Google Mozilla Wigle _nomap & Microsoft _optout_ broadcast SSID

Martin Brown

Apr 25, 2021, 1:21:22 PM4/25/21
Some location services kind of sort of respect the _nomap/optout
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/1725632?visit_id=637549652058706668-1796339035&rd=1
https://location.services.mozilla.com/optout
https://www.wigle.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2330
https://melodycode.com/surfing/how-to-opt-out-your-wi-fi-from-microsoft-wi-fi-sense-and-google-location-server.html

From what I understand misconfigured phones STILL send them your
SSID/BSSID/GPS/Dbm but they don't put your data on the public servers.

That is, they HAVE your data - they just remove it from their servers.
Some less reputable outfits might not even do that (for all we know).

Would not broadcasting the SSID help to keep the ssid/bssid off of these
public servers?

That is, would not broadcasting the SSID then prevent all these
misconfigured mobile devices from uploading your data to public servers?

I can't find any information on whether that works or not on the net.
Can you?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown