new 8086 assembler

Paul Edwards

Nov 5, 2022, 1:24:56 PM11/5/22
This has just been released:

https://github.com/robertapengelly/as86

The syntax is masm/intel, but most masm directives
etc are not supported, so here is what I have changed
an example source file to:

https://sourceforge.net/p/pdos/gitcode/ci/master/tree/src/support.asm

Since this is a public domain assembler, I am looking to
switch to this.

I don't mind the fact that I can't use sophisticated procs -
that is a limit of the technology, and if I have any
complaints I can fix it myself as the C90-compliant
source code is available.

But Robert may be willing to make minor changes if it
would help with compatibility.

And I can change my programming style too.

For example is it time to retire the assume and
segment directives in favor of ... what?

ld86 is here:

https://github.com/robertapengelly/ld86

It can produce msdos .com or .exe (use msdos-i386).

Object code is 16-bit a.out which I don't think works
with anything else.

I haven't yet tried running subc assembler output through it.

BFN. Paul.