Wiring sparked when removing baseboard heater while main was off

Marcia

Aug 11, 2021, 9:31:16 PM8/11/21
I recently bought a house with old baseboard heaters so I began replacing them one by one. When I started to remove the second one, and I removed the wire nuts and separated the wires and pulled the heater away from the wall I got a good spark. So much so that it left black in the neutral wire end. I freaked out, thinking that somehow I must have forgot to turn off the breaker. So I turned off the main and continued with replacing the unit with a cadet. I did several more without incident, then on my last one, with the main OFF, the same thing happened! Can anyone explain why this might have occurred? I read somewhere that baseboard heaters carry a charge at all times, power or not, but I don’t know if that’s even possible. I’m not an electrician so I’m really baffled and now rightly afraid to try to wire in the new cadet heater.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/hvac/wiring-sparked-when-removing-baseboard-heater-while-main-was-3149143-.htm