What's the best text based IRC client out there these days for Linux?

Ant

May 16, 2022, 5:16:11 PM5/16/22
Hello.

I love BitchX, but it's dead and outdated these days. I can't even
compile with SSL with its latest v1.2.1 b419 developer build (git
clone). V1.3 doesn't even have a configure! This was in my over week old
new Debian bullseye v11.3 installation in a 13 yrs. old PC.

I'm trying Irssi, but don't like it so far. :(

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.
--
Slammy Monday? Dang Bucks that failed to buck Celtics and left aching foot with its ankle.
| |o o| |

superkuh

May 17, 2022, 9:03:14 AM5/17/22
On 05/16/2022 04:16 PM, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I love BitchX, but it's dead and outdated these days. I can't even
> compile with SSL with its latest v1.2.1 b419 developer build (git
> clone). V1.3 doesn't even have a configure! This was in my over week old
> new Debian bullseye v11.3 installation in a 13 yrs. old PC.
>
> I'm trying Irssi, but don't like it so far. :(
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.

I've been using xchat/hexchat for 20 years and it works for me. But
yeah, not a text based client. The only text based client I use is "ii"
from suckless. It's very minimal, basically it makes all IRC interfaces
fifos on the filesystem and you use system tools to interact with the
fifos. Very customizable.

tuxifreund

May 23, 2022, 10:48:00 AM5/23/22
Hello,

I started using WeeChat while searching for a text based IRC client and
I do like it. However, I would suggest you to use their repository when
working on Bullseye as Debian’s version is quite outdated.

I tried Irssi before too but didn’t really liked.

jan Anja

May 31, 2022, 1:24:12 AM5/31/22
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I love BitchX, but it's dead and outdated these days. I can't even
> compile with SSL with its latest v1.2.1 b419 developer build (git
> clone). V1.3 doesn't even have a configure! This was in my over week old
> new Debian bullseye v11.3 installation in a 13 yrs. old PC.
>
> I'm trying Irssi, but don't like it so far. :(
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.

catgirl[0] is a good simple client.

[0]: https://git.causal.agency/catgirl/

Ziggy

Oct 6, 2022, 10:10:11 AM10/6/22
On 2022-05-16, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I love BitchX, but it's dead and outdated these days. I can't even
> compile with SSL with its latest v1.2.1 b419 developer build (git
> clone). V1.3 doesn't even have a configure! This was in my over week old
> new Debian bullseye v11.3 installation in a 13 yrs. old PC.
>
> I'm trying Irssi, but don't like it so far. :(

Have a look at Weechat, I've used BitchX for years then tried Weechat
and I'm still using it.

Ant

Oct 6, 2022, 2:01:00 PM10/6/22
I couldn't like Weechat. I ended up with irssi, but not a fan of it. :(
--
Quiet week so far. :O Still dang old spams, allergies, aches, bodies, etc. though. :(

LucLan

Jan 31, 2024, 2:37:22 PMJan 31
On 06.10.2022 21:00, Ant wrote:
> Ziggy <Bisc...@viteac.dnns.net> wrote:
>> On 2022-05-16, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I love BitchX, but it's dead and outdated these days. I can't even
>>> compile with SSL with its latest v1.2.1 b419 developer build (git
>>> clone). V1.3 doesn't even have a configure! This was in my over week old
>>> new Debian bullseye v11.3 installation in a 13 yrs. old PC.
>>>
>>> I'm trying Irssi, but don't like it so far. :(
>

>> Have a look at Weechat, I've used BitchX for years then tried Weechat
>> and I'm still using it.
>
> I couldn't like Weechat. I ended up with irssi, but not a fan of it. :(

Ant, did you find another application for irc instead of irssi?

Hope that you still follow this group.

Ant

Jan 31, 2024, 5:51:43 PMJan 31
Nope. I went back to BitchX (BitchX-1.3-git (internal version 20210425))
after finally compiling it from its source code. I do have irssi as a
back up just in case.

> Hope that you still follow this group.

I do. ;)
--
"Since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the Lord ... they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes." --Proverbs 1:29,31. Hibernated 7.5 hrs. b4 incoming rain!

LucLan

Feb 1, 2024, 12:33:25 AMFeb 1
On 01.02.2024 00:51, Ant wrote:
> LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:

>>> I couldn't like Weechat. I ended up with irssi, but not a fan of it. :(
>
>> Ant, did you find another application for irc instead of irssi?
>
> Nope. I went back to BitchX (BitchX-1.3-git (internal version 20210425))
> after finally compiling it from its source code. I do have irssi as a
> back up just in case.
>
>> Hope that you still follow this group.
>
> I do. ;)

Cool.
So, irssi remained the lucky winner for IRC?
What about news client? slrn, pan, thunderbird? which one does the job
with less resources?!

Ant

Feb 1, 2024, 6:30:17 PMFeb 1
I guess so. I still don't like it. ;P

> What about news client? slrn, pan, thunderbird? which one does the job
> with less resources?!

I still use tin(mostly) and SeaMonkey's(rarely). Tin is text based. ;)
--
"My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense ??? Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." --1 John 2:1-2. Rain on a new month!

LucLan

Feb 2, 2024, 12:28:13 AMFeb 2
Thank you for sharing your opinion.

LucLan

Feb 2, 2024, 5:44:53 AMFeb 2
Testing tin :)

Ant

Feb 2, 2024, 8:06:09 PMFeb 2
Do you like it?
--
"From inside the fish Jonah prayed ... 'In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me. From the depths of the grave I called for help, and you listened to my cry.'" --Jonah 2:1-2. Will 2day B like yesterday? More new bites. :(

LucLan

Feb 3, 2024, 12:50:53 AMFeb 3
I think I do.
I also installed and configured also 'mutt' for mails.

Ant

Feb 4, 2024, 5:33:01 PMFeb 4
LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
> >> Testing tin :)
> >
> > Do you like it?

> I think I do.
> I also installed and configured also 'mutt' for mails.

Mutt is hard to use at first since I was used to Pine.
--
"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions ??? it is by grace you have been saved." --Ephesians 2:4-5. Slammy worky colony Caturday before the incoming slammy week with its heavy rain!

LucLan

Feb 5, 2024, 12:50:16 PMFeb 5
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:

>> > Do you like it?
>
>> I think I do.
>> I also installed and configured also 'mutt' for mails.
>
> Mutt is hard to use at first since I was used to Pine.

Pine is also text based? Mutt I had it working with google ( I wondered if 2FA is working with Mutt).
Never the less, I will try to search also Pine.

Ant

Feb 5, 2024, 10:17:21 PMFeb 5
Yes, text based. Alpine is the replacement for Pine as a fork.
--
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped..." --Philippians 2:5-6. Slammy leaky rainy nesty. :(

LucLan

Feb 15, 2024, 2:08:29 PMFeb 15
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:

>> > Mutt is hard to use at first since I was used to Pine.
>
>> Pine is also text based? Mutt I had it working with google ( I
>> wondered if 2FA is working with Mutt). Never the less, I will try to
>> search also Pine.
>
> Yes, text based. Alpine is the replacement for Pine as a fork.

Thank you, Ant.
Sorry for the delay.

Ant

Feb 15, 2024, 2:45:18 PMFeb 15
Better late than never. :)
--
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe." --Philippians 2:14-15. :) (L/C)NY (wood dragon).

LucLan

Feb 16, 2024, 6:09:10 AMFeb 16
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:

>> > Yes, text based. Alpine is the replacement for Pine as a fork.
>
>> Thank you, Ant.
>> Sorry for the delay.
>
> Better late than never. :)

I moved my applications to a new machine. tin still works \o/

LucLan

Feb 20, 2024, 2:16:44 PMFeb 20
Are still here, Ant?

Ant

Feb 20, 2024, 2:26:10 PMFeb 20
No. :)
--
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." --Galatians 2:20! Cold winter rain again. :) (L/C)NY (wood dragon).

LucLan

Feb 20, 2024, 2:33:46 PMFeb 20
Cool. How was your day? :)

Ant

Feb 21, 2024, 1:39:44 AMFeb 21
LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
> Cool. How was your day? :)

Meh.
--
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." --Galatians 2:20! Cold winter rain, with leaks, again. :) (L/C)NY (wood dragon).

LucLan

Feb 21, 2024, 7:03:27 AMFeb 21
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> Cool. How was your day? :)
>
> Meh.

finally the nntps is working in my 'tin'.

Ant

Feb 21, 2024, 2:22:03 PMFeb 21
What did you use for it?

LucLan

Feb 21, 2024, 2:31:18 PMFeb 21
Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
> LucLan <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> Ant <a...@zimage.comant> wrote:
>> >
>> > Meh.
>
>> finally the nntps is working in my 'tin'.
>
> What did you use for it?

I am using Manjaro (Arch based distro), and nntps flag was not active by default.
so I added --with-nntps to PKGBUILD file.
recompile the AUR package, and reinstall

added local CA certs to tls_ca_cert_file parameter

and then start the application with -T parameter.

NNTPS is alive