add wifi to a tv

Your Name

Oct 22, 2021, 6:32:24 PM10/22/21
My TV is a Sharp LC 45GD7U which also has no ethernet but it has HDMI.
Can wifi be added to such a TV using one of its input ports?

Jeff Liebermann

Oct 22, 2021, 7:59:01 PM10/22/21
On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:32:19 +1300, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com>
wrote:

>My TV is a Sharp LC 45GD7U which also has no ethernet but it has HDMI.
>Can wifi be added to such a TV using one of its input ports?

No. If the Sharp LC-45GD7U had either an ethernet RJ45 port, or HDMI
1.4 or higher, which include 100MbaseT ethernet in the HDMI connector,
it would have been fairly easy to do by adding a wi-fi wireless client
bridge radio (sometimes known as a "game adapter"). However, your TV
does not have an ethernet port and I can't quite identify what level
HDMI port is supplied. I'm fairly sure it's not HDMI 1.4 because
those with ethernet on HDMI 1.4 or higher, usually also include an
RJ-45 ethernet port.

Spec and features list:
<http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Sharp-AQUOS_LC-45GD7U.htm>
<http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/pdf/tel_dow_AQUOS_Full_Line_1005.pdf>

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Sqwertz

Oct 23, 2021, 4:18:12 AM10/23/21
On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:58:54 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:32:19 +1300, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com>
> wrote:
>
>>My TV is a Sharp LC 45GD7U which also has no ethernet but it has HDMI.
>>Can wifi be added to such a TV using one of its input ports?
>
> No. If the Sharp LC-45GD7U had either an ethernet RJ45 port, or HDMI
> 1.4 or higher, which include 100MbaseT ethernet in the HDMI connector,
> it would have been fairly easy to do by adding a wi-fi wireless client
> bridge radio (sometimes known as a "game adapter"). However, your TV
> does not have an ethernet port and I can't quite identify what level
> HDMI port is supplied. I'm fairly sure it's not HDMI 1.4 because
> those with ethernet on HDMI 1.4 or higher, usually also include an
> RJ-45 ethernet port.
>
> Spec and features list:
> <http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Sharp-AQUOS_LC-45GD7U.htm>
> <http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/pdf/tel_dow_AQUOS_Full_Line_1005.pdf>

Why would adding "wifi" to a TV that doesn't support it do any good
anyway? Will it suddenly support streaming AVI's and Miracast, or
something?

Call me stupid (I'm fine with that), but a $30 Fire, Chromecast, or
Roku would add wifi. PLUS the ability to covert wifi signals into
... like... moving picture shows. And talkies with SOUND! And
color even! It the new fad!

</sarcasm off>

-sw

Jeff Liebermann

Oct 23, 2021, 4:34:40 AM10/23/21
On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 03:18:08 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:58:54 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:32:19 +1300, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My TV is a Sharp LC 45GD7U which also has no ethernet but it has HDMI.
>>>Can wifi be added to such a TV using one of its input ports?
>>
>> No. If the Sharp LC-45GD7U had either an ethernet RJ45 port, or HDMI
>> 1.4 or higher, which include 100MbaseT ethernet in the HDMI connector,
>> it would have been fairly easy to do by adding a wi-fi wireless client
>> bridge radio (sometimes known as a "game adapter"). However, your TV
>> does not have an ethernet port and I can't quite identify what level
>> HDMI port is supplied. I'm fairly sure it's not HDMI 1.4 because
>> those with ethernet on HDMI 1.4 or higher, usually also include an
>> RJ-45 ethernet port.
>>
>> Spec and features list:
>> <http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Sharp-AQUOS_LC-45GD7U.htm>
>> <http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/pdf/tel_dow_AQUOS_Full_Line_1005.pdf>

>Why would adding "wifi" to a TV that doesn't support it do any good
>anyway? Will it suddenly support streaming AVI's and Miracast, or
>something?

It wouldn't but it's difficult to tell because the OP didn't specify
what he was trying to accomplish. I just realized that he might be
talking about a Roku or Apple TV player, which plugs into the HDMI
port, and requires a wi-fi or ethernet connection to the internet
(through a router) to function. That certainly would work.

>Call me stupid (I'm fine with that), but a $30 Fire, Chromecast, or
>Roku would add wifi. PLUS the ability to covert wifi signals into
>... like... moving picture shows. And talkies with SOUND! And
>color even! It the new fad!

Yep. That's probably what the OP wanted. Sorry for not reading
between the lines. This is what happens when someone asks a question
about HOW to do something, without specifying WHAT they are trying to
accomplish. It's like asking about how to tie a knot, without
disclosing that they're trying to tie their shoelaces. I'll give the
OP credit for specifying the TV model number. That's an amazingly
rare thing.

></sarcasm off>

It's 1:30AM here. After about midnight, sarcasm, logic, good ideas,
and such all become muddled together into an indistinguishable mess.

>-sw

Drivel: We're waiting for the "big storm" or "atmospheric river"
which is suppose to arrive Sunday evening and wreak havoc and clean
the rain gutters in this area. I probably should have spent the
summer building a Noah's style ark.
<https://www.pivotalweather.com/maps.php?data_type=forecasts&r=us_sw&p=ndfd_48hqpf&ds=ndfd>