Why do they put GPS in new AC WISP radios nowadays?

Andy Burnelli

Jun 12, 2022, 10:48:43 AM6/12/22
Why do they put GPS in new AC WISP radios nowadays?
<https://i.postimg.cc/dtFnFCrX/speedtest26.jpg> WISP AC PRISM uses GPS

I was helping a friend set up a Verizon femtocell way out in the boonies
<https://i.postimg.cc/x17ChVzf/speedtest25.jpg> Verizon femtocell setup

And in the debugging process I noticed that new WISP radios nowadays have a
GPS light when I checked the signal strength indicators on the transceiver.

My rooftop radios do NOT have GPS - what is the use of GPS in WISP today?
<https://i.postimg.cc/XJChDCPr/spare-access-points.jpg> My old Wi-Fi APs
--
Usenet is a kind-hearted purposefull helpful team contribution endeavor.

Jeff Liebermann

Jun 12, 2022, 1:17:21 PM6/12/22
On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:49:04 +0100, Andy Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Why do they put GPS in new AC WISP radios nowadays?
> <https://i.postimg.cc/dtFnFCrX/speedtest26.jpg> WISP AC PRISM uses GPS

<https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204976524-airFiber-How-many-radios-can-I-co-locate-at-the-same-location->
"Ubiquiti's HDD mode combined with the GPS Sync technology allows all
co-located radios to simultaneously transmit. This is extremely
effective in minimizing co-location interference."

airMAX - GPS Sync FAQ
<https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009254808-airMAX-GPS-Sync-FAQ>

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Jeff Liebermann

Jun 12, 2022, 1:28:56 PM6/12/22
On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 10:17:14 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:49:04 +0100, Andy Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Why do they put GPS in new AC WISP radios nowadays?
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/dtFnFCrX/speedtest26.jpg> WISP AC PRISM uses GPS
>
><https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204976524-airFiber-How-many-radios-can-I-co-locate-at-the-same-location->
>"Ubiquiti's HDD mode combined with the GPS Sync technology allows all
>co-located radios to simultaneously transmit. This is extremely
>effective in minimizing co-location interference."
>
>airMAX - GPS Sync FAQ
><https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009254808-airMAX-GPS-Sync-FAQ>

More:

GPS Sync Design Guide - Ubiquiti
<https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/GPS-Sync/GPS_Sync_Design_Guide.pdf>

David Lesher

Jul 5, 2022, 6:04:50 PM7/5/22
Andy Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com> writes:

>Why do they put GPS in new AC WISP radios nowadays?
> <https://i.postimg.cc/dtFnFCrX/speedtest26.jpg> WISP AC PRISM uses GPS

>I was helping a friend set up a Verizon femtocell way out in the boonies
> <https://i.postimg.cc/x17ChVzf/speedtest25.jpg> Verizon femtocell setup

>And in the debugging process I noticed that new WISP radios nowadays have a
>GPS light when I checked the signal strength indicators on the transceiver.

>My rooftop radios do NOT have GPS - what is the use of GPS in WISP today?
> <https://i.postimg.cc/XJChDCPr/spare-access-points.jpg> My old Wi-Fi APs

Clearly you need a KS-15676 in your collection:
<http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/radio/BSP402421100/p01.html>
--
A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com