RE:QB64

Robert Wolfe

Jun 15, 2015, 10:57:30 PM6/15/15
->
->(Followup set to alt.lang.basic.)
->
->Has anyone tried seriously using QB64? I've been looking into it a bit
->today (yay insomnia), and I've got to say, I'm... well, I guess
->"flabbergasted" would be a good way to describe it.

This is one of the reasons I prefer PowerBASIC :)

...I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing.
---BapStats Module (bsDBASE v6.1 Build 1)

Auric__

Jun 15, 2015, 11:42:37 PM6/15/15
Robert Wolfe wrote:

> ->(Followup set to alt.lang.basic.)
> ->
> ->Has anyone tried seriously using QB64? I've been looking into it a bit
> ->today (yay insomnia), and I've got to say, I'm... well, I guess
> ->"flabbergasted" would be a good way to describe it.
>
> This is one of the reasons I prefer PowerBASIC :)

As it happens, so do I -- but I also write for Linux and OSX; no PB version
for either of those, despite a promised Linux version something like 15 years
ago.

--
All in favor keep quiet.
All opposed will be ignored.

Diesel

Sep 15, 2015, 9:42:01 PM9/15/15
"Auric__" <not.m...@email.address>
news:XnsA4BAD2ADE4CAEau...@213.239.209.88 Tue, 16 Jun
2015 03:41:18 GMT in alt.lang.basic, wrote:

> Robert Wolfe wrote:
>
>> ->(Followup set to alt.lang.basic.)
>> ->
>> ->Has anyone tried seriously using QB64? I've been looking into
>> it a bit ->today (yay insomnia), and I've got to say, I'm...
>> well, I guess ->"flabbergasted" would be a good way to describe
>> it.
>>
>> This is one of the reasons I prefer PowerBASIC :)
>
> As it happens, so do I -- but I also write for Linux and OSX; no
> PB version for either of those, despite a promised Linux version
> something like 15 years ago.

Wow.. I haven't seen PowerBASIC in years. I actually owned 3.12c? I
think it was... For DOS. :)

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.

Auric__

Sep 16, 2015, 12:50:18 AM9/16/15
I have several versions for DOS and Windows. I don't use them much any more,
for the above-listed reasons.

--
Silence is golden, knowledge is power,
so shut your goddamn mouth and listen.

Diesel

Sep 17, 2015, 12:10:08 AM9/17/15
"Auric__" <not.m...@email.address>
news:XnsA516DE269C9E5au...@213.239.209.88 Wed, 16 Sep
Very cool. I've never seen the Windows versions of PowerBASIC. It
was a great language for writing DOS programs, imho. I have no first
hand experience writing Windows based programs with it, though.

Auric__

Sep 17, 2015, 11:38:28 PM9/17/15
It's pretty good, really, but I mostly used it to write DLLs which I called
from front-ends written in VB. (That's what PBWin was originally for -- it
started off as PB/DLL, and was renamed PB/Win with v7.) I also used it for
console apps some, but I've pretty much replaced it with FreeBASIC, which
isn't nearly as good, but *is* cross-platform.

--
Everything in the universe contains flaws, ourselves included.
Even God does not attempt perfection in His creations.

Diesel

Sep 18, 2015, 4:57:40 PM9/18/15
"Auric__" <not.m...@email.address>
news:XnsA518D1FA99367au...@213.239.209.88 Fri, 18 Sep
Cool. My VB experience isn't that much. I seem to be a bit behind on
the various BASIC forks and dialects these days. I'll check FreeBASIC
out. thanks.

Do you have any experience with EmergenceBasic? EBASIC..

Auric__

Sep 19, 2015, 1:26:34 PM9/19/15
A little. Don't really like it. If I'm going to use a particular language,
it needs to be one that a non-trivial percentage of the programming public
uses, because my projects tend to be open source.

--
If evil joins us, I have done it.