Wrong Title

C.E.Finke

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Hi all,
I use a website redirection service. My site used to be an art
showcase, but I changd it and it is now a Humor Archive. Whenever I go
there, it shows the title from the art gallary site. I looked at the
source and it was something I had not written. It is at
http://www.CEFEnterprises.com or http://www.ticon.net/~finke

How do I change the title to what it should be?

GlasshouseJohn

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

C.E.Finke <cefi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It shows up as "Did you hear the one about...."

What do you want to call it?

Regards
John H
please remove your knickers to reply
http://www.onelist.com/community/html-heaven
the list for all your html needs, and website stuff as well

C.E.Finke

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
I wanted it to show that (Did You...) when you go to
www.CEFEnterprises.com Did it show? What browser?

Kyle Tully

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
You have to change what's between the <title> </title> tags in your main
page.

--
Kyle Tully
_____________________

Dolt Boy

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99

When I went to wwwCEFEnterprises.com I got the Art title, but the other
site showed me the Did you hear the one about...Look at the source for
both...the <title></title> is different in both of them...change the one
you want

joseph t.

Jukka Korpela

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
Hon. usenaut "C.E.Finke" <cefi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<382DB5...@yahoo.com>:

>I use a website redirection service.

I wouldn't quite say so. Redirection is a different thing, see
http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/publish.html#redirect
(and real HTTP redirection _could_ be used for various purposes - the
purpose discussed there, redirecting visitors from an old address to a
new one, is just the most common one).

>Whenever I go
>there, it shows the title from the art gallary site. I looked at the
>source and it was something I had not written. It is at
>http://www.CEFEnterprises.com or http://www.ticon.net/~finke

Let's see... the latter is probably your real page (actually you
should append "/" to get the correct URL). It has a TITLE element,
with the content which you assumably want to be there. So far so good.

(Well, not that good IMHO, since "Did You Hear the One About?... is a
very uninformative title. If I bookmarked the page, such a text would
say very little. If I saw the title in a search engine's response to
my query, I would hardly take a look, no matter what I were looking
for. The TITLE element should specify an informative external title
for a document, a title which is understandable in any context. See
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/head/title.html )

The page http://www.CEFEnterprises.com is a frameset page, with a
TITLE different from your page. So anyone who visits that page will
see the title specified there. The frameset contains one frame only
and your page in that frame only, so it _looks_ like your page. I
really can't see what's the big idea. I hope you're not paying for the
"service".

>How do I change the title to what it should be?

You cannot change the title of a page without editing the TITLE
element of that very page. If you continue using the "redirection
service", then you need to ask people who run it about their policies.
But don't expect too much; if they think their methods are
redirection, they might have difficulties in even _understanding_
questions about them.
--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/