English name

Peter Cheung

Mar 23, 2021, 7:28:10 AMMar 23
Hi all, i want to pick one for the name of my simple database, which one is good and easy to pronounce for western people? These are place name in hong kong

1. shatin
2. kowloon
3. fanling
4. taiwai

thanks so much

Rod Pemberton

Mar 23, 2021, 11:09:11 PMMar 23
They're all Anglicized, i.e., written in English consonant-vowel
patterns. So, they're all easy to pronounce.

1. shatin - unfortunately, this rhymes with a swear word for the act of
defecation i.e., "shitting" - sometimes the ending 'g' is dropped in
English so the pronunciation rhymes even more "shittin'" - "shit" is a
swear word for feces - "shat" is the past tense of "shitting" -
due to various accents, southerners in the U.S. could pronounce
"shitting" as "shattin'" - accents in the U.S. are from other
non-English European languages such as French, German, Italian, Spanish
mixed with English - I would not suggest using "shatin" due to rhyming
and/or differences in regional pronunciations in the U.S.

2. kowloon - U.S. people know this word - e.g., walled city, slum -
also, it's a common name for Asian cuisine restaurants in U.S.

3. fanling - this has the word "fan" in it which means a) machine with
blades that blows air and b) people who really like something, such as a
music group or sports - the ending -ing is common in English - "ling"
doesn't refer to anything in English - this seems to me to be the most
neutral word of the four, as U.S. English speakers are unfamiliar with
it, it has one good word in it, it has a common English ending, ...

4. taiwai - U.S. people are familiar with Taiwan and support it - the
Chinese government may not wish for U.S. people to associate a product
named taiwai with Taiwan

--
Countries that won't talk to Biden: North Korea, China, Russia, Iran.

Alexei A. Frounze

Mar 24, 2021, 12:03:49 AMMar 24
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 8:09:11 PM UTC-7, Rod Pemberton wrote:
> 3. fanling - ... - the ending -ing is common in English - "ling"
> doesn't refer to anything in English

Duckling, sapling, firstling, princeling, ...

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/-ling

Alex

Rod Pemberton

Mar 24, 2021, 1:11:12 AMMar 24
Well, I guess that I should've said "doesn't refer to much of anything
in English."

Still, out of the top 1/3rd of a million most frequent words in
English, as compiled by Peter Norvig, only 950 end in -ling, i.e.,
0.285%. Not common.

https://norvig.com/ngrams/
Message has been deleted

Peter Cheung

Mar 24, 2021, 7:38:28 AMMar 24
Thanks Rod & all gentlemen

James Van Buskirk

Mar 25, 2021, 7:15:28 PMMar 25
"Peter Cheung" wrote in message
I thought Cantonese had 6+ tones thereby making it just about impossible
for non-tonal language speakers to pronounce anything correctly. That
said Americans would most readily make the connection between
Kowloon and Hong Kong.

Peter Cheung

Mar 28, 2021, 12:31:47 PMMar 28
Cantonese has 9 tones, but when i went to Australia to study, i thought the people speaking english is like singing. English has ending sound, such as ssss, ing, tttt. And Cantonese don't have much ending sound, so i thought ensligh is like singing.