Linksys BEFW11S4 V2: How to upgrade firmware?

Tony Tran

Apr 20, 2002, 6:23:44 PM4/20/02
I just got a new wireless BEFW11S4 V2 router, firmware version 1.40.2 (11/2001)

How do you upgrade firmware to the newer firmware version 1.42.7?
I tried to follow the instruction from the manual, but the help screen
doesn't have the screen where you can download firmware (page 29)

Can somebody send me a copy of this new firmware and instruction to load?

Also another question on this wireless router: What is the best laptop
cardbus to be used with the Linksys router?
I heard that the Linksys cardbus is not good with this router, is it true?

Thanks
Tony
email: tony...@contour.com

Blaine Hamrick

Apr 20, 2002, 8:02:35 PM4/20/02
"Tony Tran" <tony...@contour.com> wrote in message

Tony: Version 2 has not had any firmware updates released yet, as it is a
very new product and the internal design in completely different tha the
origianl BEFW11S4. Trying to upgrade firmware on Version 2 may render it
inoperable. If you are having specific problems, perhaps I could assist if
you give me the details.
--
Blaine Hamrick, AL7HH
Irving, Texas

Fearless

Apr 20, 2002, 7:44:07 PM4/20/02
download from www.linksys.com

You may have your router set up to prevent you from downloading firmware.
You can do it manually by following the instructions included with the zip
file from above link. Don't trust any firmware that is emailed to you.

Chris Puskar

Apr 20, 2002, 10:05:27 PM4/20/02
The 1.42.7 is a BETA release for V2 ONLY!

"Blaine Hamrick" <ham...@gte.net> wrote in message

dave saltz

Apr 20, 2002, 11:30:30 PM4/20/02
Chris Puskar wrote:
> The 1.42.7 is a BETA release for V2 ONLY!

There is a 1.42.7 beta for the v1 as well.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3079601~root=equip,16~mode=flat

Dave

Someone

May 9, 2002, 11:02:39 AM5/9/02
Though this was discussed back in April, 1.42.7 is now out of beta and
displayed on the usually firmware page on the linksys site.

Don King

May 9, 2002, 2:12:58 PM5/9/02
Sorry, off topic.
What are the major advantages of version 2 compare to version 1 ?

"Someone" <use...@eleventy7.org> wrote in message

Sbailey

May 13, 2002, 10:39:14 PM5/13/02
Where exactly is it on the LinkSys site? I find no firmware at ALL for the
ver2 and only 1.39 for Ver1 as of 5/13/2002

--
SB

hunter

May 19, 2002, 7:38:30 PM5/19/02
On Tue, 14 May 2002 02:39:14 GMT, "Sbailey"
<sbailey...@triad.rr.com> wrote:

>Where exactly is it on the LinkSys site? I find no firmware at ALL for the
>ver2 and only 1.39 for Ver1 as of 5/13/2002

I just looked as of 5/19/02 and come up with the same info. Can
someone shine some light on this? Is there really a 1.42 version for
BEFW11S4 V2?

Dennis Rex

May 20, 2002, 10:00:01 AM5/20/02
There is a beta version, 1.42.7, which adds UPnP, wireless MAC address
filtering and disable SSID broadcast features. No one seems to have a copy
of the shipping release (1.40.2) for the v2, however. You will have no way
to go back if you don't like 1.42.7 or have problems. If you're OK with
that, and really need those features, go here:
<http://www.evansconforti.com/befw11s4/>

Intermittent loss of wireless function has been reported with this version,
among other things. Read more here
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3043920~root=equip,16~mode=flat

The v2 of the S4 is made for Linksys by a different OEM than the original.
Some folks seem to have a little better range. Functionally, they are the
same.

"hunter" <dpb...@attbi.com> wrote in message