My bolgna has a first name ... it's t-o-n then y

Quirk

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

This conversation transpired on the Camile Paglia mailing list.

Jon Said:
---------

Recently I've redecorated my room with the heads of Jeffrey Dahmer's
murder victims, with some tongues and eyeballs from Holocaust victims
for additional flair. Some people have questioned the appropriateness
of this, but please! They're *already* dead!

Then Steve Said:
----------------

Well, aren't you grown up.

I presume you mean press photos of the Dahmer victims, taken when
they were alive, not dead. Dahmer treated his victims literally like
garbage, so no remains have ever been found of most of his victims.

In any case, you wouldn't think your photo collection so charmingly
gauche if you knew Tony Hughes, one of Dahmer's last victims. I did.

Yes, Tony is "already dead." But desensitivity to the pain and death
of others, treating other people like objects, is what created
monsters like Dahmer.

Then I (Quirk) Said:
--------------------

Then maybe you should seek counseling and avoid areas of uncensored
discussion (like this list) until you are emotionally able to deal
with challenging issues.

There should be no sacred cows on this list, and to ensure that it
stays that way -- I personally promise to push every button you reveal
to me.

But once you deal with the trauma of the horrific and tragic loss of
your friend, It would be very enlightening to hear your perspective on
this issue.

We can not, however, silence everybody that makes light of issues that
any of us have a personal emotional attachment to, at the very least
it would make this list a sterile, humourless place.

So, sorry Tony ....

When the police raided Dahmer's house they found him sitting
by the frig singing "My bologna has a first name......"

-==-

What did Jeffrey tell his mother when she told him that she didn't
like his friends?

"That's Ok, Mom, Just eat the noodles!

-==-

What did Dahmer do when he finished his vegetables?

He threw away the wheelchairs!!!

-==-

What are Jeffery Dahmer's favorite foods?

A: Ground Chuck and Quiche Lorraine

-==-

What did they find in Jeffery Dahmer's medicine cabinet?

Head and Shoulders

-==-

The judge was coming down real hard on dahmer, and dahmer said
"come on judge have a heart"

-==-

Q. Why did Jeffrey Dahmer keep testicles in the fridge?

A. Somtimes you feel like a nut, somtimes you don't.

Then Steve Said:
----------------

The "issue" at hand was child pornography, which like serial murder, I
am quite able to deal with in the abstract. But the debate generated
into grotesque jokiness about the heads of Dahmer's victims. If this
was sarcasm on Jon Poletti's part, I missed it. Rereading his post, it
is possible he was offended by the idea someone else had that the
consumer of child pornography is unconnected to the production of it,
and was searching for an equally offensive analogy. So he may not have
been making fun of Dahmer's victims. Granted.

But the insensitivity of "Quirk" following my post is truly
incredible. I didn't know that respect for the dead and those who have
survived them was a debated issue on Paglia-L. No, I don't need
counseling so that I can eventually find Tony's horrible death
charmingly gauche and funny.
Rather, I hope I will always find it horrible. And as I said in the
opening, I have no problem discussing serial murder, even the Dahmer
case, in a conscientious debate, although for the life of me I can't
find what the debatable issues are here.

Armed with the knowledge that I knew Tony, you, "Quirk", thought it
would be even funnier to tell jokes about his and the other Dahmer
victims' deaths. Your first "joke" about the refrigerator, which I
will not repeat, should be annotated with the fact that Tony's head
was one of the two found in that refrigerator.

No, I don't think I need the counseling, "Quirk". You however need
counseling to regain a soul.

Then I (Quirk) Said:
--------------------

+ But the insensitivity of "Quirk" following my post is truly incredible.

If you're looking for sensitivity, you've come to the wrong place, in
a social, personal or professional forum I would have great respect
for your experience, trauma and sense of loss.

This forum is designed to challenge and to stimulate, I expect this to
be the place to pursue radical thoughts and abandon worries of decorum
and even correctness in the interest of pursuing the level of
intellectual courage of the lists inspiration -- Camile Paglia.

+ I didn't know that respect for the dead and those who have survived them
+ was a debated issue on Paglia-L.

Respect for the dead, the Jews, Women or the white tailed dear are all
fine, provided they are not used as a reason for censorship.

Out of respect for the white tail dear I declare "..." is fine, but on
the other hand -- Out of respect for the white tailed dear YOU should
NOT have said "..." will not be met kindly.

+ No, I don't need counseling so that I can
+ eventually find Tony's horrible death charmingly gauche and funny.

Tony's death *WAS* horrible and in no way charming, unfortunately
humour is a very human and a vital way to deal with such issues and
also tremendously relevant to popular culture and therefore to this
medium.

+ Rather, I hope I will always find it horrible.

As long you don't use this as an excuse to attempt to prevent others
from talking about it or even joking about it in an appropriate
context.

Given that you are a victim's friend, it would be very insensitive to
come to your home and poke fun at Dahmer's victims.

This is not your home.

+ And as I said in the opening, I
+ have no problem discussing serial murder, even the Dahmer case, in a
+ conscientious debate, although for the life of me I can't find what the
+ debatable issues are here.

I will not hold myself or this list to being totally sincere and
serious in every article we submit, in fact if the list was completely
didactic I would have no interest in it.

+ Armed with the knowledge that I knew Tony

I will use all knowledge with which I am armed.

+, you, "Quirk", thought it would be even funnier to tell jokes about
+ his and the other Dahmer victims' deaths.

Do you imagine that I know these jokes by heart?

No. It took a simple 5 second web search on the keywords "Dahmer
Jokes" to supply the necessary punchline, further illustrating that
these things ARE a part of our culture, whether you would have it so
or not.

+ Your first "joke" about the refrigerator, which I will not
+ repeat, should be annotated with the fact that Tony's head was one of
+ the two found in that refrigerator.

I am in awe.

If you step out of your emotionality for one minute and step back, you
will certainly see how utterly fascinating this exchange has been!

How lucky it is that both you are member of this list and that I found
that joke.

Totally Amazing -- If there is a more surrealy provocative thread on
the net, I've never come across it.

+ No, I don't think I need the counseling, "Quirk". You however need
+ counseling to regain a soul.

Pray for me if you like (you wont be the first), but if you ask those
that know me outside of the forum of debate and are a part of my
personal life, you will find that I take quite good care of my Karma.

I ask you this -- if Naomi Cambell died a horrible death and a friend
of her's was a member of this list, could we no longer call her a
little twit?

Respectfully,

Dmytri Kleiner -- Quirk

P.S. Oh, Nevermind.
dmy...@lglobal.com
http://www.lglobal.com/~dmytrik
"Gravity lets (c) 1996 Idiosyntactix (tm) Toronto
you down"

CouncilOf3

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

> Quirk wrote:
<snip, snip, snip (for about a half hour)>

> Dmytri Kleiner -- Quirk

How Quirky... and long.

--
Eschew Obfuscation.