moderating an IRC session

1 view

Sandy Bremmer

Aug 1, 2004, 10:19:30 AM8/1/04
Hello. We are able to host our own IRC server and I've been looking
at various web-based clients to offer visitors to the site. I
downloaded and installed CGI-IRC. I have a question about creating a
moderated chat session and I don't know if this has to do with IRC
itself, or with the client. I.e., I don't know if IRC itself does or
does not support what we want to do. We wish to conduct a weekly
seminar/lecture series, at which time our guest speaker will address
the audience (via IRC). My question is, can we stop (moderate) others
from having their chat post coming through while the speaker is
conducting the lecture, then when he or she has finished the lecture,
open up discussion with the visitors for Q&A?

I have seen some Java-based dedicated chat programs/servers, such as
ParaChat, that supposedly supports this, but the first choice would be
an IRC solution via our server. I'm reading through IRC docs for
setting up the server. If someone is aware that we can, or cannot,
achieve our objective mentioned above, please post a reply or if you
have suggestions on how best to pull this off, that would be great.

Thanks!!

p.s. Please reply to the newsgroup, the email address doesn't work
because of spam.

Remco Rijnders

Aug 1, 2004, 11:10:07 AM8/1/04

Hi Sandy,

Moderated channels are a standard part of the IRC protocol. Channel
operators can set and remove the moderation flag on a channel:

/mode #channel +m
to turn it on and
/mode #channel -m
to turn it back off.

During the time that the channel is set +m only people who are channel
operators (/mode #channel +o nick) or who are 'voiced' (/mode #channel +v
nick) can talk. If you then want others to be able to talk, you can voice
them (+v) or if you want everyone able to talk, you can remove the
moderation flag on the channel (-m).

I do not know if CGI-IRC as a client allows one to give ops or voice, but
if it does, then the commands I gave above should work.

Good luck!

Remmy

--
Serenity-IRC, the Serene IRC network -=- http://www.serenity-irc.net/

Andy Smith

Aug 1, 2004, 12:32:01 PM8/1/04
Remco Rijnders wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 14:19:30 GMT, Sandy Bremmer
> <no_email@no_email_thanx.com> wrote:
>> We wish to conduct a weekly seminar/lecture series, at which time our
>> guest speaker will address the audience (via IRC).

[...]

> I do not know if CGI-IRC as a client allows one to give ops or voice, but
> if it does, then the commands I gave above should work.

It does, and a typical way to run such a lecture/seminar is to ask the users
(who are all non-voiced) to msg the speaker (or helpers if the speaker
isn't too irc-literate) with their questions which the speaker then
answers. Optionally voice the user who wants to talk until their question
is answered.

--
The Blitzed IRC Network
http://blitzed.org/

Keith Gable

Aug 1, 2004, 5:37:18 PM8/1/04

I've also seen it done with two channels. One channel would be the
channel where the guest would speak and answer questions, and the other
channel would be a channel where all users could speak and ask
questions. It could get slightly hectic, so if your IRC server supports
it, you may want to only allow identified users to join the channels.
You also would want #SpecialGuest_Answers to be moderated, and no users
would have a voice. Good names for them would be #SpecialGuest_Questions
and #SpecialGuest_Answers. If you want to conduct a seminar, you may
want to allow the speaker to make #SpecailGuest_Questions moderated, so
users cannot speak while the speaker is talking. When the speaker is
ready for questions, he/she would -m the questions channel, and each
participant should prefix their questions with Q:. Ex: Q: What is random
nucleotide polymorphism (sorry, got that from a movie ^^,). The speaker
would then paste the question he/she wants to answer and then answer it
with A: I have no idea. or whatever.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft uses that system for MSDN chats. I might
be wrong, since they do use MSN Chat's server, and MSN Chat has a
special guest mode (which makes the ActiveX Control behave differently).
Hope that helps you.

--
Keith Gable
Lead Programmer of the Ignition Project

Lee Mills

Aug 2, 2004, 5:13:58 AM8/2/04
ConferenceRoom (if you want to buy it) has the feature of moderated
events. The mode +M #hehe_questions will send the +m users chat
sessions to that room if +N #hehe was set in #hehe_questions this
feature is useful for example if you have a celeb in the channel
he/she can sit in the both channels and answer questions if she/he
feels fit.. Its very useful with the Auditorum Mode as well as it
keeps the channel Free from JOIN floods as well (+A) so the modes +MA
in #hehe and #hehe_questions has +N it is a very handy feature but
if Sandy doesnt want to fork out for this then Why doesnt Keith think
about adding this type of feature into his own Project.. Then we can
all benefit for it :) Thats all from me.. If you want to try out
ConferenceRoom it also has a Java chat client check out
www.webmaster.com sandy....

:o)

Lee Mills

Aug 2, 2004, 5:20:05 AM8/2/04
Sorry i didnt read the post properly ConferenceRoom is an IRC Server
and i posted it to quick cause i didnt read above the lines my
apologies but if you are concidering maybe you could use Webchat the
Server based on ConferenceRoom and email an Administrator to allow you
to do those rooms.. But i dont now the policys on that Server.. If you
would like to try http://www.webchat.org (mIRC irc.webchat.org) but
like ive said i aint sure on there policys so check with the
Administrators as you need to be Server Administrator (IRCOP) to set
these modes bit stupid really but thats the Server Software for you..
Anyway i'll stop preeching hope everything works out for you..

:o)

n-i-e-u-w-s

Aug 2, 2004, 6:55:43 AM8/2/04

"Sandy Bremmer" <no_email@no_email_thanx.com> schreef in bericht
if you are hosting the server maybe 'auditorium' mode would be an idea ?

--
/////
(o) (o)

Things can only get better .....

http://www.dome-net.nl

Mark Owen

Aug 2, 2004, 1:56:44 PM8/2/04
I wasn't going to bring it up but now that you have...

The modes you're talking about were added prior to our adding full event
managment and multi-level moderation into the server. Though for smaller
events using the +MNA modes work really well. If you need something where
you have hundreds or thousands of guests in a really large event then you
more than likely will need people to screen the questions prior to their
getting to an event speaker. With some of the larger events we've done
there have been up to six levels of moderation, a few just to get rid of
'junk', several to get rid of 'off topic' questions, then usually a pass by
their publicist or manager prior to being forwarded to the guest speaker for
answer. You can get details by going to the link below.

http://www.webmaster.com/support/eventwizard.htm

There's one other way to do this with ircd if the client supports sending
text to an alternate channel (though this will not work with mIRC very
well). You have the client set to receive on #event and to send its text to
#questions - you set #questions +is-n and then you can copy and paste the
questions sent to the back channel manually to the front. While this
doesn't work quite as well as the +MNA channel modes that CR has it will
work with ircd as it is. You'd just have to find out if jirc (or another
client) had the ability to send its text to the back channel.

Mark Owen

"Lee Mills" <soundl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Keith Gable

Aug 2, 2004, 4:28:35 PM8/2/04

Actually I'm currently doing some final testing on +x (IRCX Auditorium).
I also intend to make a "special guest" mode sometime. I'm not 100% sure
how exactly I will handle it, but it should be easy enough for
administrators to set up (well, assuming they already know how to
configure ignitionServer -- if they can't figure that out, chances are
they probably won't be able to figure out "special guest" mode).

--
Keith Gable
Lead Programmer of the Ignition Project
http://www.ignition-project.com/
ICBM: 35.540383, -94.988756

*Joshua 1:9 :: The Message:* Haven't I commanded you? Strength! Courage!
Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. GOD, your God, is with you every
step you take.

M2Ys4U

Aug 2, 2004, 4:40:18 PM8/2/04
> if you are hosting the server maybe 'auditorium' mode would be an idea ?
well, IRCX mode +x ('Audiorium') would physically hide everyone else
in the room from everyone exept +o/+q.. which might deter people
somewhat.

n-i-e-u-w-s

Aug 3, 2004, 1:21:57 AM8/3/04

"M2Ys4U" <m2y...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

thats correct...but if you want everybody to just listen to 1 person instead
of chatting with eachother it might be an option......(provided you inform
peoples about this special roommode when the enter)

--
/////
(o) (o)

Things can only get better ..... (n-i-e-u-w-s)

http://www.dome-net.nl

M2Ys4U

Aug 3, 2004, 6:10:40 PM8/3/04
"n-i-e-u-w-s" <n-i-e...@home.nl> wrote in message
> Tats correct...but if you want everybody to just listen to 1 person instead

> of chatting with eachother it might be an option......(provided you inform
> peoples about this special roommode when the enter)

Yeah.. MSN had a good idea with their "Live" chats with people (e.g.
filmstars), where you have one room for the actual Q&A (questions
submitted by separate form) and one for everyone else to reside in..
and if i'm not mistaken mode +m was set on this second room whilst the
Q&A was taking place.

That could be an option, if you could rig your IRC server to do
something like this.. or even just your web-end of it (and mode +is
your lecture room) so people can only view the lecture room.

Keith Gable

Aug 3, 2004, 7:20:23 PM8/3/04

They can't view a lecture room if it's invite only (+i). MSN Chat's
system used a bunch of proprietary commands, and the guests are using a
special client. At least, that's what I've been told.

The easiest way to handle it (assuming that they're using Unreal or
something) would be to have two channels, and a Java chatroom that joins
both channels. One channel would be moderated at all times (for the
lecturer), and the other one would be moderated except for when the
lecturer is waiting for questions. If the server supports auditorium,
set auditorium on the lecture channel. If you want to allow discussion,
leave the other one alone. If you don't, make it auditorium too.

Lee Mills

Aug 5, 2004, 6:26:14 PM8/5/04
hmm thats a nice feature that event wizard that Mark just posted about
just had a nosey and it must be a new thing they have added it looks
far more easier than typing modes upon modes to set yer room up plus
you have more control over it.. :o) groovy