen to have a copy. I ran across it about
14 years ago at a yard sale. All the books was with it too.

Only one problem, I don't speak "C". Twenty-odd years ago
when I got interested in programming, I went for assembly
and different flavors of BASIC, like PB/DOS and VB/DOS and
finally VB for Windows. I tried a version of Borland C but
for some reason it did not appeal to me. I thought the
syntax looked a bit "cryptic" and difficult to learn. Since
this is purely a hobby, I stuck with what I liked. Now I
realize that was a big mistake. Oh well, I hope this dog
isn't too old to learn a new trick. :-)

Have you had any experience with C or any of it's flavors?
I know I'm going to need some guidance over the next few
days or weeks (I hope it's not months) while I'm trying to
learn C++.

Wish me luck...........

<Wildman>

Auric__

Sep 8, 2012, 12:42:13 AM9/8/12
Wildman wrote:

> I think I have figured what I'm going have to do. There
> is a lot of info on creating win16 dll's using Visual
> C++ 1.5. I happen to have a copy. I ran across it about
> 14 years ago at a yard sale. All the books was with it too.
>
> Only one problem, I don't speak "C". Twenty-odd years ago
> when I got interested in programming, I went for assembly
> and different flavors of BASIC, like PB/DOS and VB/DOS and
> finally VB for Windows. I tried a version of Borland C but
> for some reason it did not appeal to me. I thought the
> syntax looked a bit "cryptic" and difficult to learn. Since
> this is purely a hobby, I stuck with what I liked. Now I
> realize that was a big mistake. Oh well, I hope this dog
> isn't too old to learn a new trick. :-)

That sounds very much like me. ;-)

> Have you had any experience with C or any of it's flavors?

Some. I don't particularly like C or its derivatives, but that's a
"personal preference" thing. When asked, I usually tell people that C is
read-only for me. (If I had to, I could write in C... but it would be
pretty miserable code.)

An alternative that might be worth exploring is BCX. It generally targets
Win32 (and is comprised entirely of Win32 programs (as opposed to DOS or
whatever)), but it can be set to output only standard C. (I've never
tested it outside of Win32, so I don't know how "standard" it really is.)

> I know I'm going to need some guidance over the next few
> days or weeks (I hope it's not months) while I'm trying to
> learn C++.

Allow me to suggest the group alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ -- they'll know
tons more than me.

> Wish me luck...........

Good luck... you'll need it.

--
I think you should go and be eaten in third world countries.