Re: Woke dying bankrupt LA Times slashes a fifth of its newsroom jobs

Liz Cheney Lied

Jan 24, 2024, 5:34:08 AMJan 24
On 16 Feb 2022, Lefty Lundquist <lefty_l...@ggmail.com> posted some
news:sujl38$m2d$5...@dont-email.me:

> The LA Times went extreme left woke and lost 20-30 year customers.
> The paper had ample opportunity to call out the horrible policies of
> the economy killing Democrats ruining California and turned a blind eye
> to it. The Sacramento Bee is next. As soon as Newsom is gone, the
> SacBee will have to find another dick to suck. The owner of the LA
> Times also put his ignorant cunt of a daughter in a position to ruin
> the LA Times and she did exactly that.

The Los Angeles Times said Tuesday it laying off more than a fifth of
its journalists, in another example of how news media in the United
States and around the world are struggling to cope with the disruptions
of the internet age.

The announcement came as staff at the Conde Nast group, which publishes
Vanity Fair and Vogue, took strike action over looming job cuts, and as
belt-tightening ripples through several major titles.

The Los Angeles Times, which is bleeding cash, said it will eliminate at
least 115 newsroom positions as it seeks to right its listing balance
sheet.

"Today’s decision is painful for all, but it is imperative that we act
urgently and take steps to build a sustainable and thriving paper for
the next generation," owner Patrick Soon-Shiong said, according to the
paper.

The Times, like many legacy media, has struggled to adapt to the
economics of the online world, particularly the loss of advertising
revenue and dwindling subscriber numbers.

Unionized journalists at the paper walked off the job last week when
reports first emerged that managers were considering drastic cuts.

Soon-Shiong said the walk-out "did not help" and he expressed
disappointment that the newsroom guild had not partnered with managers
to find ways to save jobs.

Nevertheless, Tuesday's cuts seemed to come suddenly.

"The LA Times laid us off in an HR zoom webinar with chat disabled, no
q&a, no chance to ask questions," breaking news editor Jared Servantez
wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

"As a colleague described it, 'that was like a drive-by,'" he added.

"The journalism grim reaper has arrived at my door and what once was a
dream is now a nightmare," wrote reporter Queenie Wong.

Staff across the publication were understood to be affected, including
some working at the White House in this presidential election year.

The Los Angeles Times Guild, which represents the majority of
journalists at the paper, blasted cuts it said were "devastating" by any
measure.

"To our members and their families, to our morale, to the quality of our
journalism, to the bond with our audience, and to the communities that
depend on our work," the guild said in a statement.

The layoffs come on top of more than 70 positions that were eliminated
last year.

They also came days after the abrupt departure of executive editor Kevin
Merida, a respected industry figure who joined the paper in 2021 with a
brief to offer stability in a time of turmoil.

Soon-Shiong, who bought the outlet six years ago, is understood to be
subsidizing it to the tune of between $30 and $40 million a year.

The Times was once a giant on the US media stage, with correspondents
around the globe.

But years of retrenchments have seen it shrink.

Critics say while it still paints itself as a national paper with a West
Coast perspective, it has a much more parochial feel nowadays.

https://www.kpvi.com/news/national_news/la-times-slashes-a-fifth-of-its-n
ewsroom-jobs/article_0b47f57b-2496-5f5b-91e4-42706fe45e9d.html