ESP8266 Basic interpreter for the internet of things.

ad...@smbisoft.com

Jul 24, 2016, 1:56:18 AM7/24/16
Hello,

I have been working on a project for quite a while now and think that this might be the right place to give it a little introduction.

http://esp8266basic.com

To star off I will explain a bit about the platform this version of basic runs on.

The ESP8266 is a dirt cheap chines made microcontroller. A module can be purchased in quantity of 1 for a little more than a buck and change. Yes. That's right. Less than 2 dollars a piece.

The real kicker for these modules is that they have built in wifi
A common module that can be purchased is the ESP-12. Below are specks for this.

Built in WIFI
Suports PWM, I2C, SPI
1 analog input pin
10 GPIO pins
1 analog input pin
Supports sleep mode for low power consumption.

Now the real magic is the ESP8266 Basic firmware. If you load one of these modules with the esp8266 basic firmware when you power it up it will start broadcasting out a wifi access point.

All you need to do is connect your wifi to that access point and type in the ip (192.168.4.1) address in to your browser.

Now you have a completely browser based programming environment for this chip.

Just click the "EDIT" link from the menu at the top of the page and you will be presented with the editor page. It has a simple text area to type your program. A save and a run button.

Below is a small example program.

button "ON", [turnOn]
button "OFF", [turnOff]
wait ' Send the accumulated page to the web browser and wait for user interaction

[turnOn]
io(po,d4,0) 'set the D4 pin low
wait

[turnOff]
io(po,d4,1) 'Set the D4 pin high
wait

What this program will do when run is display a web page with 2 buttons on it.
When you click those buttons they execute the associate branches and toggle the status of an I/O pin.

The language is amazingly simple borrowing much of the syntax from Liberty Basic.

Take a look at this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNCBQAC0C7k&list=PLeoCiKHizvH90nsLnBd_eEbzAGodfIE05&index=24

Please post any thoughts.