Re: Jewish baby's birth certificate returned from Home Office with 'Israel' scribbled out

1 view

Ting Jong

Feb 20, 2024, 12:13:41 AMFeb 20
On 12 Mar 2022, Lefty Lundquist <lefty_l...@ggmail.com> posted some
news:t0j6ah$g6t$1...@dont-email.me:

> That's just horrible. Is the UK now so poor that they can't
> afford bottles of whiteout?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2024/02/19/TELEMMGLPICT00036
7250446_17083807441550_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq-IWLY18X4-CzgyIcjLEAj_SVWeZ_vEN7
c6bHu2jJnT8.jpeg?imwidth=1280

The Home Office has been accused of scribbling out the word “Israel” on
a six-month-old Jewish girl’s birth certificate.

A family from Edgware, in north London, sent off the document on Feb 6
to obtain a British passport for their baby daughter Ronnie. But when
they received the returned certificate on Monday morning, the place of
birth for her father – Israel – had been scribbled out with a black pen.

The Telegraph understands that the Home Office is looking into the
matter and the department has been contacted for comment. It is unclear
whether it was a mistake.

A picture of the birth certificate, which was released by the Campaign
Against Antisemitism, shows a single scribble on the document in the
birthplace box for the father, while the mention of Israel for the
mother’s place of birth remains intact.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2024/02/19/TELEMMGLPICT00036
7241674_17083808377530_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqhNybjytqjXNbvTOty7GTwzS3iscZEufO
v7kn4SUF7iU.jpeg?imwidth=960

The girl’s father, whose name is also Israel, claimed that the
certificate also arrived ripped, in a soft envelope and invalidated. The
32-year-old engineering company owner is now demanding an apology and
explanation from the Home Office and a new birth certificate.

“My wife was very, very upset. The baby isn’t even six months and is
already suffering discrimination,” he claimed.

“It’s like going back to the Nazi 1930s when Jewish documents had notes
on the side. This baby did nothing wrong and was just born to Jewish
parents, that’s all. We sent it to the Home Office which is in charge of
our security and should be the most safe place for our private
document.”

‘Completely unacceptable’
Israel and his wife Dorin, 29, have lived in Britain for almost a
decade.

The Campaign Against Antisemitism, which is supporting the family, said
it was “completely unacceptable”.

It added: “When sending off a passport application to the Home Office,
the last thing one should ever expect is to have their child’s birth
certificate returned, torn, with the parent’s place of birth scribbled
out, just because it is the Jewish state,” the group said.

“We are assisting the parents, who are understandably very concerned. We
are also asking the Home Office to investigate how this happened.

“The Home Office has responsibility for law enforcement and the security
of the Jewish community and the wider public. Confidence in the
authorities among British Jews is at painfully low levels and must be
restored.”

The Home Office has been contacted for comment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/19/jewish-babys-birth-certificat
e-home-office-israel-scribble/