Odd question on old game code I have for HP Time Shared Basic

Tim Radde

Dec 29, 2021, 12:05:58 AM12/29/21
I printed BASIC code for a Monopoly game long ago (40+ years) from I believe an HP Time Shared Basic system that we had a remote terminal for at the local Community College. Well, I finally got it all typed in. Still finding a few errors. Problem is I have no way to run it. I might be able to boot the HP Time Shared Basic code using Simh. Don't remember much about how to use that system. Not even sure if that was the system used. But looking at a BASIC manual for that system seems to have all the commands I see in the code and in the same format. So I am trying to take the PY-Basic system that is a small Python system that can interpret BASIC code. It's not perfect and I am having to make changes to support this specific dialect of BASIC. Not sure it's even worth it. If anyone wants to see the code I can get it loaded somewhere. Any suggestions on a better way to run this? Thanks for any thoughts or ideas. Don't know if this group is even read much now.
TIm R

Marcos Cruz

Jan 23, 2022, 2:52:43 PM1/23/22
2021-12-29, Tim Radde <timr...@gmail.com> escribió/skribis/wrote/scrit:

> BASIC code for a Monopoly game long ago (40+ years) from I
> believe an HP Time Shared Basic system

> Problem is I have no way to run it.

> I am trying to take the PY-Basic system that is a small Python system
> that can interpret BASIC code.

The HP Time Shared BASIC
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Time-Shared_BASIC) code could be
manually converted into a better supported old dialect of BASIC, in
order to run the program on a modern platform. Documentation of the
source and target dialects is required.

> If anyone wants to see the code I can get it loaded somewhere. Any
> suggestions on a better way to run this?

The code would help to estimate the changes required. Maybe you could
paste it in a message here.

Tim Radde

Jan 23, 2022, 3:40:58 PM1/23/22
On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 1:52:43 PM UTC-6, Marcos Cruz wrote:
> 2021-12-29, Tim Radde escribió/skribis/wrote/scrit:

Thanks for the reply. I did try the conversion thing. Some of it just can't be translated as the operation does not exist in any other
dialect of Basic. HP Basic added many features like reading/writing data files but being able to read/write a specific record. Many
Basics allow reading/writing of files but it's sequential. And of a fixed record size. I found this HP Basic emulator that I reference.
It works up to a point, but is still missing some of the main features I need. I have added some and I can get the game to play
in a "somewhat" normal fashion. At least it helps me to find type's that I made too. The code is in 10 files. So 2000-3000 lines of code.
Pretty big for a Basic program. Has "chain" command all over the place too. Some even chain to a specific line number. Oh, and the
"common" area similar to "common" in Fortran. Not sure how to make that work yet either. This area holds many variables that are needed
between the "chained" files.