George Bush's Terminator problem

Tempest

Aug 12, 2003, 7:23:28 PM8/12/03
The Rev. Louis Sheldon, head of the ultra-right Traditional Values
Coalition, warned in a statement last week of a "moral vacuum" in
Sacramento. "It is hard to imagine a worse governor than Gray Davis,"
Sheldon said, "but Mr. Schwarzenegger would be it."
-----------

George Bush's Terminator problem

Arnold Schwarzenegger may be the GOP's best shot yet at a California
comeback. But his playboy ways and pro-choice politics make him anathema
to the president's allies on the Christian right.

By Tim Grieve

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2003/08/12/recall/index.html

Aug. 12, 2003 | SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A few months after the U.S.
Supreme Court called off the counting and awarded the presidency to
George W. Bush, a New York Times reporter asked Republican strategist
Karl Rove about the future for Republicans in California. The overall
outlook was bleak. Al Gore had trounced Bush in the state without even
trying; Democrats held virtually every statewide elective office and a
huge lead in voter registration; and the California Republican Party was
dysfunctional and in disarray. For the chief White House political
strategist, there was just one bright spot in the Golden State: the hope
that Arnold Schwarzenegger might someday run for governor. "That would
be nice," Rove told the Times. "That would be really nice. That would be
really, really nice."

Well, maybe.

Together with more than 190 other candidates who filed papers in time to
meet last Saturday's deadline, Arnold Schwarzenegger is running for
governor of California now. And while Bush told reporters Friday that he
thought Schwarzenegger would make a "good governor," the White House may
soon discover that a Terminator candidacy is not so nice after all.
Although Schwarzenegger's run to replace Gov. Gray Davis is playing like
the second coming for mainstream Republicans, it threatens to open a
nasty rift between the Bush administration and the right-wing Christians
to whom it usually kowtows.

The problem: While the White House is eager to back a winner in
California -- and a Time/CNN poll released over the weekend has
Schwarzenegger looking like one -- born-again Christian conservatives
are mortified by the actor's liberal views on abortion and homosexuality
and wary about allegations of drug use, infidelity and juvenile sexual
antics. The Rev. Louis Sheldon, head of the ultra-right Traditional
Values Coalition, warned in a statement last week of a "moral vacuum" in
Sacramento. "It is hard to imagine a worse governor than Gray Davis,"
Sheldon said, "but Mr. Schwarzenegger would be it."

Sheldon's group has launched an anti-Arnie project called Californians
for Moral Government. James Lafferty, a consultant for the group, said
its work is just the first rumbling of an earthquake to come. "There's a
gathering storm on the right," Lafferty told Salon Sunday. "Rush
Limbaugh, Michael Reagan and, we have been told, a number of other
prominent conservatives are going to come out against Schwarzenegger and
say he's not a real conservative."

There is plenty of evidence to support the charge. Schwarzenegger has
expressed support for abortion rights, gay adoption and gun control.
During Special Prosecutor Kenneth Starr's investigation of President
Bill Clinton, Schwarzenegger said he was "embarrassed" to be a
Republican. And in an interview with Salon in 2001, he said he supported
George W. Bush but that "it would have been better if he had really won,
instead of through the courts."

Limbaugh and Reagan have both expressed their concerns about
Schwarzenegger on their radio shows and in columns, and Lafferty
predicted that other conservative Republicans, including Col. Oliver
North, will soon join the chorus.

Leaders of other conservative Republican groups were holding their fire
Monday. Roberta Combs, president of the Christian Coalition, said her
group would wait to hear more about Schwarzenegger's views and his
background before deciding what do about the recall. But if
conservatives like North and groups like the Christian Coalition get
into the fight, the White House will face a choice: back away from
Schwarzenegger or risk losing some of its love from conservatives, and
particularly the religious right. "I don't think the White House wants
to get caught between a fairly large religious community in California
and Arnold Schwarzenegger," Lafferty told Salon. "The White House has
built a pretty good relationship with religious conservatives. Getting
involved with Schwarzenegger would be a waste of the goodwill they've
accumulated."

After weeks of predictions and prognostications, false starts and broken
vows, the dust cleared in the California recall over the weekend.
Would-be candidates had until Saturday at 5 p.m. to file the papers
necessary to put their names on the Oct. 7 ballot. When time ran out
Saturday, three serious Republican contenders were in the race:
Schwarzenegger, conservative state Sen. Tom McClintock, and businessman
Bill Simon, who lost to Davis in November. Republican Rep. Darrell Issa,
who pumped $1.6 million into the recall drive, was in the race early but
dropped out after Schwarzenegger got in. Former baseball commissioner
Peter Ueberroth is running as an independent from the right; columnist
Arianna Huffington is running as one from the left. California Lt. Gov.
Cruz Bustamante is the only prominent Democrat in the race; like Issa,
California Insurance Commissioner John Garamendi was in but backed out
before the filing deadline.

With the field set -- at least until somebody else drops out -- the
candidates and the parties have begun plotting their paths to the
plurality needed to win on Oct. 7. For Democrats, the two competing
strategies advanced before Saturday are both now history. Party leaders
failed in their attempt to keep any prominent Democrat out of the race
-- Bustamante decided to run after seeing polls suggesting that the
governor's "political viability" was disappearing -- while members of
the state's congressional delegation failed in their bid to draft Sen.
Dianne Feinstein. As a result, Democrats are now left mouthing a
less-than-convincing two-part mantra: "No on the recall, but yes on
Bustamante."

The Republicans have different, but no less vexing, problems. With three
plausible candidates -- and half of a fourth in Ueberroth -- they risk
splitting the vote and leaving a Democrat in control of the state.
Picking a winner now, in what amounts to a primary conducted through
public opinion polls, appears to be essential for a Republican victory.

But for Republicans generally, and for the Bush White House in
particular, the Golden State has been a black hole, where the right
choice has frequently been impossible to see and even harder to make.
Although the state gave rise to Ronald Reagan, no Republican
presidential candidate has carried California since 1988. Democrats now
hold every single statewide elective office, and the president's
approval ratings are lower in California than they are anywhere else in
the country. The California Republican Party has been its own worst
enemy, routinely nominating extreme right-wing candidates who cannot
possibly beat their Democratic opponents in general elections. The White
House threw its support behind a moderate, former Los Angeles Mayor
Richard Riordan, in the last gubernatorial primary. He lost to the more
conservative Simon, who in turn ran a bumbling campaign that left the
White House flatfooted and embarrassed.

Davis barely beat Simon in November, and right-wing Republicans launched
their recall drive shortly thereafter. Although the White House watched
the drive closely, the Bush team was careful to keep its fingerprints
off of it. Rove met with Schwarzenegger in the spring; Laura Bush aide
Noelia Rodriguez advised Riordan as he contemplated entering the race;
and Bush's California liaison, Gerald Parsky, met in July with
representatives of possible Republican candidates in the hope of
developing a unified strategy for beating Davis. Publicly, however, Bush
said that the recall was a matter for the people of California, and that
he was staying out of it.

But then came the Terminator.

Schwarzenegger announced his intentions on "The Tonight Show" Wednesday,
apparently surprising both host Jay Leno and his own closest advisors,
who had been told that Schwarzenegger had decided not to run. With his
announcement -- and Feinstein's earlier in the day -- Schwarzenegger
immediately became the frontrunner. Radio talk-show callers have
declared themselves "amped" about Arnie's candidacy, apparently hoping
that his on-screen tough-guy persona means he can kick some serious
Sacramento butt.

By Friday, the national press was so focused on the suddenly
star-studded recall that Bush couldn't stay out of it any longer. When
reporters asked him about Schwarzenegger at his ranch in Crawford,
Texas, the president said he wouldn't want to arm-wrestle Arnie but
thought he'd make a "good governor." At about the same time, Matt Drudge
was posting a new photograph on his Web site: a black and white shot of
a beaming, youthful Arnie, his head straddled by the legs of a topless
hottie.

Conservative Christians see a photo like that and feel "a sense of
separation," says Lafferty. "There are good, solid prominent Republicans
who are well-suited to run for governor," he said. "This guy clearly is
not that serious."

That's not the way many Republicans see it, of course. While a Democrat
with a record like Schwarzenegger's would be deemed all but un-American
by Karl Rove and his friends at Fox, many of the Republicans who see
hope in Schwarzenegger are willing to accept the sacrilege that comes
with his stardom. "The Republican Party is not monolithic," said
Jonathan Wilcox, who was the spokesman for Issa's campaign. Pointing to
pro-choice Republicans who have served as governors and antiabortion
Democrats who have served in the House, Wilcox says parties do what they
have to do in order to win elections.

And for Republicans in California right now, the most important thing is
winning the race to replace Davis. Anyone -- or, at least, any
Republican -- would be better than the incumbent governor, they say,
even if that anyone isn't the Republican they'd choose if they thought
they had a choice. "Republicans want to win more than anything now,"
said Jo Ellen Allen, spokeswoman for the Republican Party of Orange
County. "It's not just winning to win, but you can't do anything if you
don't win."

Arguments like that don't fly with some Christian conservatives. Lori
Waters, executive director of Phyllis Schlafly's Eagle Forum, rejected
any "relativistic" view based on Schwarzenegger's electability. "He may
be a better fiscal conservative than Gray Davis but that doesn't mean
that the Eagle Forum has to put its name on [his campaign]," Waters told
Salon Monday. "We are pretty firm in supporting social conservatives and
fiscal conservatives, but you've got to be both."

It's what comes after that matters, counters Allen. If Schwarzenegger
wins, she says, he will surround himself with more traditional
Republican aides and appointees -- perhaps like the team of aides and
advisors to former Gov. Pete Wilson that Schwarzenegger has hired for
his campaign -- who will understand the interests of the party's more
conservative members. And then, when the next legislative election
comes, Schwarzenegger can push voters to send him Republican legislators
with whom he can work.

But that only happens if Arnie wins. And to win, he is going to have to
prove to voters that he's serious -- a credible leader, not just a comic
book action hero -- and he is going to have to survive the intense
scrutiny that comes with a political campaign. That's where even
forgiving Republicans like Allen begin to express doubts. They have
heard rumors about Schwarzenegger, and the whispers make them nervous.

In March 2001, Premiere magazine ran a feature titled "Arnold the
Barbarian" which chronicled allegations of what the magazine called his
"boorish" sexual behavior. According to the magazine, the actor has a
penchant for groping at the breasts of women who are not his wife --
including a fellow star and crew member during the filming of
"Terminator 2" in 1991 and three different female talk-show hosts he
encountered during a single day of hyping a film in late 2000.

The Premiere story also quoted an unnamed source who claimed to have
walked in on Schwarzenegger performing oral sex on a woman in his
trailer during the filming of the 1996 film "Eraser." "When we opened
the door to his trailer, Arnold was giving oral sex to a woman,"
Premiere quoted the source as saying. "He looked up and, with that
accent, said very slowly, 'Eating is not cheating.'"

Schwarzenegger has denied the allegations, but not always in ways most
becoming to a would-be politician. He told the Weekly Standard last
year, for instance, that he was not so "stupid" as to be caught "eating
a chick in the living room" of his trailer.

While Republicans may be able to suck it up when it comes to
Schwarzenegger's political views, they may have a harder time with the
allegations, and the actor's attitude about them, particularly if it
becomes clear that any hi-jinks occurred in the recent past. "In the
last few years, has he been doing anything like that?" asked Chuck
Devore, a conservative Republican currently running for the California
Assembly. "If he has, he will run into some trouble."

Allen agreed. "I don't know whether he has done these things," she said.
"I believe about half of what I read. I would hope that if it's true,
it's behavior that's a long time ago and that it has stopped." Allen
began to compare the allegations against Schwarzenegger to the ones that
led House Republicans to impeach Bill Clinton. She caught herself before
going too far. "One can make a distinction of location, of the White
House and an aide under your jurisdiction and control. But it's still
inappropriate behavior."

Davis' political team circulated the Premiere article to reporters in
2002 when it appeared that Schwarzenegger was thinking about running for
governor. While Schwarzenegger told Jay Leno last week that he expects
his opponents will use such stories against him now that he's in the
recall race, at least one prominent Democrat has publicly warned Davis
against running a "puke" campaign to save himself. Thus, California
Democratic Party spokesman Bob Mulholland is downplaying the dirt for
now -- sort of.

"We're not getting into it," Mulholland told Salon last week. "In any
campaign, you have to decide where your resources are going to go. We'll
let the tabloids do the work. We'll leave it to them, but we'll add some
gasoline to the fire."

In the meantime, the White House will have to tread carefully into the
recall race. While Schwarzenegger is the frontrunner now, the field has
been set for only a few days, and things could change quickly as the
Republican contenders begin to cannibalize support from one another.
Already, the knives are out: In a Web site put up so fast that most of
it is unfinished, the operative who directed the Rescue California
recall drive is warning Californians against the "sexist playboy." Bush
may want to wait until the picture sorts itself out, before tying
himself too tightly to any one candidate. The Bush team got burned the
last time it involved itself in California politics, and many believe
Rove and company will be wary about jumping in too soon this time. After
Bush said that Schwarzenegger would be a good governor Friday, a White
House aide reportedly took pains to make it clear that the statement
wasn't an official endorsement.

"It sounds to me like he's testing the waters," Devore said of Bush's
seemingly off-the-cuff comments about Schwarzenegger. "The next thing
you're going to see is an incremental gauging of the opinions of the
party faithful, a cautious observation of the campaign trail -- is
this guy capable of rising to the top?"

No doubt, the White House will also be watching to see how the rumors
and allegations about Schwarzenegger resolve themselves -- and how they
play with constituencies important to the president's reelection in
2004. Says Mulholland: "They don't want to be standing next to him if
another Premiere article is coming out."

A related question, of course, is whether Schwarzenegger wants to be
standing too closely to Bush in California. Schwarzenegger aides did not
return calls for comment on this story. But at least some political
observers wonder whether Schwarzenegger will be better off if Bush stays
out of the recall race entirely; Bush's presence could remind Democrats
of the recall's partisan birth and drive them to vote it down. "I think
a Bush endorsement could be a kiss of death in California because it's a
Democratic state," former Clinton strategist Dick Morris told Salon
Monday. "The more the partisan theme underscores the race, the worse it
will be for Schwarzenegger."

--
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or
religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.

Samuel P. Huntington

Shazza

Aug 12, 2003, 7:33:55 PM8/12/03
Tempest wrote:

More positive proof that Bush is NOT a conservative, although he pretends to
be one. Bush's family has ties to a foundation instrumental in establishing
planned parenthood and it was Barbara Bush and Laura Bush who confessed that
they were "pro-choice," after all. When asked about gay marriage, Bush
stated that we are all "sinners." Is this statement in reference to
homosexuality in his personal closet? When asked about Schwarzenegger, Bush
remarked that he would be a good governor.

quibbler

Aug 13, 2003, 12:39:46 PM8/13/03
In article <3F39777F...@hotmail.com>, tem...@hotmail.com says...

> The problem: While the White House is eager to back a winner in
> California -- and a Time/CNN poll released over the weekend has
> Schwarzenegger looking like one -- born-again Christian conservatives
> are mortified by the actor's liberal views on abortion and homosexuality
> and wary about allegations of drug use, infidelity and juvenile sexual
> antics.

Yeah, but they don't give a shit that he is best friends with genocidal
Jew murderer Nazi Kurt Waldheim, or that arnold was raised by a father
who was a violent, wife-beating, alcoholic staff sergeant in the Nazi
stromtroops. While Arny says he is against Nazism, and didn't like his
father, it may be easier said than done for him to escape his upbringing
and the influence his unrepentant friends like Waldheim. That might be
why Arnold has made complementary statements about Adolf Hitler on tape.
That might be why Arnold is an authoritarian and an egotistical
chauvinist. But I guess right-wing fundamentalists don't have any
problem with men treating women like shit, so long as it doesn't involve
sex acts. So when arnold picked up an actress and dunked her head in a
toilet, that was okay in their eyes, because it was just showing women
their place.

> The Rev. Louis Sheldon, head of the ultra-right Traditional
> Values Coalition, warned in a statement last week of a "moral vacuum" in
> Sacramento. "It is hard to imagine a worse governor than Gray Davis,"
> Sheldon said, "but Mr. Schwarzenegger would be it."

I'm surprised that they haven't pointed out that some of the Conan movies
had an occult edge to them.

> There is plenty of evidence to support the charge. Schwarzenegger has
> expressed support for abortion rights, gay adoption and gun control.
> During Special Prosecutor Kenneth Starr's investigation of President
> Bill Clinton, Schwarzenegger said he was "embarrassed" to be a
> Republican. And in an interview with Salon in 2001, he said he supported
> George W. Bush but that "it would have been better if he had really won,
> instead of through the courts."

Well, I'm aware that Arnold has a few good points ;).

But in general Arnold's efforts appear to largely resemble one of his
many terrible movies. I'm dubbing it "Terminator IV: Nazi-loving Arnold
Runs For Gov."

Quibbler (quibbler247atyahoo.com)
"It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the
threat to humanity posed by the AIDS virus, 'mad cow'
disease, and many others, but I think a case can be
made that faith is one of the world's great evils,
comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to
eradicate." -- Richard Dawkins

quibbler

Aug 13, 2003, 5:00:39 PM8/13/03
Tempest <tem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3F39777F...@hotmail.com>...

> The Rev. Louis Sheldon, head of the ultra-right Traditional Values
> Coalition, warned in a statement last week of a "moral vacuum" in
> Sacramento. "It is hard to imagine a worse governor than Gray Davis,"
> Sheldon said, "but Mr. Schwarzenegger would be it."
> -----------
>
> George Bush's Terminator problem

Here's Bush's terminator problem: (Actually I don't think the picture
is from terminator...but I like the Hitler mustache on it :))

http://antigop.50megs.com/arniepage.html

Michael

quibbler

Aug 14, 2003, 12:47:56 PM8/14/03
In article <SGO_a.10366$2Y6.2...@news2.news.adelphia.net>,
Po...@RecoveryByDiscovery.com says...

> California trends get there first. So, is this the trend for the Reps?

Well, first off, this is not a trend and it's also not clear that repugs
will benefit. Secondly, if everything california did was copied then
marijuana, lsd, shrooms, etc would be legal and bankers would dress in
flip flops and hawaiian shirts every day. I think that california will
be a test case. Based on how it looks, I think that most people will see
this a crazy and idiotic. But if people are in the recall mood, perhaps
they will recall George. He lied worse than Davis and created a worse
fiscal mess. Unfortunately, Arnie can't become president on account of
the fact that he's bona fide Hitler youth. Anyway, this isn't a fashion
thing. If Arnold terminates democracy in california and turns it into
mob rule then I think that people will be very apprehensive about letting
that SARS-like sickness spread elsewhere in the country.

BTW, snip next time. You quoted 332 lines to make a one line top post.

Michael

Aug 21, 2003, 4:14:35 PM8/21/03

"Shazza" <guardi...@finalfantasy.com> wrote in message

> Tempest wrote:
>
> More positive proof that Bush is NOT a conservative, although he pretends
> be one. Bush's family has ties to a foundation instrumental in
establishing
> planned parenthood and it was Barbara Bush and Laura Bush who confessed
that
> they were "pro-choice," after all. When asked about gay marriage, Bush
> stated that we are all "sinners." Is this statement in reference to
> homosexuality in his personal closet? When asked about Schwarzenegger,
Bush
> remarked that he would be a good governor.

Give credit where credit is due, Bush was asking for compassion in his
statement that we are all sinners. I credit him when he does not follow
Jesus and when he does.
--
Very Respectfully,

Michael