Shareaza sued, being dismantled?

overtone

Dec 17, 2014, 12:48:34 PM12/17/14
Does anyone know wtf is up with Shareaza today? All of their websites
seem to be going dark one by one. First the sourceforge code repository
and commit log links started yielding 404s sometime in the dead of night,
and then late this morning their forum site stopped working as well and
just says "general error" if you try to visit any part of it.

It looks like they might be folding up their tent and vanishing into the
night, after years of stability. What happened? I didn't see news in any
of the usual places of a lawsuit ala Limewire and Grokster hitting them.
The software itself continues to work more or less normally, as well,
modulo two peculiarities:

- The DC++ protocol kept toggling between working and non-working states
during the past week, without any settings changes being made at my
end. It's currently in the working state though and has been
continually since late on Monday night.

- Since noon I haven't seen any activity on the two torrents I'm seeding.
Both of them were busy with a cumulative throughput typically hovering
in the teens for the past several days until then.

If anyone has any inside info on what might be going on, please post it
in followup. Normally I'd ask this sort of thing in the Shareaza forums,
but they apparently ceased to exist about an hour ago ...

tux-

Dec 22, 2014, 9:48:09 AM12/22/14
Is there any reason to still use ShareAza since Kad2 is mature?

overtone

Dec 22, 2014, 10:01:59 AM12/22/14
tux- brought next idea :

> Is there any reason to still use ShareAza since Kad2 is mature?

Umm, how about "every protocol other than ed2k"?

tux-

Dec 22, 2014, 10:13:17 AM12/22/14
How is Kad2 related to dead ed2k?

overtone

Dec 22, 2014, 11:05:30 AM12/22/14
tux- brought next idea :

> How is Kad2 related to dead ed2k?

Kademlia is the new way to search ed2k, as opposed to the old server
"global search". Didn't you know that? Also: ed2k is still alive and well
and quite heavily used. Currently about 40,000 users on TV Underground
and around 250,000 total on the eMule Security N group of servers.

tux-

Dec 22, 2014, 11:20:21 AM12/22/14
ed2k is not developed anymore; and it heavily depends on servers in
opposite to the Kad2 protocol. I just wanted to make the distinction clear.

overtone

Dec 22, 2014, 11:58:20 AM12/22/14
tux- brought next idea :

> ed2k is not developed anymore; and it heavily depends on servers in
> opposite to the Kad2 protocol. I just wanted to make the distinction
> clear.

Actually, ed2k doesn't heavily depend on servers anymore, because of Kad.