Do access points need to have a network cable plugged into them?

Laszlo Hollyfeld

Oct 6, 2002, 2:26:05 PM10/6/02
Hi There,

I'm looking to simply extend the signal of my linksys wireless router.
I want to buy another access point for the network, but am unsure of
how they are installed. If I provide power to the access point, is
that all it needs to function? I don't want to have to run any cables
to the access point. Is an access point what I need?

Thanks for your time and help,
Laz

Halfton

Oct 6, 2002, 3:29:47 PM10/6/02
"Laszlo Hollyfeld" <laszloh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

if you just want to wirelessly network a few machines just run the WiFi
cards in AdHoc mode

use same ssid, channel and workgroup name but unique Netbios "computer" name
on all machines

but yes an access point can be used as a freestanding "unconnected" hub

hth & gl
Joe

Cosmik Debris

Oct 6, 2002, 6:25:34 PM10/6/02
laszloh...@hotmail.com (Laszlo Hollyfeld) wrote in message news:<a7d808a1.0210...@posting.google.com>...

You need to plug every access point into the wired network unless the
AP can be configured as a relay. Some APs (D-Link DWL 900+ for
example) do allow this mode of operation. I am not sure whether the
D-Link will work as a relay for other APs or not.

Eric Kotz

Oct 7, 2002, 7:43:09 PM10/7/02
I believe the answer to the original post-best I can tell, the original
poster is hoping to use the access point as basically a "wireless repeater"
As far as I know, no access point can do this. You would need two in a
back-to back mode or similar.

Eric Kotz
newsg...@erickotz.com

"Halfton" <hal...@pickup.invalid> wrote in message

Halfton

Oct 7, 2002, 9:28:58 PM10/7/02
no, the AP in the middle will allow a bit more distance between the PC's but
if both PC's broadcast at same time he will have a Hidden node problem
http://aqua.comptek.ru/test/HiddenNode/hidden_node_en.html

but it will work to certain extent & the AP will function w/o a wired link
to a lan

hth & gl
Joe

"Eric Kotz" <newsg...@erickotz.com> wrote in message

Halfton

Oct 7, 2002, 9:48:20 PM10/7/02
but yes it's better to get a dedicated repeater, two cheap AP's Back to Back
or use Directional antennas to extend range

hth & gl
Joe