IPv6 vs XHTML specification.

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Miner

unread,
May 13, 2022, 11:48:15 AMMay 13
to
How to make hyperlink to IPv6 address without violation of XHTML
specification?

--
Miner

Lewis

unread,
May 13, 2022, 2:47:18 PMMay 13
to
In message <t5lujl$dg6$1...@txtcon.i2p> Miner <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> How to make hyperlink to IPv6 address without violation of XHTML
> specification?

You will have to be way more detailed in what your issue is.

Also, why the fuck XHTML? that was an experiment that utterly failed,
which is why we have a much more sensible and clean HTML5.



--
'And I suppose you know what sound is made by one hand clapping, do
you?' said the holy man nastily. YES. CL. THE OTHER HAND MAKES
THE AP.

JJ

unread,
May 13, 2022, 7:58:10 PMMay 13
to
On Fri, 13 May 2022 15:48:07 -0000 (UTC), Miner wrote:
> How to make hyperlink to IPv6 address without violation of XHTML
> specification?

Make sure the IPv6 address is wrapped using square brackets. e.g.

https://[::1]/

And AFAIK you'll have to use Transitional XHTML, instead of Strict.

Miner

unread,
May 14, 2022, 4:28:54 AMMay 14
to
I have use "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN".

On line '<a
href="http://[218:e61f:301a:8985:d364:9076:5680:2771]">IPv6</a>'
Tidy 5.7.45 complain: "line 39 column 82 - Warning: <a> illegal
characters found in URI".

--
Miner

Miner

unread,
May 14, 2022, 4:46:03 AMMay 14
to
Lewis wrote:

> In message <t5lujl$dg6$1...@txtcon.i2p> Miner <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > How to make hyperlink to IPv6 address without violation of
> > XHTML specification?
>
> You will have to be way more detailed in what your issue is.

Tidy complain on hyperlink: http://[::1]/

> Also, why the fuck XHTML? that was an experiment that utterly
> failed, which is why we have a much more sensible and clean
> HTML5.

XHTML satisfy all my needs, except this one rudiment.

--
Miner

JJ

unread,
May 14, 2022, 10:20:48 PMMay 14
to
On Sat, 14 May 2022 08:28:37 -0000 (UTC), Miner wrote:
>
> I have use "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN".
>
> On line '<a
> href="http://[218:e61f:301a:8985:d364:9076:5680:2771]">IPv6</a>'
> Tidy 5.7.45 complain: "line 39 column 82 - Warning: <a> illegal
> characters found in URI".

Use W3C's Validator. Don't use third party software/library.

Lewis

unread,
May 16, 2022, 2:56:58 AMMay 16
to
In message <t5nq84$jhn$1...@txtcon.i2p> Miner <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>> In message <t5lujl$dg6$1...@txtcon.i2p> Miner <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> > How to make hyperlink to IPv6 address without violation of
>> > XHTML specification?
>>
>> You will have to be way more detailed in what your issue is.

> Tidy complain on hyperlink: http://[::1]/

Tidy complaining is not an indication of violating XHTML spec.

This is the validation check <https://validator.w3.org/nu/>

>> Also, why the fuck XHTML? that was an experiment that utterly
>> failed, which is why we have a much more sensible and clean
>> HTML5.

> XHTML satisfy all my needs, except this one rudiment.

Again, there is no reasons to use XHTML and good reasons not to, but
you be you. You *will* have problems because XHTML has been pretty much
abandoned.


--
Lobotomy means never having to say you're sorry -- or anything else.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages