I recently bought a house with old baseboard heaters so I began replacing them one by one. When I started to remove the second one, and I removed the wire nuts and separated the wires and pulled the heater away from the wall I got a good spark. So much so that it left black in the neutral wire end. I freaked out, thinking that somehow I must have forgot to turn off the breaker. So I turned off the main and continued with replacing the unit with a cadet. I did several more without incident, then on my last one, with the main OFF, the same thing happened! Can anyone explain why this might have occurred? I read somewhere that baseboard heaters carry a charge at all times, power or not, but I don’t know if that’s even possible. I’m not an electrician so I’m really baffled and now rightly afraid to try to wire in the new cadet heater.
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/hvac/wiring-sparked-when-removing-baseboard-heater-while-main-was-3149143-.htm