I cannot connect to telehack.com:6668 using Tails

Scientific (she/her) ⚧

Feb 5, 2022, 3:12:54 PM2/5/22
Now it's a serious question, not some alt.atheism bullshit.

Whenever I attempt to SSH to telehack.com port 6668 on Tails 4.26, it
displays this error:

> nc: connection failed, SOCKSv5 error: General SOCKS server failure

Is this a Tor fault?

Clint Kimble

Mar 5, 2022, 3:50:03 AM3/5/22
In article <stmlo5$pad$3...@dont-email.me>
=?UTF-8?B?U2NpZW50aWZpYyAoc2hlL2hlcikg4pqn?=
The issue is that Tails' ssh config will try to use Tor to
connect to any internet routable address, with exceptions set
for private IP ranges.

Since you're referencing the public address, ssh is trying to
use Tor to connect but since the destination only accepts
connections from other devices on the same network, it cannot
establish a Tor connection.

Tails' iptables configuration would also mean that even if ssh
wasn't trying to proxy the connection over Tor, a connection to
an internet address that wasn't made through Tor would be
dropped.

You could setup an onion to provide ssh access over Tor (even a
single-hop-onion to improve latency, since the server doesn't
need location anonymity) which would allow you to ssh to it from
Tails, otherwise you'd need to be able to route to it from a
private IP range, specifically one of: 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12
or 192.168.0.0/16