Installing a propane gas log set in a fireplace.

129 views
Skip to first unread message

KingRon

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 10:01:17 AM1/8/07
to
I want to install a set of propane gas logs in my fireplace. What is
the best way to run the propane line to the outside. The
house/fireplace was built aboaut 30 yrs ago. The outside of the chimney
appears to be stucco over block. The fireplace has a heatalator built
into it. Do I drill a hole thru the back of the fireplace (thru the
heatalator and the block) to the outside? Most other I've seen in new
houses are going down thru the bottom of the fireplace, but the bottom
of my fireplace appears to be outside over the footers for the
Fireplace.

Thanks for any help.
Ron G.

KingRon

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 10:01:23 AM1/8/07
to

Noon-Air

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 10:43:50 AM1/8/07
to

"KingRon" <ronald.g...@lmco.com> wrote in message
news:1168268483....@51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com...

Have you checked with your local contractor??
Have you checked with your local code enforcement office??
Have you checked with your home owners insurance company??

What did they tell you??


KingRon

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 10:54:23 AM1/8/07
to
>
> Have you checked with your local contractor??
> Have you checked with your local code enforcement office??
> Have you checked with your home owners insurance company??
>
> What did they tell you??

I called several local contractors and was told that they would not
even be able to give me an estimate till March timeframe. They kind of
insinuated that they don't want a job this small.

Local code enforcement office said it was not a problem as long as
propane tank was installed 20ft from nearest window/door.

My insurance man said he will send someone over to inspect it when it's
installed.

Unknown

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 11:18:49 AM1/8/07
to
I usually run the gas line down the chimney cleanout, to the
basement. Then I exit thru the side of the house in the joist
space. It's not a good idea to be drilling holes into your chimney.
Your copper pipe will have to be sized based on the fireplace BTU
input and the length of the pipe. Also, attention to pressure is
important too. You may need to add a regulator into the system if
your run is too long.

-Canadian Heat


--
--------------------------------- --- -- -
Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

jamesgangnc

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 12:46:12 PM1/8/07
to
I used the clean out. I would try to avoid making holes in the
heatalator as it is intended to separate the combustion from the heated
air. Without actally seeing you set up it will be hard for anyone to
make recomendations. I gather you do not think you can get under it at
all?

jamesgangnc

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 12:49:12 PM1/8/07
to
I'd guess he's in the states and black iron pipe would be more commonly
used.

KingRon

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 1:10:15 PM1/8/07
to

jamesgangnc wrote:
> I used the clean out. I would try to avoid making holes in the
> heatalator as it is intended to separate the combustion from the heated
> air. Without actally seeing you set up it will be hard for anyone to
> make recomendations. I gather you do not think you can get under it at
> all?
>
Yes, I don't think that I can get under the firebox at all.
I will look at using the cleanout, which is in the basement. Although
that will make for a longer run of pipe/tubing to get outside where I
plan on placing the tank.

Thanks for all of your help.

jamesgangnc

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 1:37:48 PM1/8/07
to
I'd definately go with the cleanout. A longer pipe run is ok. It's
real fun getting the pipe started in the elbow inside the clean out.
You'll need a helper.

Bob_Loblaw

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 5:29:53 PM1/8/07
to
DANgER (dan...@heat.com) wrote in news:45a26ee9$0$27987
$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com:

> I usually run the gas line down the chimney cleanout, to the
> basement. Then I exit thru the side of the house in the joist
> space. It's not a good idea to be drilling holes into your chimney.
> Your copper pipe will have to be sized based on the fireplace BTU
> input and the length of the pipe

and PVC coated...

--
Respectfully, Bob

Oscar_Lives

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 11:36:50 PM1/8/07
to

"KingRon" <ronald.g...@lmco.com> wrote in message
news:1168268477.1...@s80g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Just run flexible copper pipe up the chimney and down the outside.


blueman

unread,
Jan 22, 2007, 5:04:05 PM1/22/07
to

Yeah that would look professional -- though maybe in the trailer
park you live in, the shine of copper would count as an aesthetic
improvement over the tin roof and corrugated siding...

Bob_Loblaw

unread,
Jan 22, 2007, 5:37:40 PM1/22/07
to
blueman <NOS...@nospam.com> wrote

> though maybe in the trailer
> park you live in, the shine of copper would count as an aesthetic
> improvement over the tin roof and corrugated siding...

Blueman, you got shafted by an HVAC guy...you're not the first, you won't
be the last...get over it and move on....let the anger go....breathe
deep....that's it....we feel your pain.......or is that your wallet???....

--
Respectfully, Bob

Tekkie®

unread,
Jan 22, 2007, 9:02:33 PM1/22/07
to
Bob_Loblaw posted for all of us...

The only pain he feels is being digitally probed by the other members of his
group home. The meds help though.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

blueman

unread,
Jan 24, 2007, 2:56:15 PM1/24/07
to

If you can't take it then don't dish it out. I am only responding in
kind to those who didn't have the decency to either respond
appropriately or ignore my initial post.

Bob_Loblaw

unread,
Jan 24, 2007, 3:44:08 PM1/24/07
to
blueman <NOS...@nospam.com> wrote


> I am only responding in
> kind to those who didn't have the decency to either respond
> appropriately or ignore my initial post.


You've been told numerous times that this forum is for techs to talk
amongst themselves, not to dispense free information to homeowners who
want to save some coin.
Get free advice (for what it's worth)at alt.homerepair

--
Respectfully, Bob

blueman

unread,
Jan 25, 2007, 1:33:49 AM1/25/07
to

and you have been reminded numerous times that this is a public (i.e.,
non-moderated) Newsgroup open to anybody. If you want your own private
club, stop being so damn cheap and pay to get your own forum.

No one is forcing you to answer homeowner questions. Feel free to
ignore or kill-file anyone you want...

However, since you so-called pros decided to respond to an innocent
question with foul language and insults, I will do the opposite of
what you want and continue to hang out and pee in your sandbox along
with you and your monkey friends.

Bob_Loblaw

unread,
Jan 25, 2007, 11:38:06 AM1/25/07
to
blueman <NOS...@nospam.com> wrote


> and you have been reminded numerous times that this is a public (i.e.,
> non-moderated) Newsgroup open to anybody. If you want your own private
> club, stop being so damn cheap and pay to get your own forum.
>
> No one is forcing you to answer homeowner questions. Feel free to
> ignore or kill-file anyone you want...
>
> However, since you so-called pros decided to respond to an innocent
> question with foul language and insults, I will do the opposite of
> what you want and continue to hang out and pee in your sandbox along
> with you and your monkey friends.

Wow!
I guess you told us!
Now that you have, all of us in here will change our ways to accomodate
your views of how we should respond to homeowners.
We're so glad you came to our rescue!
I'm not sure we can ever repay you!
How about some more life-altering advice?
Maybe something like "smoking is bad for you".


--
Respectfully, Bob

Oscar_Lives

unread,
Jan 25, 2007, 6:51:07 PM1/25/07
to

"blueman" <NOS...@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:m2veiva...@consult.pretender...


THANKS MR. INTERNET SUPERSTAR!


blueman

unread,
Jan 26, 2007, 2:02:18 AM1/26/07
to

Well you can do what you want -- just was reminding you that this is a
public forum and you can bitch all you want... (which you seem to be
better at than hvac repair)

John Horton

unread,
Dec 21, 2017, 1:14:03 PM12/21/17
to
replying to Bob_Loblaw, John (Big John) Horton wrote:
What a dickhead. Regardless of my extensive knowledge on my profession, you
are rude as hell to say something like “ give free advice to save some
coin”. Maybe, just maybe you could possibly prevent a chimney fire or
injury. Personally plumbers and electricians are way overpaid, and normally
rude assholes like yourself. It doesnt take a nuclear scientist ( That’s 2
syllables btw not three) to run plumbing or electrical. Problem is, people
need the professional help to pass code, and you guys know this, so the cash
register bell continues to ring.
As a proud Texan and American, I’ll say it’s jerkwads like you that are
ruining this country. ( Me me me and screw everyone else)
Anyway, have a great day and pull up your Depends, no one wants to see the
crack of what is apparently the wisest part of your miserable existence.
You ladies can Carry On.....

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/hvac/installing-a-propane-gas-log-set-in-a-fireplace-11016-.htm


Rusty

unread,
Sep 10, 2018, 12:14:05 PM9/10/18
to
replying to John (Big John) Horton, Rusty wrote:
I agree, im just reading and see this is a bunch of assholes.

Jenny Fowler

unread,
Oct 30, 2021, 6:15:03 PM10/30/21
to
Needs someone installed propane to fireplace logs zip code 45377 phone 937 410 0431

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/hvac/installing-a-propane-gas-log-set-in-a-fireplace-11016-.htm

Jenny Fowler

unread,
Oct 30, 2021, 6:31:25 PM10/30/21
to
No did not checking with any of them will find either them company and how much will it cost ?
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages