SGML Error 133 Please help

grady

Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00
Using the W3 HTML Validator I'm getting a SGML error 133. What is this and
how can I fix it.

thanks
grady

Rob - Rock13.com

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
grady <gx...@erols.com>:

>Using the W3 HTML Validator I'm getting a SGML error 133. What is
>this and how can I fix it.

URL? I don't have the error numbers memorized but surely there was
some textual info that accompanied it.

--

Rob - Rock13.com
Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

Adrian MacNair

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
"grady" <gx...@erols.com> wrote in message

> Using the W3 HTML Validator I'm getting a SGML error 133. What is this and
> how can I fix it.

Oh, that means you didn't configure your BNU with your AQR on line 36.

grady

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
Here is the text that is display on the page that causes the error. This
is the last error that I'm trying to fix on the demo site before I upload to
the live site.

The site is www.workers.gov.

From the W3 HTML Validator

Line 118, column 135:
... earch, Careers, Resumes, Cover Letters, Interviews.</FONT>
^
Error: non SGML character number 133

Line 143, column 127:
... 6">Basic Skills, New Technology, Training, Schools.</FONT>
^
Error: non SGML character number 133

Line 168, column 131:
... mergency Support, Medical Information, Family Care.</FONT>
^
Error: non SGML character number 133

Line 193, column 132:
... ergency Support, Home Ownership, Driver's Licenses.</FONT>
^
Error: non SGML character number 133

Line 218, column 115:
... OLOR="#003366">Budgets, Savings, Taxes, Retirement.</FONT>
^
Error: non SGML character number 133

Thanks
grady mcghee

"Rob - Rock13.com" <rob...@excite.com> wrote in message
> grady <gx...@erols.com>:

> >Using the W3 HTML Validator I'm getting a SGML error 133. What is
> >this and how can I fix it.

Adrian MacNair

Sep 21, 2000, 10:40:00 PM9/21/00
You're missing a doctype there buddy:

http://www.htmlhelp.org/tools/validator/doctype.html

"grady" <gx...@erols.com> wrote in message

Calum I Mac Leod

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:47:47 -0400, "grady" <gx...@erols.com> wrote:

> Here is the text that is display on the page that causes the error. This
>is the last error that I'm trying to fix on the demo site before I upload to
>the live site.
>
> The site is www.workers.gov.
>
>From the W3 HTML Validator
>
>Line 118, column 135:
> ... earch, Careers, Resumes, Cover Letters, Interviews.</FONT>
> ^
>Error: non SGML character number 133

<snip>

This is quite common. The default encoding for HTML4 is ISO-8859-1,
and characters at positions 128-159 are reserved for control
characters.

Some applications on Windows (eg. Word) insert character 133 for the
elipsis character "...".

If you go to http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/direct.html and
paste the HTML source, then select the character encoding windows-1250
you won't find those errors.

You should either replace your elipses characters ( "..." ) with three
ordinary full stops (preferable) or reconfigure IIS to send the
document as "windows-1250". The latter won't help people who can't
get the elipses.

http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/chars.html#win

By the way, I'm pleased to see a Government Web site taking quality
seriously. UK Government Web contractors seem to be alergic to
validators. ;-)

Calum
--
Calum I Mac Leod
"If I had conformed to the W3 standards then I would