Delphi supports inline assembler, so why not use Delphi ?

Skybuck Flying

Sep 24, 2015, 5:53:38 PM9/24/15
Hello,

Maybe this is a strange question but here goes:

Why would not use Delphi for writing assembly language programs ?

Delphi support inlined assembler and assembler functions ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

JJ

Sep 24, 2015, 7:22:21 PM9/24/15
I somewhat did that by stripping down the mandatory units such as System,
SysInit, etc.
So that there's no wasted code in the compiled binary.

The only problem is that I can't compile as device driver binary on the fly.
i.e. with proper PE header field values.
I had to patch it after the compilation.

dunno

Sep 25, 2015, 3:03:21 AM9/25/15
"Skybuck Flying" <skybu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Maybe this is a strange question but here goes:
>
> Why would not use Delphi for writing assembly language programs ?

I remember there were people who used Borland Pascal for this exact
purpose. They were excluding all libraries to make resulting executable
smaller. If I remember correctly, there was a possibility to recompile main
BP library to exclude almost everything (dummy EXE file was just few bytes
longer than dummy EXE file compiler and linked by MASM) and then use BP
compiler as assembler with some HLL functions, and some OOP support.

> Delphi support inlined assembler and assembler functions ! ;)

If I were doing Pascal nowadays, I would either stick with FPC or (more
likely) move to Ada, specifically, GNAT compiler. I definitely wouldn't do
Windows-only compiler, which is what Delphi is. Would you like to try Ada?

P.S. I wonder if Virtual Pascal compiler is still alive.

--
dunno

dunno

Sep 25, 2015, 3:05:53 AM9/25/15
dunno <du...@dunno.dunno> wrote:
> "Skybuck Flying" <skybu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Maybe this is a strange question but here goes:
>>
>> Why would not use Delphi for writing assembly language programs ?
>
> I remember there were people who used Borland Pascal for this exact
> purpose. They were excluding all libraries to make resulting executable
> smaller. If I remember correctly, there was a possibility to recompile main
> BP library to exclude almost everything (dummy EXE file was just few bytes
> longer than dummy EXE file compiler and linked by MASM) and then use BP

"...than dummy EXE file *compiled* and linked by MASM..."

Skybuck Flying

Sep 25, 2015, 5:51:43 AM9/25/15
I see an advantage to using Delphi for assembler.

Test programs can be written in high language level ! ;)

Should make it easier to test assembler routines ?! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck =D

dunno

Sep 27, 2015, 1:39:59 AM9/27/15
Skybuck Flying <skybu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I see an advantage to using Delphi for assembler.

I don't see such advantage. Seriously, try something that clearly do have a
future. Delphi is already a past.

--
dunno