HELP!!! NOISY CARRIER COMPRESSOR

Irving Chen

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
I had a local A/C contractor installed two Carrier 38TZA A/C's last
month. One 3.5 ton and one 2 ton. Both units have Copeland scroll
compressor. The 3.5 ton unit runs very quietly. You can hardly hear the
compressor noise. Unfortunately, it is no so with the 2 ton unit. The 2
ton unit cools ok but it makes a very loud high pitch noise which can
penetrate wall and drives me nut. I compained to the contractor, he
refused do anything. He claimed this kind of noise is normal. Some unit
is just noisier than the other.

I first thought the quality of A/C should all be the same. They should
either all be noisy or all be quiet. I decided to check around my
neighbor's A/C's. Indeed my contractor was correct. I found eight
Carrier 38CKC models in my neighbor, half of them are noisy and half of
them aren't.

Before I made the purchase, my contractor sold me the unit on the
compressor is "the quietest in the industry" per Carrier's published
data. Carrier claimed each Carrier unit's noise level is equivalent to 4
Lennex or 8 York's. I found this extremely deceiving. My 3.5 ton unit
may be so but definitely not the 2 ton unit.

Can any one on the net who is expert in Copeland Scroll compressor
comment on my situation? What makes the scroll compressor noisy? Scroll
compressor is known to be quieter than all other type, why some scroll
compressors are extremely noisy but some of them are very quiet? Would
adding compressor oil quiet down the unit? Should I insist on getting
the compressor replaced? Can you determine the new replacement
compressor is noisy or not before you install the compress into the
unit?

Thanks,

leywok

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
Have your contractor look in 3 areas:
1-The line set doing through the wall in your house is rigidly fastened
and the suction line is transmitting some of the vibration from the unit.
2- Have your contractor temporarily remove the wire coil guard from the
unit.
If the noise goes away, you may reinstall the coil guard using small
rubber spacers between the cabinet and the coil guard.
3- Check the unit for overcharge of Puron refrigerant.
Believe it or not, the published sound data shows the 2 ton unit being
quieter ( 69 dBA for the 2 ton VS 72 dBA for the 3.5 ton unit)
No, you may not add refrigerant oil.
No, you may not tell how quiet a compressor is without putting it in.
If you don't get any help from the contractor, call 1-800-CARRIER
and before you know it, the local distributor service manager will call you.
Irving Chen <ho_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ricky Archuletta

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
Compressor noise can be a result of many problems. Most of which are
caused by the installer. Did he perform a vacuum to 400 microns?Is the
expansion device and coil sized right for the condensor?Isthere an
obstruction in the lines (I once found a pea sized piece of solder in a
line installed by a contractor who told the customer some units just run
longer than others.) Is the condensor on solid ground? Having
vibration isolators can help if sized correctly if oversized they can
cause more noise than they prevent. If your contractor will not take the
time to see what he did wrong you should contact Carrier. Chances are if
its noisier its working harder and will not last as long.

H Chen

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
Thanks for the tips. My contractor has tried everything you suggested but none
of them help. The pinning noise is generated by the compressor. You need to
correct the source of the problem.

The dBA published by Carrier is a measurement for fan noise, not compressor
noise. Compressor noise is higher frequency which penetrate wall, window even if
it is less than 69 dBA is extremely annoying. The 1-800-CARRIER is completely
useless. The service manager was the most obnoxious person I've ever met. His
name is Ray Falk. He seems to be the only field person cover the entire western
region. His attitute is as if I owed Carrier money. His visit to my house is out
of his kindness. The compressor noise problem is normal and within their
spec.(even though the Carrier sales brochure said its Scroll compressor
virtually make no noise.)

The subcontractor has no authority to do any warranty repair without Carrier's
approval first. Carrier and the distributor Edward B. Ward refused to take back
the unit. My contractor can't replace compressor. But he won't get paid unless
he fixes the problem. So he is stuck.

The only thing I can say is the HVAC industry is SICK!!! The subcontractor is
totally at the mercy of large AC manufacturer.

--------------------------

H Chen

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99

Ricky Archuletta wrote:

> Compressor noise can be a result of many problems. Most of which are
> caused by the installer. Did he perform a vacuum to 400 microns?

> Ans: YES

> Is the expansion device and coil sized right for the condensor?

Ans: YES

> Is there an obstruction in the lines (I once found a pea sized piece of

> solder in a
> line installed by a contractor who told the customer some units just run
> longer than others.)

Ans: The unit is a Puron model. The installer did replace the piston. The
only possible mistake could be he install the piston reversed. But if so why
the unit still cools ok?

> Is the condensor on solid ground? Having
> vibration isolators can help if sized correctly if oversized they can
> cause more noise than they prevent.

Ans: My house has two stories. Each level has its own furnace. Both AC are
installed side-by-side on concret floor. The Carrier A/C compressor is
installed on a vibration isolators. This however does not help any on the
compressor pinning noise.

> If your contractor will not take the
> time to see what he did wrong you should contact Carrier. Chances are if
> its noisier its working harder and will not last as long.

Ans: My contractor actually is quite willing to try all of those simple
things. He did check to RLA which is actually lower than the rated spec
which seems to suggest the compressor wasn't overloaded. The only thing he
can not do is replace the compressor without Carrier's approval first. We
have contacted the distributor and Carrier. So far they refused to do
anything on the ground that the noise level is within its spec.

turtle4air

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 03:35:02 -0700 Irving Chen <ho_...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

this is turtle.

call 1-800-carrier and discuss the matter with them. see what they
think
and see where it goes. your problem will get attention if you call.

TURTLE

Exchange ideas on practically anything (tm).

Gary Edelman

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Ricky Archuletta wrote:

> Compressor noise can be a result of many problems. Most of which are
> caused by the installer.

And if you have allergies, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or
cancer it was probably caused by the installer too.

sf...@my-deja.com

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
The Copeland Scroll noise problem has been known by Carrier and Copeland
for a long time. I personally happen to have one of the noisy ones
myself. If your contractor was to change out the compressor, you would
have about a 50-50 chance that the new one would be quiet.
The west coast regional Sales represenative made a stop at San
Joaquin Delta College (Stockton CA), this last year and made a guest
lecture. I was able to ask him if he knew why some of their compressors
are louder than others. He told me that they R and D people have
dissambled these "loud" units and still have not been able to identify
the problem. He also said that if I could figure it out, they would
probably make me a rich man.
Scot (owner)
Martin's HVAC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

denn...@mindspring.com

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Scot,

Would a sound blanket have an adverse effect on the scroll
compressor? I know Carrier has used them on some units in the past. If
the sound is telegraphed through the refrigerant lines it probably wouldn't
help. What has been your experience? dz

Jim Barton

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99

>Ans: My house has two stories. Each >level
>has its own furnace. Both AC are
>installed side-by-side on concret floor. >The
>Carrier A/C compressor is installed on a
>vibration isolators. This however does >not
>help any on the compressor pinning noise.

One thing I've noticed is that the harder a compressor has to work the
louder it gets. That could explain why your upstairs unit is louder.
Especially if you have one of these newer style homes that have a lot of
open space to the upstairs and allow all that heat an easy path to up
there.

Sonofdawra

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
>ns: My contractor actually is quite willing to try all of those simple
>things. He did check to RLA which is actually lower than the rated spec
>which seems to suggest the compressor wasn't overloaded.

Checking amp draw against the RLA is a waste of time most of the time. Very
rarely will you see a compressor drawing RLA [Rated Load Amperage]. To check
to see if the compressor is "overloaded", you must check performance against
the performance curvew that are published by Copeland in graphical format.

>We
>have contacted the distributor and Carrier. So far they refused to do
>anything on the ground that the noise level is within its spec.

Would they like to live in a house with a noise problem like that? My brother
had a problem with a Lennox heat pump many years ago. They changed the
compressor but the problem was still there. It's been so long ago that I can't
remember for sure, but it seems like the problem had to do with the way the
suction line was run. It took a lot of trial and error to quiet it down some,
but this was in the earlier days of scroll compressors.

North Atl1

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
NORTH ATLANTIC ASSOC IS A CUSTOMER MFG. OF A ACOUSTICAL COMPOSITE CALLED THE
QUIET COV-R.
WE ENCAPSULATE THE COMPRESSOR BODY WITH A WEATHER PROOF JACKETING, WHICH
REDUCES THE SOUND PRESSURE OR NOISE LEVELS HEARD BY THE HUMAN EAR. PLEASE GIVE
USE A CALL @ 716-823-9005 TO DISCUSS IN MORE DETAIL.

sf...@my-deja.com

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <7mckto$unj$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>,

<denn...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Scot,
>
> Would a sound blanket have an adverse effect on the scroll
> compressor? I know Carrier has used them on some units in the past.
If
> the sound is telegraphed through the refrigerant lines it probably
wouldn't
> help. What has been your experience? dz

My own A/C has the sound blanket. It is still relatively loud. Carrier
used to use them but they stopped some time in the past 2 years. BTW my
A/C is 2 years old.

Scot

leywok

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
On the scroll compressors there is very little variation in the current draw
as charted against load.
It's almost flat line.
ftwhd <fuckoff...@accessflint.com> wrote in message

On 12 Jul 1999 14:19:50 GMT, sonof...@aol.com (Sonofdawra) wrote:

>>ns: My contractor actually is quite willing to try all of those simple
>>things. He did check to RLA which is actually lower than the rated spec
>>which seems to suggest the compressor wasn't overloaded.
>
>Checking amp draw against the RLA is a waste of time most of the time.
Very
>rarely will you see a compressor drawing RLA [Rated Load Amperage]. To
check
>to see if the compressor is "overloaded", you must check performance
against
>the performance curvew that are published by Copeland in graphical format.

And to check performance, RLA is one of the pieces of data required.

Mike
UA local 370

Reply to, <ft...@accessflint.com>

J. S. Nunes

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
2 things to ponder here.....
First is the Caps Lock button on your keyboard is stuck...
the Second is your SPAM is not appreciated by the group....
maybe you should have sent your advertisement to the party with the problem
VIA E-mail instead of posting it here

Thanx
--
Steve @ NOON-AIR
Heating and Air Conditioning Service

There are three kinds of men.
The one that learns by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves

North Atl1 <nort...@aol.com> wrote in message

HVACMAN

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
sf...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <7mckto$unj$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>,
> <denn...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Scot,
> >
> > Would a sound blanket have an adverse effect on the scroll
> > compressor? I know Carrier has used them on some units in the past.
> If
> > the sound is telegraphed through the refrigerant lines it probably
> wouldn't
> > help. What has been your experience? dz
>
> My own A/C has the sound blanket. It is still relatively loud. Carrier
> used to use them but they stopped some time in the past 2 years.

All the Puron units have them, as do the higher eff. units with scrolls.
At least up till today they did! Don't know about tomorrow...

GRUMP0310

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
You have to get permission from the factory ?I would say your contractor dosn't
sell enough of their equipment. If the customer complaines and the tech
determines that the unit is noisey, we order a pump and replace it.We wouldn't
even consider a factory rep. to look at it first.We send the pump back in and
mark it off as noisey. As far as I know the only problems on getting warrenty
is when the old parts set in the shop for 6-12 months before we send them
back.Bottom line if the contractor feels the pump needs changed. He should do
it and fight the factory himself.Even if he has to eat the price of the pump
and labor,Better to eat the price of a pump than the whole job.Over the 22
years I've work for a local heating co. I couldn't tell you how many furnaces
and ac's we never got paid for, But we have an exelant rep.because we take care
of the cusomer first.
Mike H.
City Wide Htg.

Sonofdawra

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
>To =
>check
>>to see if the compressor is "overloaded", you must check performance =
>against
>>the performance curvew that are published by Copeland in graphical =

>format.
>>
> And to check performance, RLA is one of the pieces of data required.
>

>Mike
>UA local 370

You don't need RLA to check performance using the performance curves, but you
do need the actual system pressures, actual measured voltage and actual
measured amp draw.

RLA is used to calculate the Minimum Circuit Ampacity of an A/C unit and that's
about all it is worth. By electrical code, a condensing unit's Minimum Circuit
Ampacity = [ 1.25 x compressor's RLA ] + amp draw of the fan motor(s) and
crankcase heater if present

Respectfully submitted, Ron

theh...@postoffice2.bellatlantic.net

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
When Carrier first came out with their scrolls, and they started
experiencing noise problems, they had several recomendations to HELP
correct the problem:
#1 they had a "kit" for strapping down the liquid line in the outdoor
unit to help stop the noise transmissions.
#2 they have a component called a "sound attenuator" to install in the
refrig. line (I forget exactly where it went)
#3 A sound blanket (did little good as I recall)
#4 isolation of linesets from building structure
All of these were Carrier recomendations as I recall. the components
mentioned were sold by the carrier suppliers.
As far as the intermitent nature of the noise levels, I have been told
that it is a noise frequence problem. If your line set just happens to
be a certain length in relation to the particular frequency generated,
then you get excessive noise transmission. I don't know if this is in
fact the true explanation of the problem, but it is the only one I've
heard that makes any sense to me. If the above don't help enough, you
could try lengethning or shortening your line set. Agian, no guaranties
here, but it just makes to much sense to me.
HTH
Jay

Ricky Archuletta

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
Allergies caused by unfiltered outside air, high blood pressure from
dealing with idiot servicemen, and cancer from fiberglass particles in
duct can be prevented by a good installer. As far as the cholesterol I
would suggest olean but it gives you the shits.

supunsori...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2013, 1:59:27 PM7/12/13
May I know how to do overhaul carrier 5F20 compressor.

RamRod

Jul 12, 2013, 6:34:53 PM7/12/13

wrote in message

> May I know how to do overhaul carrier 5F20 compressor.

Get a fridge mechanic, he can send it back to Carrier to get it
reconditioned. Hopefully he can pump down the system or pump out the gas
into cylinders and save it before removing the compressor as to replace the
gas is very expensive.

When he gets it back then he can re-install the compressor, put the oil in,
evacuate it and recharge it.

Tony944

Jul 12, 2013, 7:54:11 PM7/12/13
On the number of compressor you have give field repair not recommended,
however it should have more numbers
to verified complete model and what is use for what type of gases is use
with???

<supunsori...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

gerr...@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 1:26:24 PM5/13/14
hi...i have a same problem with my window type 1.5 hp giant compressor - carrier. its only more than a month old. hers the same problem

its bursting unbearable noise for about 8 minutes during the turning on and will be quiet for about 8 minutes also until it subsided to a normal bursting of noise to 3 to 4 minutes and be quiet again for a max of 12 minutes.

is their a way to minimize the noise? cos i can no longer take a nice sleep. if there's a problem with the compressor then why is it that its running quietly and burst again for 3 to 4 minutes?

is this normal to this kind of carrier ac?

need help

tony944

May 18, 2014, 10:36:38 AM5/18/14
It sound like that unit is overcharge and is pumping liquid Good luck

<gerr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

wives...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2020, 11:59:32 AM6/9/20
???