Dogs drinking from the AC

Stormin Mormon

Jun 22, 2010, 6:20:18 PM6/22/10
Friend of mine, in TX. Got a couple puppies. They like to drink the
water that drips from the window AC. She asked me if that's dangerous
for the dogs.

I have an opinion, but I'm curious what the folks on this list think.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Daniel who wants to know

Jun 23, 2010, 12:43:37 AM6/23/10
"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Since it (condensate) is just distilled water with some household dust
(mainly shed skin) thrown in it should be just fine, assuming it isn't
growing any algae.

The bigger question is why is it dripping in the first place? Most window
shakers have a slinger ring on the condenser fan that throws the condensate
up on the condenser coil to give some evaporative cooling and help drop the
head pressure. I am in Iowa and the only time one here drips is when it is
really humid inside and the evaporator is producing more than the slinger
and condenser can handle. That or there is something wrong like a dirty
condenser coil will make it spit water out of the side louvers on the
chassis or it will drip if the window sill isn't level left to right and the
unit is tipped away from the side with the fan. I have this problem with a
1988 GE branded Trane unit. The fan is on the left and the overflow is on
the right (looking at the front) and the window sill is lower on the right
so the water just drips instead of being picked up if I don't put a shim
under the unit.

Stormin Mormon

Jun 23, 2010, 7:50:21 AM6/23/10
The woman who asked is in Texas, where the humidity is very high. I
havn't been there, nor seen any picctures of the set up. She says
someone maintained dthe units a couple year ago and said they were
"just fine" but I don't know if he cleaned the coils or just give em
an wink and a nod. It could also be that the unit is slanted. Who
knows?

My sense is the water is fine, except for possible microbe buildup in
the pan. I suggested she could pour some diluted Clorox into the
evaporator, which would help hold down the microbes.

Myself being in NYS, I've also seen a lot of drippy window units. My
one unit, I finally drilled a hole in the floor pan, and run the
condensate out the bottom. I'm not convinced the slinger ring does a
lot of good. Well, it makes the condensor pick up more dust. A year or
two, I was coughing a lot in the living room. I took the window AC
out, and cleaned it thoroughly. And some clorox after the cleaning. My
coughing went away.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Daniel who wants to know" <m...@here.edu> wrote in message

HVAC

Jun 23, 2010, 2:28:14 PM6/23/10

> The woman who asked is in Texas, where the humidity is very high. I
> havn't been there, nor seen any picctures of the set up. She says
> someone maintained dthe units a couple year ago and said they were
> "just fine" but I don't know if he cleaned the coils or just give em
> an wink and a nod. It could also be that the unit is slanted. Who
> knows?

'Slanted' ?

Was it made in China?

HVAC

Jun 23, 2010, 2:31:35 PM6/23/10

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> My sense is the water is fine, except for possible microbe buildup in
> the pan. I suggested she could pour some diluted Clorox into the
> evaporator, which would help hold down the microbes.

So you suggested that she poison her puppy dog?

Good for you Stormy.

You win the Michael Vick dog lover award.

> Myself being in NYS, I've also seen a lot of drippy window units. My
> one unit, I finally drilled a hole in the floor pan, and run the
> condensate out the bottom.

Retard.

> I'm not convinced the slinger ring does a
> lot of good.

That's cause YOU are an idiot.

--
When did ignorance become a point of view?

Real Pisser

Jun 24, 2010, 9:30:34 AM6/24/10
Tell your friend in Texas you think it may not be safe, but to make sure,
you will drink the water from yours for a few weeks. If you don't call her
after a few weeks, it it because you are moaning in pain on the floor,
dying. Putz!
Why would your friend even consider letting the puppies drink other than
clean fresh water? Is she your sister from another mother?

Grumpy

Jun 27, 2010, 6:36:22 PM6/27/10
maybe it is better then moon shine ha ha

Sterling

Jul 3, 2018, 2:44:21 AM7/3/18
replying to Daniel who wants to know, Sterling wrote:
Lol Iowa HVAC sounds alot easier then Louisiana

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/hvac/dogs-drinking-from-the-ac-41405-.htm

MsKona007

Sep 4, 2021, 8:31:11 AM9/4/21
Just finding post now so I have 11 years after you wrote this got a portable a/c unit on wheels which has a few buckets per day of condensation with mostly my old dog age 13 not my younger one age 4 wanting to drink the extra cold water so I toss it into the toilet. I read, "Water collected from an air conditioner is condensation pulled from the air inside your home. It should never be ingested, and is not safe to drink, as it contains traces of impurities found in the air in your home, including chemicals and heavy metals." So not risking it. Fill up the water dish a few times with cold water from the fridge and I highly doubt the lady in Texas her dogs would as tempted to drink the other a/c tainted water then throw it in the toilet or outside but never let a dog drink it for the above reasons.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/hvac/dogs-drinking-from-the-ac-41405-.htm