HPV is causing an oral cancer epidemic in men by outwitting natural defenses

Leroy N. Soetoro

Mar 14, 2018, 7:51:53 PM3/14/18
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-hpv-oral-cancer-in-men-
20180312-story.html

Five years ago, when actor Michael Douglas candidly revealed that his
throat cancer was linked to having oral sex, two things happened.

He made headlines that mortified his family. And he helped publicize the
fact that a pervasive, sexually transmitted virus called HPV was
unleashing an epidemic of oral cancer among men.

Since then, scientists have made headway in figuring out why HPV, the
human papillomavirus, has this glaring gender bias. Men are four times
more likely than women to be diagnosed with oral cancer, a hard-to-detect,
hard-to-treat disease that has overtaken cervical cancer as the most
common HPV-related malignancy in the United States.

To be sure, changes in sexual norms over the last few generations have
played a role in this alarming trend. But research increasingly shows the
real problem is something men have practically no control over: their
immune response.

Compared with women, men are more likely to get infected with HPV
including "high-risk" cancer-causing strains. They also are less able to
wipe out infection on their own, and more likely to get reinfected. The
reasons are unclear.

"There is good evidence that men acquire oral infections more readily than
women, even if they have similar sex practices," said Ashish A. Deshmukh,
a University of Florida HPV researcher. "And more than the acquisition,
it's the persistence of the virus. The clearance rate is not that fast in
men."

Michael Becker of Yardley has stepped up as the face of this immunological
inequity. The 49-year-old former biotech executive is health-conscious,
clean-living, happily married for 26 years and battling terminal
oropharyngeal cancer, the medical term for malignancies in parts of the
mouth and throat.

He's also battling the misconceptions and ignorance that keep too many
parents from protecting their pubescent children especially boys against
HPV-driven cancers. Two shots. That's all it takes for the leading
vaccine, Gardasil, to prevent most cervical cancers, less common genital
malignancies, and the disease that is killing Becker.

"I can't tell you how many emails I got from parents after the CBS
segment," he said, referring to a national television interview last
month. "They said, 'What do you mean this vaccine is for boys?' and 'What
do you mean oral cancer incidence has eclipsed cervical cancer?'"

HPV is a family of more than 100 virus types that can live in the flat,
thin cells on the surface of the skin, cervix, vagina, anus, vulva, penis,
mouth and throat.

The virus is spread through contact with infected skin, mucous membranes,
and bodily fluids. Some types can be passed during intercourse or as
Douglas pointed out oral sex.

While virtually all sexually active people will get infected at some
point, the virus is usually wiped out by the immune system without so much
as a symptom.

But not always.

In the cervix, persistent infection with high-risk HPV types can lead to
precancerous changes that, left alone, slowly turn malignant. Fortunately,
the Pap smear enables the detection and removal of abnormal cells before
cancer develops. What's more, age-related changes in cervical cells reduce
the risk that HPV will take hold there as women get older.

No such screening test exists for oropharyngeal sites ť the tongue, soft
palate, tonsils, the throat behind the nasal cavity ť and symptoms usually
don't appear until cancer is advanced. Becker, for example, had metastatic
disease by the time he noticed a lump under his jaw line in late 2015.

Traditionally, smoking and heavy alcohol use are the big risk factors for
oral cancer, but the non-HPV tumors linked to these bad habits have been
declining in recent years.

HPV-related tumors, in contrast, have increased more than 300 percent over
the last 20 years. The virus is now found in 70 percent of all new oral
cancers.

About 13,200 new HPV oral cancers are diagnosed in U.S. men each year,
compared with 3,200 in women, according to federal data. Treatment
surgery, chemotherapy, radiation can have disfiguring, disabling side
effects. About half of late-stage patients die within five years.

Oral HPV infection rates are skewed by gender, just like the resulting
cancers. The latest national estimates of this disparity, published in
October, come from Deshmukh and his University of Florida colleagues. They
used a federal health survey that collected DNA specimens to estimate that
7.3 percent of men and 1.4 percent of women have oral infections with
high-risk HPV types. That translates to 7 million men and 1.4 million
women.

The chance of oral infection increases for women as well as men who have
simultaneous genital HPV infections or a history of many sex partners, but
male infection rates still far surpass female rates.

Patti Gravitt, an HPV researcher at George Washington University, believes
these estimates are a bit oversimplified because women counted as
uninfected may actually have undetectably low virus levels, or HPV may be
hiding in a dormant state in their cells.

Still, Gravitt said the study is in line with others that suggest "men are
more susceptible to HPV viral infection than women."

In women, an HPV infection usually sets off the body's defense mechanisms.
The immune system makes antibodies that kill off the invader, then immune
cells remain on guard, ready to attack if the virus reappears.

But in men, something goes awry. The HIM study for HPV in Men documented
this by collecting genital, anal, and oral samples from 4,100 unvaccinated
men in Florida, Mexico and Brazil between 2005 and 2009. The samples were
tested for the presence of two high-risk HPV types and two that cause
genital warts.

Among 384 men who developed infections during a 24-month period, only 8
percent produced antibodies. But this response rate varied depending on
the site of infection; none of the small number of orally infected men
produced antibodies.

Rather than putting the immune system on guard and protecting men from the
virus, infection sharply increased the chance of getting infected again
with the exact same HPV type. And many men who got reinfected were
celibate at the time.

How could this be? Anna R. Giuliano, the researcher at the Moffitt Cancer
Center in Tampa, Fla., who led the HIM study, said recurring infections
may be due to reactivation of dormant virus, or to auto-inoculation ť the
man spreads infection from one part of his body to another. Or to
something else entirely.

While the scientific understanding of this puzzle is evolving, one
implication is clear. "HPV vaccination is the only reliable method to
ensure immune protection against new HPV infections and subsequent disease
in males," Giuliano and her co-authors declared in a recent paper.

Becker hammers that message when he is not being hammered by chemotherapy
using his self-published memoir and his blog. This week's blog gave a
shout-out to Sunday's first-ever International HPV Awareness Day, declared
by Giuliano and other members of the International Papillomavirus Society.

Becker realizes that the novelty of the vaccine, the complexity of HPV and
its link to sex are obstacles to immunization. But he focuses on the life-
saving aspect.

"Parents are being asked to vaccinate their 11-year-old child and they
can't imagine 30 or 40 years down the line, it will prevent cancer,"
Becker said. "If you don't know it's connected to six cancers, you're not
going to care. So it really should be cast as an anti-cancer vaccine."

truck.

of the Obama presidency.

The World According To Garp.

ObamaCare is a total 100% failure and no lie that can be put forth by its
supporters can dispute that.

Obama jobs, the result of ObamaCare. 12-15 working hours a week at minimum
wage, no benefits and the primary revenue stream for ObamaCare. It can't
be funded with money people don't have, yet liberals lie about how great
it is.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he was in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood queer
liberal democrat donors.

#BeamMeUpScotty

Mar 14, 2018, 8:34:09 PM3/14/18
On 03/14/2018 07:51 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-hpv-oral-cancer-in-men-
> 20180312-story.html
>
> Five years ago, when actor Michael Douglas candidly revealed that his
> throat cancer was linked to having oral sex, two things happened.
>
> He made headlines that mortified his family. And he helped publicize the
> fact that a pervasive, sexually transmitted virus called HPV was
> unleashing an epidemic of oral cancer among men.

does this mean that cigarettes really didn't create all the oral cancer
that they blamed on cigarettes?

--
That's Karma

FPP

Mar 14, 2018, 10:05:30 PM3/14/18
Of course that's what it means!
Cigarettes are actually a healthy part of a balanced diet.

Smoke up, Scotty, smoke up!

--
"Don't try to convince Trump voters of anything. You're just wasting
your breath, and the air isn't getting any better." - B Maher

#BeamMeUpScotty

Mar 15, 2018, 4:39:35 PM3/15/18
On 03/14/2018 10:05 PM, FPP wrote:
> On 3/14/18 8:34 PM, #BeamMeUpScotty wrote:
>> On 03/14/2018 07:51 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
>>> http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-hpv-oral-cancer-in-men-
>>>
>>> 20180312-story.html
>>>
>>> Five years ago, when actor Michael Douglas candidly revealed that his
>>> throat cancer was linked to having oral sex, two things happened.
>>>
>>> He made headlines that mortified his family. And he helped publicize the
>>> fact that a pervasive, sexually transmitted virus called HPV was
>>> unleashing an epidemic of oral cancer among men.
>>
>> does this mean that cigarettes really didn't create all the oral cancer
>> that they blamed on cigarettes?
>
> Of course that's what it means!
> Cigarettes are actually a healthy part of a balanced diet.
>
> Smoke up, Scotty, smoke up!

We do need to know which lies Liberals tell so that we can keep looking
for the truth because when we believe that oral cancer is from
cigarettes it means that the Courts were lied to and the system has been
corrupted and we end up thinking we were stopping the cancer by
punishing the smokers with taxes and smoking bans.... but we find that
it was all a scam and that Liberals caused more people to die of oral
cancer because of the false sense of success when they labeled smoking
as the cause.

This blows back onto *Global Warming* and those same Liberals telling us
that CO² causes Global Warming, will we find in 40 years that that is
also a lie and 90% of the cause is something else but Democrats have
been forcing taxes and other laws for the CO² narrative that they're
lying about.

The pattern is there and all you need to do is follow it.

--
That's Karma

FPP

Mar 15, 2018, 6:38:49 PM3/15/18
On 3/15/18 4:39 PM, #BeamMeUpScotty wrote:
> On 03/14/2018 10:05 PM, FPP wrote:

>>> does this mean that cigarettes really didn't create all the oral cancer
>>> that they blamed on cigarettes?
>> Of course that's what it means!
>> Cigarettes are actually a healthy part of a balanced diet.
>>
>> Smoke up, Scotty, smoke up!
>>
> We do need to know which lies Liberals tell so that...

You're a moron, Scotty...

#BeamMeUpScotty

Mar 15, 2018, 6:54:00 PM3/15/18
On 03/15/2018 06:38 PM, FPP wrote:
> On 3/15/18 4:39 PM, #BeamMeUpScotty wrote:

>>> Of course that's what it means!
>>> Cigarettes are actually a healthy part of a balanced diet.
>>>
>>> Smoke up, Scotty, smoke up!
>>>
>> We do need to know which lies Liberals tell so that...
>
> You're a moron, Scotty...

Some Liberal lies are more dangerous than others.
--
That's Karma

FPP

Mar 15, 2018, 10:26:00 PM3/15/18
"How will History judge America if it elects a madman because his
opponent used work email at home?" -Nicholas Thompson/Washington Post