2bad google ruinedd the usnet

BYANYOTHER NAME

Mar 11, 2020, 6:06:45 AM3/11/20
bring back dejanews.
break up google. this is no duplicate

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 21, 2020, 9:14:42 PM3/21/20
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 19:19:19 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:06:43 -0000 (UTC), BYANYOTHER NAME wrote:
>
>> bring back dejanews.
>> break up google. this is no duplicate

>If anybody can fix this guy... Jeff, can you help this guy?
><ducking>
>-sw

No, I can't help him.

The problem with raising the dead is that you end up with a zombie
which is not quite what you wanted and lacking in many ways.

Breaking up Google will likely follow the same path as breaking up
AT&T in 1982. Those who held Baby Bell stock made money from the
breakup. When the Baby Bells eventually began buying each other, they
made more money. Eventually the AT&T which emerged from these
conglomerations was a shadow of its former glorious monopoly. In
other words, a Zombie.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

GETOFFYOURARSEANDDO SOMETHING

Mar 22, 2020, 3:19:31 AM3/22/20
BYANYOTHER NAME blethered:

> 2bad google ruinedd the usnet

You can fix that, all by yourself. Follow the instructions on the
"Usenet Improvement Project" pages:
<https://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/>.

For you and other Xnews users, click on "Xnews" in the left panel.

> bring back dejanews.

Dejanews dropped Usenet because its Usenet was losing money, not making
it. You have no clues how to turn that around.

duh_IMA-STOOPID_A-Io-eadmin

Mar 23, 2020, 3:14:24 AM3/23/20
Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 19:19:19 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:06:43 -0000 (UTC), BYANYOTHER NAME wrote:
>>
>>> bring back dejanews.
>>> break up google. this is no duplicate
>
>>If anybody can fix this guy... Jeff, can you help this guy?
>><ducking>
>>-sw
>
> No, I can't help him.
>
> The problem with raising the dead is that you end up with a zombie
> which is not quite what you wanted and lacking in many ways.
>
> Breaking up Google will likely follow the same path as breaking up
> AT&T in 1982. Those who held Baby Bell stock made money from the
> breakup. When the Baby Bells eventually began buying each other, they
> made more money. Eventually the AT&T which emerged from these
> conglomerations was a shadow of its former glorious monopoly. In
> other words, a Zombie.

Hah, the usenet is a zombie now. thanks to google. It USED to be a
valuable source of information, but like this group, it's nothing now.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 24, 2020, 1:52:55 PM3/24/20
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 23:23:06 -0700, Johann Beretta
<ber...@nun-ya-bizness.com> wrote:

>On 3/21/20 6:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
><snip>
>> Breaking up Google will likely follow the same path as breaking up
>> AT&T in 1982. Those who held Baby Bell stock made money from the
><snip>

>Tsk tsk, Jeff. AT&T was broken up on December 31, 1983 (not 1982).

Ummm....
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System>
The breakup of the Bell System was mandated on January 8, 1982
by an agreed consent decree...

However, you're correct about the date when the breakup happened:
Effective January 1, 1984, the Bell System's many member
companies were variously merged into seven independent
"Regional Holding Companies"...

Grant Taylor

Mar 24, 2020, 8:50:59 PM3/24/20
On 3/23/20 1:14 AM, duh_IMA-STOOPID_A-Io-eadmin wrote:
> Hah, the usenet is a zombie now. thanks to google. It USED to be a
> valuable source of information, but like this group, it's nothing now.

There's still plenty of life in Usenet. There's just a pittance
compared to what it once was.

I subscribe to over 300 newsgroups and actively participate in more than
50 a week. There is still plenty of worthwhile content to be had.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

duh_IMA-STOOPID_A-Io-eadmin

Mar 31, 2020, 12:39:48 AM3/31/20
Johann Beretta <ber...@nun-ya-bizness.com> wrote in news:r5c9b9$pkn$1
@dont-email.me:

> On 3/23/20 12:14 AM, duh_IMA-STOOPID_A-Io-eadmin wrote:
> <snip>
>> Hah, the usenet is a zombie now. thanks to google. It USED to be a
>> valuable source of information, but like this group, it's nothing now.
>>

> Google had nothing to do with it. If you had any clue and knew anything
> about history, you'd know that the death of Usenet began the moment AOL
> connected to the network and began giving its mouth-breathing moron
> subscribers access.
>
> Even that was only part of the reason. Times change. Many old
> technologies /protocols died (or declined) and were replaced due to
> better, or at least easier, alternatives. Gopher and WAIS are gone.
HTML
> and HTTP killed off those two. IRC declined when Instant Messaging
> became a thing.

I must be somewhat good, ... YOU answered. quit putting your stupid shit
Pgp sig in your messages nobody wants to talk to you.

> You're a troll and not even a good one.
>
> --------------0F92A45C290B5D4E2B07F602
>
> Attachment decoded: pEpkey.asc
> --------------0F92A45C290B5D4E2B07F602--

BYANYOTHER NAME

Mar 31, 2020, 12:42:26 AM3/31/20
Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote in news:r5e9ti$s9f$1
@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net:
u know it used to be when dejanews was here that you could actually do
meaningful searches on the usenet and actually get valuable information,
not just a bunch of spamming crap and lies. Break up google. Break up
facebook, breakup all the fucking pig/yuppie/incompetently run corrupt
internet monopolies.

BYANYOTHER NAME

Apr 3, 2020, 7:25:49 PM4/3/20
GETOFFYOURARSEANDDO SOMETHING
<GETOFFYOURARSE...@YAHOOO.INVALID> wrote in
Sure I do. Break up Google, Microshit, Faceliars and the rest. Bring the
net back to the people. Get rid of netcops, shit admins, greedy
incompetent website operators and other low lives.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Apr 3, 2020, 8:37:41 PM4/3/20
BYANYOTHER NAME <BYEANYO...@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>Sure I do. Break up Google, Microshit, Faceliars and the rest. Bring the
>net back to the people. Get rid of netcops, shit admins, greedy
>incompetent website operators and other low lives.

Ahh yes, I do miss the old Usenet flame fests and cancellation wars, the
freshman swarm every September and the joys of everyone getting a modem for
Christmas.

BYANYOTHER NAME

Apr 7, 2020, 2:40:58 AM4/7/20
Arthur Conan Doyle <do...@bother.com> wrote in
Now you have flame wars except you can only fight back if you pay
corrupt site admins. Now you have usenet admins that try to block you
whenever someone objects to what you say. You have high speed internet
so they can send you viruses and trojans faster and so the rich can have
better internet than the poor. Yeah I do miss the good ol days when
people on the net were mostly intelligent and not a bunch of wankers.

Jeff Liebermann

Apr 8, 2020, 4:59:41 PM4/8/20
On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 15:07:32 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 18:15:02 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
>> Breaking up Google will likely follow the same path as breaking up
>> AT&T in 1982.

>I'm not so sure about that. Google provides valuable services to
>the Intelligence and law enforcement communities, and the Government
>appreciates a single, easily pliable conduit for which to obtain
>that information and services.
>-sw

Well, you might be right. The government would be primarily
interested in those divisions that track individuals, collect personal
information (spying), sniff email, data center operations, create user
profiles, etc. If the Feds break off just those divisions that are
involved in these activities, the remaining divisions, such as
advertising, productivity software, cloud storage, videos, balloon
communications, etc could still be profitable. It would be a weird
looking breakup, but I think it could be made to function without
losing much functionality to any of the resulting divisions.

"All the companies and divisions under Google's parent companies,
Alphabet, which just made yet another shake-up to its structure"
<https://www.businessinsider.com/alphabet-google-company-list-2017-4>

Johann Beretta

Apr 18, 2020, 7:59:09 PM4/18/20
On 4/3/20 4:25 PM, BYANYOTHER NAME wrote:

> Sure I do. Break up Google, Microshit, Faceliars and the rest. Bring the
> net back to the people. Get rid of netcops, shit admins, greedy
> incompetent website operators and other low lives.

Who? Who is going to set up the servers? You? Yeah.. okay...

The people have spoken. They aren't interested in anything that requires
more skill than Facebook.. Break up Facebook and a clone will take its
place.

You're ranting. You hate the world so you're here to bitch. You aren't
proposing anything. "Get rid of shit admins" Yeah? How the fuck are
you going to accomplish that? Do you even know what the Internet is?

Johann Beretta

Apr 18, 2020, 8:00:34 PM4/18/20
On 4/6/20 11:40 PM, BYANYOTHER NAME wrote:

> Now you have flame wars except you can only fight back if you pay
> corrupt site admins. Now you have usenet admins that try to block you
> whenever someone objects to what you say. You have high speed internet
> so they can send you viruses and trojans faster and so the rich can have
> better internet than the poor. Yeah I do miss the good ol days when
> people on the net were mostly intelligent and not a bunch of wankers.

All usenet servers have ALWAYS been privately owned by somebody or some
organization.

You haven't proposed anything useful except to bitch about how good it
was back in the olden days.

Johann Beretta

Apr 18, 2020, 8:01:54 PM4/18/20
On 4/8/20 1:07 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 18:15:02 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
>> Breaking up Google will likely follow the same path as breaking up
>> AT&T in 1982.
>
> I'm not so sure about that. Google provides valuable services to
> the Intelligence and law enforcement communities, and the Government
> appreciates a single, easily pliable conduit for which to obtain
> that information and services.
>
> -sw

You don't think AT&T provided the government with a single point to
eavesdrop on people?

Were you even alive in 1984?

Johann Beretta

Apr 18, 2020, 8:03:18 PM4/18/20
On 3/30/20 9:39 PM, duh_IMA-STOOPID_A-Io-eadmin wrote:

> I must be somewhat good, ... YOU answered. quit putting your stupid shit
> Pgp sig in your messages nobody wants to talk to you.

.. You just talked to me. And I'll put my PGP sig in if I fucking want
to. Suck a bag of dicks, pal.

aarona...@gmail.com

May 12, 2020, 3:26:51 PM5/12/20
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 3:06:45 AM UTC-7, BYANYOTHER NAME wrote:
> bring back dejanews.
> break up google. this is no duplicate

It was B1FF who ruinedd the usnet.