Difference between qbasic and quickbasic

John Rodgers

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In article <4jl569$1...@atlas.uniserve.com> an55...@anon.penet.fi (The Source) writes:
>From: an55...@anon.penet.fi (The Source)
>Subject: Difference between qbasic and quickbasic
>Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 05:21:40 GMT

>Would someone please tell me what the difference is (if any!) between
>QBasic and QuickBasic. All I know is that QBasic comes with MS-DOS
>5.0 and up. Is QuickBasic a compiler, rather than an interpreter?
>Does it cost money?

>Please let me know, and yes the anonymous mail address works.
>The Source

Almost every version of DOS, Microsoft and IBM, came with some version or
flavor of BASIC ( Beginner's All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code). IBM DOS
Ver 7.0 comes with QBasic and Microsoft DOS 6.xx came with Microsofts last
issue of any form of BASIC that "doesn't do WINDOWS"
Microsoft QuickBasic 4.x "was" MS's advanced compiler that it SOLD to
programers to turn BASIC programs into EXEs. They no longer sell or support
this product. You will have to find a copy someone no longer wants or a new
retail copy that has not sold yet(fewer of these exist now I hear)
PAX,
TCF

Too Cool Fool 03-31-96 John Rodgers
90% of politicians give the other 10% a bad reputation.
http://www.flinet.com/~coolfool/wiz/

Byron Smith

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In article <coolfool.1...@flinet.com>, cool...@flinet.com (John Rodgers) wrote:

Hi John Rodgers! Hope you're doing well (this isn't a flame either, just a
mild correction).

>Almost every version of DOS, Microsoft and IBM, came with some version or

Actually, the IBM DOS versions lack QBasic, since QBasic is copyrighted by
Microsoft and as far as I know, was not licensed for use in any of the IBM DOS
packages.

>flavor of BASIC ( Beginner's All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code). IBM DOS
>Ver 7.0 comes with QBasic and Microsoft DOS 6.xx came with Microsofts last

IBM DOS 7.0, last I heard, had the REXX programming language but not QBasic.
I haven't heard of any IBM operating systems having QBasic in them unless you
bought OS/2. I have no idea what OS/2 Warp (3.0) has, but the 2.1 I had, had
QBasic 1.0 included (not the QBasic 1.1 that is the latest now) but changed
slightly (IBMized, as far as I could tell).

>90% of politicians give the other 10% a bad reputation.

Does this mean that only 90% get caught doing something wrong?

--
Byron Smith (un...@sat.net)
Syntax Error Home Page

Leonard Erickson

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
an55...@anon.penet.fi (The Source) writes:

> Would someone please tell me what the difference is (if any!) between
> QBasic and QuickBasic. All I know is that QBasic comes with MS-DOS
> 5.0 and up. Is QuickBasic a compiler, rather than an interpreter?

QuickBasic is a compiler.

> Does it cost money?

Yes. It used to be around $50, then MS jumped the price to around $150!

Leonard Erickson (aka Shadow)
sha...@krypton.rain.com <--preferred
leo...@qiclab.scn.rain.com <--last resort

som...@mail.sdsu.edu

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
to sha...@krypton.rain.com
I have been looking for QuickBasic 4.5 for a while, and yesterday I found
an online service that has it. The Academic version is $45 and The
standard version is $130. The address is

http://www.software.net/prdo.htm?pkin250294

Look it up if you really want it. I'm not sure if they still have the
academic version in stock, though.

+---> Mbeanis N Alzin <---+
+---> Chief Conspirator <---+
+---> ols...@mail.sdsu.edu<---+

I Alone123

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
In article <4jpbue$9...@gondor.sdsu.edu>, som...@mail.sdsu.edu writes:

>I have been looking for QuickBasic 4.5 for a while, and yesterday I found

>an online service that has it. The Academic version is $45 and The
>standard version is $130. The address is

That's A LOT!!! I got mine in academic version and i didn't realize that
it costed so much. Then I found it in DOS. please tell me that the one
that came with DOS for free isn't as good as 4.5!!!!

Egbert Zijlema

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
> That's A LOT!!! I got mine in academic version and i didn't realize that
> it costed so much. Then I found it in DOS. please tell me that the one
> that came with DOS for free isn't as good as 4.5!!!!

It is'nt, because 4.5 is a compiler that makes stand alone executables
while the free DOS-version is an interpreter. It only runs BAS-files
while QBasic is loaded.
Besides: the names are different. The DOS-version's name is QBasic, which
is an (incomplete) subset of Quick Basic, the compiler.
--
Egbert Zijlema
PO-box 60,

Daniel P Hudson

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In <4js3du$p...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ialo...@aol.com (I Alone123) wrote:
>In article <4jpbue$9...@gondor.sdsu.edu>, som...@mail.sdsu.edu writes:

>That's A LOT!!! I got mine in academic version and i didn't realize that
>it costed so much. Then I found it in DOS. please tell me that the one
>that came with DOS for free isn't as good as 4.5!!!!

Unless you prefer interpreters and emmulating system calls such as
INTERRUPTX through a CALL ABSOLUTE routine, then 4.5 is better.

It's a compiler that comes with some extra commmand that are well
worth it, the only bug you should watch out for is saving files,
be sure to specify TEXT only and not BINARY.

Byron Smith

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In article <4js3du$p...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ialo...@aol.com (I Alone123) wrote:
>In article <4jpbue$9...@gondor.sdsu.edu>, som...@mail.sdsu.edu writes:
>
>>I have been looking for QuickBasic 4.5 for a while, and yesterday I found
>
>>an online service that has it. The Academic version is $45 and The
>>standard version is $130. The address is
>
>That's A LOT!!! I got mine in academic version and i didn't realize that
>it costed so much. Then I found it in DOS. please tell me that the one
>that came with DOS for free isn't as good as 4.5!!!!

Well, actually the one that comes free with DOS isn't even the same animal.
The free one is QBasic (now 1.1), originally known as the QuickBASIC
Interpreter in its early development (hence the confusion). *QuickBASIC*
itself is (was?) a compiler-based system sold by Microsoft that Microsoft has
since abandoned. I understand Microsoft does not even sell it directly
anymore, or ever plan to update it or any of their DOS-based languages. It's a
shame, really. I bought my copy of QB45 for $42 way back when...

Incidentally, that reminds me. Provantage sells QuickBASIC 4.5 for $128 ($2
cheaper, if that $130 doesn't include s/h). I don't know if they sell for the
academic community, but their catalog can be browsed on
http://www.provantage.com.

E:\WorldNet\mail\unol.sig
70.217.31], pleased to meet you
like if you want any kind of a future in Basic then PowerBASIC is one of the
best ways to go.

Byron Smith

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In article <4ju3sk$rs_...@ZERO.POINT>, un...@sat.net (Byron Smith) wrote:
>E:\WorldNet\mail\unol.sig
>70.217.31], pleased to meet you
>like if you want any kind of a future in Basic then PowerBASIC is one of the
>best ways to go.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry, my news winsock software decided to exhibit a bug.

mervyn.baldwin

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
Here's a puzzling difference.
A program line

L=.721347 *LSUM / LM
'type of L being previously defined in DEFDBL A-Z

It's possible, very occasionally to get into this line with
LM = 0. It's easily avoided, of course, but, when it isn't
avoided the various dialect of MS basic reach differently

GWBasic gets "division by zero" and then continues.
QBasic and QuickBASIC (4.0 and 4.5) all stop dead with
"overflow". Curious!
Curiouser - if I *feed* it a zero I get "division by zero"
Curiouser still - If I look at the last value of L calculated
I get a perfectly sensible and varied number with QBasic or
QB4.0, but with QB4.5 I *always* get

L = -1.#IND

Does anybody know what that means? Is it INDefinite or
INfinity Double precision or what? and does this imply
that QB4.5 uses the FPU differently from the other QBs?

--
Best wishes,
Mervyn Baldwin.

Paul Edward Joseph King

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Egbert Zijlema (E.Zi...@uni4nn.iaf.nl) wrote:
: > That's A LOT!!! I got mine in academic version and i didn't realize that

: > it costed so much. Then I found it in DOS. please tell me that the one
: > that came with DOS for free isn't as good as 4.5!!!!

: It is'nt, because 4.5 is a compiler that makes stand alone executables

: while the free DOS-version is an interpreter. It only runs BAS-files
: while QBasic is loaded.
: Besides: the names are different. The DOS-version's name is QBasic, which
: is an (incomplete) subset of Quick Basic, the compiler.

There is more... QuickBASIC has access to libraries, with the added
ability to create your own. Library access means you can use the
CALL INTERRUPTs to access the various DOS services. This means you can do
things like give complete directory listings (unlike "Files" command),
give recursive disk usages, write your own mouse driver, and on and on.
This is nor so easily done with straight BASIC.

Paul King

--
Paul King bv...@torfree.net | Food scientist for hire
pk...@idirect.com |
| All statements are my own. Standard disclaimer.
----------------------------+------------------------------------------------

Ian Musgrave

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
G'Day All

(Paul Edward Joseph King) writes:
>From: bv...@torfree.net (Paul Edward Joseph King)
>Subject: Re: Difference between qbasic and quickbasic
>Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 22:52:27 GMT

>Egbert Zijlema (E.Zi...@uni4nn.iaf.nl) wrote:
>: > That's A LOT!!! I got mine in academic version and i didn't realize that
>: > it costed so much. Then I found it in DOS. please tell me that the one
>: > that came with DOS for free isn't as good as 4.5!!!!

>: It is'nt, because 4.5 is a compiler that makes stand alone executables
>: while the free DOS-version is an interpreter. It only runs BAS-files
>: while QBasic is loaded.

Strictly speaking QuickBasic 4.x is a package that comes with an
interpreter/editor (QB.EXE) *and* a compiler (BC.EXE). But since the
interpreter/editor allows you to invoke BC.EXE and compile within the editor
environment, most people don't notice it. There are some situations where
command line compilation with BC.EXE and LINK.EXE are desirable.

>: Besides: the names are different. The DOS-version's name is QBasic, which
>: is an (incomplete) subset of Quick Basic, the compiler.

QBASIC.EXE vs QB.EXE, the QBASIC interpreter is also slower than the QB4.x
interpreter, due to different handling of the code to be interpreted.

>There is more... QuickBASIC has access to libraries, with the added
>ability to create your own.

And modules, which make boiler plate code easy to port between applications.
COMMAND$ to access the command line. In fact QBASIC does not allow most, if
not all the QB4.5 metacommands (and $INCLUDE is really handy).

>Library access means you can use the
>CALL INTERRUPTs to access the various DOS services. This means you can do
>things like give complete directory listings (unlike "Files" command),
>give recursive disk usages, write your own mouse driver, and on and on.
>This is nor so easily done with straight BASIC.

You CAN emulate CALL INTERRUPT in QBASIC, which will give you all the benifits
above. See Douggie Greens code FAQ, available by sending email to
basi...@blissinx.demon.co.uk with 'send-me-new-code-faq' for the
emulation code and several examples or David Burbridges Home page
http://whitworth.me.ic.ac.uk/people/students/djbur/qbasic.htm
and the USEFL201 package to down load with the emulator and
many nice code examples.

For a free program, QBASIC is quite handy, and a reasonable introduction to
structured programming.

Cheers! Ian

Ian Musgrave Ph.D Ian.Mu...@med.monash.edu.au
Prince Henry's Institue of Medical Research
PO Box 5152, Clayton 3168, Australia.
Phone +61 3 550 4286 FAX +61 3 550 6125

Message has been deleted

Auric__

Nov 26, 2017, 3:59:40 PM11/26/17
ranjan.kc wrote:

> Why do I get @@@@@... while I run this program?
> ==============
> CLS x = 1 WHILE x = 1 PRINT "@";
> SLEEP 1
> WEND
> END

Because it's an infinite loop. Why did you post this as a reply to a thread
that's 21 years old?

--
Should I speed the process to its logical conclusion
and poke out my own eardrums now?