0800 number

Esat Qyqalla

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
What is it?

Monty Python

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
0800 xxxxxxx

Esat Qyqalla wrote in message ...
>What is it?

Tim Price

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
0800 IHATEBT
Esat Qyqalla <es...@qyqalla.screaming.net> wrote in message
news:uLU73.2871$Dh.3...@nnrp4.clara.net...
> What is it?

pa...@metalab.unc.edu

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:56:10 GMT, "Esat Qyqalla"
<es...@qyqalla.screaming.net> wrote:

>What is it?

What for? the AA? RAC? Tesco? BT?

Esat Qyqalla

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
L1 of course. Why would i ask for 0800 in this NG for anything. Just Stop
for a sec and think.

pa...@metalab.unc.edu

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99

No, you stop a second and think. BT internet have an 0800 number,
LineOne had a 0800 number, XStream have an 0800 number. Two out of
them three are free. Do you think we can read your mind?

Ridwan Hughes

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
Today I rang up btinternet to get an account so I can use the weekends free,
but the woman at the other end told me that I can't sign up unless I have a
Mastercard or Visa credit card. Fuck, I just spent the last 5 months (and
only this week cleared the debt off) getting my credit card cancelled because
someone had gotten hold of the number at the end of last year and used it on
the net for 4 months before Barclaycard would pull their fingers out of their
arses and do anything about it, and that was 3+ months of me pestering them.
As you can see I'm not in any hurry to get another credit card, and I advise
anyone thinking about getting a credit card to avoid Barclaycard. So I can't
use the free 0800 dialup on weekends because those fuckwits at BT decided to
ONLY allow Mastercard/Visa credit card payments, what kind of mickey mouse
operation are they running? (btw deja.com blows, couldn't find the "post"
button just "post reply", which means I've just screwed up a thread because
of the References: line) Damn this world sucks. -- Rid

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

D King

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
You too, huh? Two years ago a friend of mine had someone commit fraud on his
account and Barclaycard sent a credit card cheque book to someone else who
pretended to be my friend, this person then wrote a cheque for Ł1300 to
himself or a friend, and for a long time, nearly a year, Barclaycard wanted
to hold my friend responsible for the debt, even though the signature on the
cheque was TOTALLY different to my friend's signature. They even followed
him around for months, even when he went to America on holiday. Eventually
they had to concede that fraud had been committed and that my friend did not
have to pay back the Ł1300 nor the interest accrued on the account because
of it.
So yeah, I agree, avoid Barclaycard, what a bunch of fraud-helpers! We
actually suspected it was an inside job as well, although I will not mention
the name of the prime suspect here.

DK

Ridwan Hughes <f...@ridhughz.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Steve.B

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
I had my credit card done on the net too, I was told they had to wait
2-4 months to monitor its usage and to trace the user. after that
i got a new card, each month when i phoned up, I had to tell them what
was not my goods and got the money refunded, after i filled in a
form saying it was not me who spent the money.

ENGPRIN1

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

Esat Qyqalla <es...@qyqalla.screaming.net> wrote in message
> What is it?

It's too late.

--
Cheers,
Paul Hendrick

The Wizard

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

It's quite simple really.

Those with credit cards are pretty well off, Those that have'nt are not, So BT is basically telling it's customers, If you're not too well off TOUGH!, We don't intend to save you money.

If you've money coming out of your ears and can afford every BT bill that comes in easily, Then you can get the freebie.

Time OFTEL got involved here, Either letting other ISP's use 0800 access or stop BT from using them.

I've E-mailed BT personally to tell them I'm cancelling my telephone account and going to C & W where AT LEAST the digital cable get's me better internet connections !.

They even phoned me to offer me their crap *Click* service as an apology, Some apology !!.

I think ANYONE who pays their pay ISP by direct debit should do the same and let BT know exactly why they are cancelling their phone service.

I moved back to BT about 18 months ago and found I had to have the line checked several times before they turned the gain up, Whilst with C&W, I had great speeds and very rarely lost a connection.

Regards, Alf.

Ronald Holland

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

The Wizard wrote in message <7jsdu9$lj6$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>...

How true !.

Remember when BT complained over C and W being able to provide a TV service and they could'nt?.

Stuff BT and it's services, You're quite right with connection on C and W too, It is a lot more reliable than thousands of miles of copper wire !.
Fibre optic will win the battle against BT any time, Looks like you're sorry you left and went back to BT, After all their only in it for profit.

IF the 0800 calls continues on BTI, What's the bettings normal phone charges rise hence taking money from people who don't even use the internet?.

A lot think advertising will make things free on the internet, One look at Sky TV will tell you a completely different story.

Sky TV's channels all advertise but you still have to pay for the service just the same!.

So basically advertising is just a cover-up to MAKE things look as though they'll be totally free.

Zomby Woof

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

Ronald Holland wrote in message <7jslni$t32$1...@apple.news.easynet.net>...

>Fibre optic will win the battle against BT any time, Looks like you're
sorry you left and went >back to BT, After all their only in it for profit.

Of course they are. So are C&W and every other business! In that way BT's no
worse than the rest of them (although they could afford to reduce call
charges a lot more)

>IF the 0800 calls continues on BTI, What's the bettings normal phone
charges rise hence >taking money from people who don't even use the
internet?.

It's extremely unlikely this would happen. It would be a really bad business
decision, and just look how BT like to brag about how many times they've cut
call charges in the last 2 years. Also, I doubt Oftel would be happy about
them using oridinary phone users to subsidise their ISP.

ZW

Zomby Woof

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

Steve.B wrote in message <12g83.4877$To2....@nnrp3.clara.net>...

>I had my credit card done on the net too, I was told they had to wait
>2-4 months to monitor its usage and to trace the user. after that
>i got a new card, each month when i phoned up, I had to tell them what
>was not my goods and got the money refunded, after i filled in a
>form saying it was not me who spent the money.

So how many things did you buy and then claim you didn't pay for? <g>

ZW

watcher@.com

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
In article <7jslni$t32$1...@apple.news.easynet.net>, on Sat, 12 Jun 1999

04:57:01 +0100, "Ronald Holland" <simpl...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

>It's quite simple really.

Something or someone certainly is.

>Stuff BT and it's services, You're quite right with connection on C and W too,
>It is a lot more reliable than thousands of miles of copper wire !.

How do most Cable and Wireless calls terminate?

>Fibre optic will win the battle against BT any time

So BT don't use fibre optic? Or does it battle against itself? Probably ;-)

>Looks like you're sorry you left and went back to BT, After all their only in it for profit.

They are? Astounding. Whereas Cable and Wireless are nice and fluffy and
give all THEIR money away.

>IF the 0800 calls continues on BTI,
>What's the bettings normal phone charges rise hence taking money from
>people who don't even use the internet?.

Strange thinking. Anyway, an awful lot of BT's extra profit recently
derives from extra internet use (and mobile phones), so perhaps "ordinary"
people are being subsidised by surfers and posers ;-)

>So basically advertising is just a cover-up to MAKE things look as though they'll be totally free.

You are SO wise.
--
____________________the watcher________
>"This NG is not for petty bickering - it's for useful and constructive discussions"

Peter Smith

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
In message <7jslni$t32$1...@apple.news.easynet.net>
"Ronald Holland" <simpl...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> The Wizard wrote in message <7jsdu9$lj6$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>...
>

> >Ridwan Hughes <f...@ridhughz.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Today I rang up btinternet to get an account so I can use the weekends
> > > free, but the woman at the other end told me that I can't sign up
> > > unless I have a Mastercard or Visa credit card. Fuck, I just spent the
> > > last 5 months (and only this week cleared the debt off) getting my
> > > credit card cancelled because someone had gotten hold of the number at
> > > the end of last year and used it on the net for 4 months before
> > > Barclaycard would pull their fingers out of their arses and do anything
> > > about it, and that was 3+ months of me pestering them. As you can see
> > > I'm not in any hurry to get another credit card, and I advise anyone
> > > thinking about getting a credit card to avoid Barclaycard. So I can't
> > > use the free 0800 dialup on weekends because those fuckwits at BT
> > > decided to ONLY allow Mastercard/Visa credit card payments, what kind
> > > of mickey mouse operation are they running? (btw deja.com blows,
> > > couldn't find the
>

> It's quite simple really.
>

> Those with credit cards are pretty well off, Those that have'nt are not, So
> BT is basically telling it's customers, If you're not too well off TOUGH!,
> We don't intend to save you money.
>
> If you've money coming out of your ears and can afford every BT bill that
> comes in easily, Then you can get the freebie.

[ snip ]

Don't forget, Visa doesn't necessarily mean Credit Card. I've got a Barclays
Connect debit card that doubles up as a VISA card.

I can pay for stuff wherever I see the visa sign, and the advantage is I
don't get a credit card surcharge!

Peter

--
To reply by mail, change .com to .co in my email address
54 things to do in a lift....

Gordon harvey

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
In article <4911A70536%pol...@ursaminr.demon.com.uk>, Peter Smith
<pol...@ursaminr.demon.com.uk> writes

>Don't forget, Visa doesn't necessarily mean Credit Card. I've got a Barclays
>Connect debit card that doubles up as a VISA card.
>
>I can pay for stuff wherever I see the visa sign, and the advantage is I
>don't get a credit card surcharge!

Not necessarily, If the vendor uses Delta which is a debit system no
charges apply, but if they use visa which is a credit system someone has
to pay visa their cut. So what actually happens is that every purchase
anyone ever makes that could be paid by credit card is priced as if it
was so made. So you pay for credit whether yopu use it or not.
--
Gordon harvey

watcher@.com

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
In article <+AjSxgBb...@gharv.demon.co.uk>, on Tue, 15 Jun 1999

10:31:07 +0100, Gordon harvey <gor...@gharv.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <4911A70536%pol...@ursaminr.demon.com.uk>, Peter Smith
><pol...@ursaminr.demon.com.uk> writes
>>
>>Don't forget, Visa doesn't necessarily mean Credit Card. I've got a Barclays
>>Connect debit card that doubles up as a VISA card.
>>
>>I can pay for stuff wherever I see the visa sign, and the advantage is I
>>don't get a credit card surcharge!
>>
>Not necessarily, If the vendor uses Delta which is a debit system no
>charges apply,

Shops have to pay for the processing of debit charge payments. It depends
on which "merchant" (PDQ, Streamline etc) they use and their own size. A
rough and ready figure is 35p a transaction. Supermarkets would pay a lower
bulk rate. Some people negotiate themselves a discount if they pay for a
high-price transaction by cash or debit because any charges are fixed....

>but if they use visa which is a credit system someone has
>to pay visa their cut. So what actually happens is that every purchase
>anyone ever makes that could be paid by credit card is priced as if it
>was so made. So you pay for credit whether yopu use it or not.

....BUT some shops will recognise the lower transaction costs, as above,
and give you a discount if you allow them to avoid the credit card co
percentage "merchant charge" by paying for high ticket items by cash,
cheque or debit card.
--
________________________________________________watcher________

Unknown

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
Simple answer is to get a visa/delta card?

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:57:04 GMT, f...@ridhughz.demon.co.uk (Ridwan
Hughes) wrote:

>Today I rang up btinternet to get an account so I can use the weekends free,
>but the woman at the other end told me that I can't sign up unless I have a
>Mastercard or Visa credit card. Fuck, I just spent the last 5 months (and
>only this week cleared the debt off) getting my credit card cancelled because
>someone had gotten hold of the number at the end of last year and used it on
>the net for 4 months before Barclaycard would pull their fingers out of their
>arses and do anything about it, and that was 3+ months of me pestering them.
>As you can see I'm not in any hurry to get another credit card, and I advise
>anyone thinking about getting a credit card to avoid Barclaycard. So I can't
>use the free 0800 dialup on weekends because those fuckwits at BT decided to
>ONLY allow Mastercard/Visa credit card payments, what kind of mickey mouse
>operation are they running? (btw deja.com blows, couldn't find the "post"
>button just "post reply", which means I've just screwed up a thread because
>of the References: line) Damn this world sucks. -- Rid
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Oh and never forget you can always hide under the bed.
--
Parsley

James Kerr

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:04:01 GMT, (Parsley) wrote:
>Simple answer is to get a visa/delta card?
>
>On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:57:04 GMT, f...@ridhughz.demon.co.uk (Ridwan
>Hughes) wrote:
>
>>As you can see I'm not in any hurry to get another credit card,

Read the original post properly.

Unknown

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
James Kerr stumbles in, sweating profusely, bleeding from an open
wound and utters these dying words......
Oh I'm so sorry Mr.Curt

Oh and never forget you can always hide under the bed.
--
Parsley®

Seven Of Nine

Jun 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/25/99
Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks!

Thank you very much you wonderful person.

Chris Buckley <re...@to.there> wrote in message
> In article <uLU73.2871$Dh.3...@nnrp4.clara.net>, Esat Qyqalla
> writes...
> : What is it?
>
> 0800 800 801
>
> --
> Regards,
> Chris Buckley

Anthony Dodd

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
0800 Number for what??

chuddy beefcake

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Yeah but what company is this number for???

Chuddy

Alan.Holmes

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99

chuddy beefcake wrote in message <7l35gm$l4t$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

Yeah but what company is this number for???

Does it matter?

--
Alan G4CRW, Ex FAA, RNARS and others.
Here I sit, giving the world the benefit of my words of wit and wisdom!

Seven Of Nine

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
Well, the number works, but it does not accept my LineOne username/password!

:(