Promiscuous mode (yes) vs (yes/Backtrack) & R/SMA antenna

1 view

Sharon

May 29, 2008, 10:05:59 PM5/29/08
I'm trying to compare specs of USB wireless adapters.
http://airdump.net/papers/wifi-adapters-applications

What does it mean when I see a spec that says
- Promiscious mode = Yes
versus
- Promiscious mode = Yes (Backtrack)

If I'm on WinXP, can I still set either one into promiscious mode?

Also what does it mean when I see
- Antenna Connector: Only Edimax EW-7318 USg (R/SMA)
versus
Antenna Connector: Yes (R/SMA)

Can I put a normal antenna on either one?

Jeff Liebermann

May 30, 2008, 2:55:56 AM5/30/08
On Thu, 29 May 2008 19:05:59 -0700, Sharon <Shar...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm trying to compare specs of USB wireless adapters.
>http://airdump.net/papers/wifi-adapters-applications
>
>What does it mean when I see a spec that says
>- Promiscious mode = Yes
>versus
>- Promiscious mode = Yes (Backtrack)

Most of those specifications were contributed by users. Where it
mentions a software package, such as Backtrack, it usually means that
the contributor has tested it using that package. In this case
Backtrack is:
<http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html>
a Linux distribution made for wireless hacking.

>If I'm on WinXP, can I still set either one into promiscious mode?

Probably not. Very very very few cards work in promiscuous mode under
Windoze. You will need a customized driver to do the trick.

>Also what does it mean when I see
>- Antenna Connector: Only Edimax EW-7318 USg (R/SMA)
>versus
>Antenna Connector: Yes (R/SMA)

Some manufacturers have two versions of their PCMCIA and USB devices.
One is with an external antenna connector (usually a reverse SMA
connector) and one with an internal antenna.

>Can I put a normal antenna on either one?

What is a normal antenna? In general, if you have a proper 2.4GHz
antenna, with the matching antenna connector, you can plug it in and
it will work.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Sharon

May 30, 2008, 12:25:28 PM5/30/08
On Thu, 29 May 2008 23:55:56 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

>>If I'm on WinXP, can I still set either one into promiscious mode?
>
> Probably not. Very very very few cards work in promiscuous mode under
> Windoze. You will need a customized driver to do the trick.

Thanks Jeff,

I much appreciate the sage advice on promiscious mode and the clarification
of what backtrack was and on the antenna specs.

I did buy the Hawking HWUG1 because that's all I found at Fry's. And I
picked up a 10db omni antenna. I'm going to try to set the Hawking HWUG1
wireless NIC into promiscuous mode but it's sheer hell to set up with
WPA2-PSK AES mostly because even Windows XP Home Wireless Zero
Configuration has problems with WPA2-PSK.

I'm online with Hawking 888-202-3344 techsupport right now and I'll explain
the problem with Windows separately.

Sharon