Propane company departs, leaves customer in the cold

johan

Jan 22, 2023, 3:44:22 AM1/22/23
RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - When Jennifer Schneider moved to a home in the horse
friendly neighborhood of Rancho Haven three years ago, she looked forward
to the rural lifestyle. She didn’t expect a sudden plunge into the pioneer
woman experience.

“No heat,” she says. “I’m living in one little room of the house. I can’t
do laundry. I can’t wash my dishes except for by hand with a kettle. I’m
camping in my own home.”

It arrived suddenly in the middle of the night six days ago. She woke up
to freezing temperatures in her home.

Her propane tank was empty, leaving her furnace and water heater cold. It
was a suprise because her account was paid up and she was on auto-fill.
She checked her account online.

“And the last delivery I got was in October and I discovered I was
scheduled for another on December 5th. It was supposed to be one day, 24-
hour expedited delivery and it didn’t show up.”

Calls to the company--Amerigas--went to a call center where there were no
answers.

“They keep promising me every day to deliver propane within 24 hours and
it does not show up. And when I call back, they ask if I want to escalate
it and I do and nothing seems to happen. I never get a call back from a
supervisor. No one ever explains anything. I don’t even know if they are
still delivering in Reno.”

We had the same result. Those answering our call to the local number said
they were in Cleveland, Ohio. When asked if they were still in business in
Reno, Nevada, we were put on hold, eventually being told they were unable
to answer any questions. Their local website says they are permanently
closed here. A visit to their yard north of town or their office in Sparks
would seem to confirm that.

In any case, it’s happened with no warning or notice to customers like
Jennifer Schneider at the worst possible time.

“They did not tell me they weren’t going to deliver. They did not tell me
they weren’t going to tell any of their customers and let us all run dry.
And there’s been no communication. No help from them. No local person to
talk to. I feel like I have no recourse and I’m spending a lot of money
that I can’t afford to spend just to keep my house.”

Amerigas’ departure, if that’s what happened, may be having a ripple
effect throughout the market. Jennifer Schneider has signed up with
another company, a local one, but they can’t get to her until next week.
It seems they’ve been overwhelmed by calls seeking service.

In the meantime, she, like others, will have to cope with an unexpected
reality. “That was not part of the brochure of life in the country with
your horses. I was not looking to camp in my own home and have the pioneer
experience. No.”

Copyright 2023 KOLO. All rights reserved.

<https://www.kolotv.com/2023/01/18/propane-company-departs-leaves-
customer-cold/>