Help Help

Conor Williams

Oct 12, 2021, 5:00:48 PM10/12/21
can someone point me to the html language group about the
computer programming language html and !a jobs forum?
pretty pees /c:20211210210000

JJ

Oct 13, 2021, 12:15:21 AM10/13/21
Sorry, but HTML is not a programming language, and this is not a forum - not
even job related.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Oct 18, 2021, 11:07:56 AM10/18/21
It's a markup language. It is possible to mix the languages but it's
not generally done as part of a program. When a program is producing a
display it could use high level markup code.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
JustNN Just a neural network http://www.justnn.com

ScottWW

Oct 18, 2021, 4:18:53 PM10/18/21
>>"Conor Williams" wrote in message
>>
>>can someone point me to the html language group about the
>>computer programming language html and !a jobs forum?
>>pretty pees /c:20211210210000

I think the OP is put off by all the jobs listings being posted lately. (The
"!" reads as "not" in many computer languages)
I think the mis-stated terminology of HTML as a programming language is just
a semantic error to be forgiven.
I think the same knowledgeable folks are still around answering specific
questions about HTML in here: ask a question.
Scott in Dunedin

Conor Williams

Oct 18, 2021, 4:43:46 PM10/18/21
are you Scott daring to imply to I an many other people may
know something about something..
hmmm -- interesting, interesting...
&surely; Html is the programming of the browser...
therefore it is a programming language
q.ed..
/c:202110182100:-
ps: wait till i tell my mother on ya!

Lewis

Oct 18, 2021, 5:24:02 PM10/18/21
In message <4e76ea6f-aea6-473f...@googlegroups.com> Conor Williams <conor.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> &surely; Html is the programming of the browser...

HTML is not programming language.

> therefore it is a programming language

Not even close to a programming language.

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you *think*
before you break 'em.

Conor Williams

Oct 18, 2021, 5:42:29 PM10/18/21
yes it is a programming language

Conor Williams

Oct 18, 2021, 5:46:05 PM10/18/21
if it turns out after 99 emails to this group that I agree with you
html is not a programming language then that means that
my compression language will need a re-think
oh dear lord...

Lewis

Oct 18, 2021, 10:38:49 PM10/18/21
In message <0b4ec9c4-2dcc-4f5a...@googlegroups.com> Conor Williams <conor.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes it is a programming language

Stamp your foot and pout all you want, but that will not make your
ignorance true.

HTML is a markup language, NOT a programming language.

--
How do you feel? I'm lonely
What do you think? Cant take it all

Conor Williams

Oct 18, 2021, 11:14:15 PM10/18/21
i have two feet my friend...
so you should have said "stamp your footsies"...
but my friend... you are wrong...

html has revolutionized the world...
what are u 5....
i suppose you think that javascript its linker is
not a programming language 2 then or??
/c:202119100313/14

Conor Williams

Oct 18, 2021, 11:16:58 PM10/18/21
This is the best song in the world -- Francis Black was wrong...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb59lMEtHL4&list=OLAK5uy_mYrnV4E8b8hT9U839ul4MYFp7Xaz7HhtA&index=1

pipe time: HTMLvx was originally designed to program browsers like netscape
/c:202118100216
ps: what does ps stand forp

ScottWW

Oct 19, 2021, 8:28:58 AM10/19/21

>>"Conor Williams" wrote in message
My bad.

Conor Williams

Oct 19, 2021, 8:33:32 AM10/19/21
Gulf Coast Fans holds dansfancity -- why (cen fath) Dunedin Scott.W.W? /c:2021
> My bad.

Lewis

Oct 19, 2021, 1:22:51 PM10/19/21
In message <dc94468a-a374-4004...@googlegroups.com> Conor Williams <conor.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i have two feet my friend...
> so you should have said "stamp your footsies"...
> but my friend... you are wrong...

I am not wrong. You simply do not know what "programming language"
means.

> html has revolutionized the world...
> what are u 5....
> i suppose you think that javascript its linker is
> not a programming language 2 then or??

JavaScript IS a programming language. So is PHP, perl, python, lisp, C,
C++, C$, BASIC, COBOL, FORTRAN, ALGOL, Go, Java, Rust, Ruby, Lua,
Pascal, Swift, and many many others.

HTML is not a programming language.

We can argue about whether or not csh bash and zsh (and other shells)
are programming languages, if you like (pick your side, I will take the
other), but that doesn't change the fact that HTML is not a programming
language. Neither are Markdown, LaTeX, nroff (or any variants like
troff, groff, carf, etc)), XML, or JSON.

--
You couldn't say, 'I had orders.' You couldn't say, 'It's not fair.'
No one was listening. There were no Words. You owned yourself.

Ray_Net

Oct 19, 2021, 7:27:44 PM10/19/21
In article <slrnsmsbtn....@m1mini.local>, g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me says...

> In message <0b4ec9c4-2dcc-4f5a...@googlegroups.com> Conor Williams <conor.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > yes it is a programming language
>
> Stamp your foot and pout all you want, but that will not make your
> ignorance true.
>
> HTML is a markup language, NOT a programming language.

I am programming the browser to produce what I want with a programming language that the
Browser understand. HTML is that programming language that all browsers normally obey.

Lewis

Oct 19, 2021, 7:47:43 PM10/19/21
In message <MPG.3bd972d7e...@news.individual.net> Ray_Net <Ray...@picarre.be.invalid> wrote:
> In article <slrnsmsbtn....@m1mini.local>, g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me says...
>>
>> In message <0b4ec9c4-2dcc-4f5a...@googlegroups.com> Conor Williams <conor.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > yes it is a programming language
>>
>> Stamp your foot and pout all you want, but that will not make your
>> ignorance true.
>>
>> HTML is a markup language, NOT a programming language.

> I am programming the browser to produce what I want with a programming language

You do not know what a programming language is Stop using terminology
you do not understand.

> HTML is that programming language that all browsers normally obey.

HTML is a MARKUP language, like Markdown, LaTeX, and many others. It is
NOT a programming language, and what you are doing is not "programming"
a browser.

--
Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it's wrong. No
matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always

Ray_Net

Oct 20, 2021, 7:24:37 PM10/20/21
In article <slrnsmum8s....@m1mini.local>, g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me says...

> In message <MPG.3bd972d7e...@news.individual.net> Ray_Net <Ray...@picarre.be.invalid> wrote:

> >> Stamp your foot and pout all you want, but that will not make your
> >> ignorance true.
> >>
> >> HTML is a markup language, NOT a programming language.
>
> > I am programming the browser to produce what I want with a programming language
>
> You do not know what a programming language is Stop using terminology
> you do not understand.
>
> > HTML is that programming language that all browsers normally obey.
>
> HTML is a MARKUP language, like Markdown, LaTeX, and many others. It is
> NOT a programming language, and what you are doing is not "programming"
> a browser.

I let you think what you think :-)

Conor Williams

Oct 20, 2021, 9:03:23 PM10/20/21
i am doing a psychology High-Degree at the moment
and with all you lads permission i would like to use
this thread in one of my projects -- i am going for the auld
97/98 percent in this project -- 99% maybe overall possibly
100%...
thanks very much (especially Lewis-- keep fighting you
numpty!! and do accept it gracefully when u are #_WRONG
my friend... and Ray_Net... awesome stuff...
have you a website --- i would love to look at some of your
code... so see if you are the r.d....l.j.s
/c:20212110102:78
ps: i loves ya all ;-Q
pps: see you all monday night for a game of poker... and
bring yez r chips... thx

Conor Williams

Oct 20, 2021, 9:50:52 PM10/20/21
there is a clause in Philosopgy which says:
if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound
(that is around 1800 or so in Critique of Judgement..
by yez er man -- Kant Emmanuel or something...)
great/good stuff...
but in a more 1990ish vein:
does a language that programs something when
the something is not open still remain a programming
language...
--interesting interesting...
/c:2021211001000001
ps: and what about the apparation of the horse which is
but a shadow on the cave mans cave until the ink (which
is crushed red topaz -- and a sharp stick to carve into
the igneous rock...) becomes visible in the infra-red light
which was all there was back then -- those guys were
hungry!! god luv em;
pps: what are u doing up tonight at this hour? m..f

Lewis

Oct 23, 2021, 6:55:37 PM10/23/21
In message <c013b8f4-5bf2-49f8...@googlegroups.com> Conor Williams <conor.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks very much (especially Lewis-- keep fighting you
> numpty!! and do accept it gracefully when u are #_WRONG

Yeah, have you looked up what a programming language is?

Nope.

Have you looked into WHY HTML is not a programming language?

Nope.

have you decided to apply a term you do not understand to something out
of ignorance?

Yep.

Wikipedia has a pretty decent definition as the first parahraph of the
entry on Programming Language:

"A programming language is a formal language comprising a set of strings
that produce various kinds of machine code output. Programming languages
are one kind of computer language, and are used in computer programming
to implement algorithms."

HTML is does not produce machine code, it is a set of instructions that
a browser interprets to display content. Each browser can and does,
make different interpretations of how that content is displays, and one
of the complains that many companies have about HTML is that it does not
give them the control over the content that an actual program would. For
example, you cannot enforce color choices, font styles, font sizes,
window size, or many other elements. You cannot even be sure that the
user is loading images. You have a very limited ability to suggest what
things should look like, all of which can be overridden by the user. You
cannot do something as simple as move an object on the screen, or change
colors when someone moves over an image. Interactivity is basically
impossible with HTML.

But you go on believing that your ignorance makes you right. Just don't
try to take any actual programming classes, or tell a real programmer
that you "program in HTML".

Being wrong is a thing that sometimes happens to everyone, STAYING wrong
is a choice.

--
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many
is research.

Conor Williams

Oct 30, 2021, 6:25:18 AM10/30/21
hi Lewis... i'm only just back from securing a multi-(media(gazillion))-contract (football needs
computers too..) ...
you seem to know everything about html -- wow... you are amazing (& wrong)...
however, me and gramo coded Sgml (do lookup what Sgml by clicking on your (coded) hyperlinks)
and got a patent on it.. (i.t) in 1991 -- that's
last century btw... approx 30 years ago (when u were in nappies...)
and... have brains akin to the Star Wars droid man...
/c:20213010~11am...
ps: I hope you find apples in the water...
pps: Manchester v United @ 6:30pm GMT (also Leitrim time...)
ppps:
<button form=Newcastle@11:36Today>T:6 Darbys Ranger [11/4]/button>

Lewis

Oct 30, 2021, 9:15:07 AM10/30/21
In message <a9b3dff4-f2d8-4e63...@googlegroups.com> Conor Williams <conor.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> approx 30 years ago (when u were in nappies...)

When you make ignorant and stupid assumptions, you just look like a
fool.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Uh, I think so, Brain--but after eating newspaper all day, do I