So I made my homepage but how can I get them listed on search engines?

1 view

Gerben

May 5, 2003, 7:35:39 AM5/5/03
I just made a homepage which started first as a page for my own and my
kids. However it ended up as a homepage for the related family.
Question is how do I get my page listed on serach engines? What I've heard
so far is a lot of words about meta tags, payed search engines and the lot.
It looks more as a jungle, can anyone make things a little bit clear for
me, what my options are to get my page listed so other people can find me.
I don't like to pay for it, but don't mind putting up some work to get
things done.

Tia

Gerben

Sid Ismail

May 5, 2003, 7:46:46 AM5/5/03
On Mon, 5 May 2003 11:35:39 +0000 (UTC), Gerben
<HellRai...@hotmail.com> wrote:

: I just made a homepage which started first as a page for my own and my

http://www.submitexpress.com/submit.html

Sid

PeterMcC

May 5, 2003, 8:27:20 AM5/5/03

Info:
http://www.google.com/webmasters/index.html
http://searchenginewatch.com
http://spider-food.net

Discussions
alt.internet.search-engines

Best of luck :)

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Whitecrest

May 5, 2003, 8:56:21 AM5/5/03
Could someone wake me up when Gerben is done saying.....

This is still a family page right? If so, then I am at a loss for the
need to have it in any search. Since they would not think "Hey, I
wonder if our third cousin ever put up a family web site" And then they
hit google. I would figure you can email everyone that would ever come
to the page. YMMV
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
http://www.whitecrestent.com

PeterL

May 5, 2003, 9:38:17 AM5/5/03
> This is still a family page right? If so, then I am at a loss for the
> need to have it in any search. Since they would not think "Hey, I
> wonder if our third cousin ever put up a family web site" And then
> they hit google. I would figure you can email everyone that would
> ever come to the page. YMMV

He's perfectly entitled to have his family page be search engined along with
the thousands of others already there!!!

It is possible to manually apply to each SE for inclusion and this is
possibly the best way. check thoroughly though that google hasn't already
picked it up.

PeterL
PETESPAGE
Family ... Irish Setters ... Doctor Who ... Belfast Hippodrome
Freemasonry ... Autographs ... RMS Majestic
http://www.aoqc42.dsl.pipex.com/index.html

Jordanstown Revisited
http://jord.org.uk

Gerben

May 5, 2003, 10:45:32 AM5/5/03
Whitecrest <b...@whitecrestzipzap.com> wrote in

> This is still a family page right? If so, then I am at a loss for the
> need to have it in any search. Since they would not think "Hey, I
> wonder if our third cousin ever put up a family web site" And then
> they hit google. I would figure you can email everyone that would
> ever come to the page. YMMV

It's more because a big part of my family lives in the US, UK etc. and my
family name is quiet rare, and people do search on things like their name
in order to trace people down on the Internet.
Some nice tips from the other tho :)

Thanks

Gerben

Gerben

May 5, 2003, 10:46:09 AM5/5/03
"PeterMcC" <pe...@mccourt.org.uk> wrote in news:nLsta.14085$xd5.785757
@stones.force9.net:

> Info:
> http://www.google.com/webmasters/index.html
> http://searchenginewatch.com
> http://spider-food.net
>
> Discussions
> alt.internet.search-engines
>
> Best of luck :)

Thanks!

:)

Gerben

George

May 5, 2003, 11:34:10 AM5/5/03
You can use www.addme.com which is free and will automatically list your
site on 16 engines.

George
http://www.go-download.com
"Gerben" <HellRai...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

PeterMcC

May 5, 2003, 1:53:00 PM5/5/03
Gerben wrote:
> "PeterMcC" <pe...@mccourt.org.uk> wrote in news:nLsta.14085$xd5.785757
> @stones.force9.net:
>

>> Info:
>> http://www.google.com/webmasters/index.html
>> http://searchenginewatch.com
>> http://spider-food.net
>>
>> Discussions
>> alt.internet.search-engines
<snip>

Normally you'd be urged to post the URL so that you could get some specific
advice but you might be a bit wary of that if it's family stuff - you're
welcome to mail me your URL and I'll give you the dubious benefits of my
opinion :)

Wipkip

May 5, 2003, 1:54:50 PM5/5/03
It helps a lot if you are up on your voodoo.

--
Duende has no limits.
-----

Iain Lang

May 6, 2003, 3:24:49 AM5/6/03
.
Before you start miltiple-submitting to 10, 20, 30, etc search engines, have a read of -
http://www.searchengineguide.com/buresh/2003/0428_sb1.html

L O U P

May 14, 2003, 8:26:09 AM5/14/03
PeterL wrote:

> He's perfectly entitled to have his family page be search engined along
with
> the thousands of others already there!!!

It is also helpful for the people who DO search for family members online --
it is a big hobby called Genealogy.

LOUPY

Think you know? Think again.
http://www.htmlgoddess.com

L O U P

May 14, 2003, 8:27:55 AM5/14/03
Wipkip wrote:
> It helps a lot if you are up on your voodoo.

Ain't that the truth -- gotta hold your tongue just so, wear a lot of
purple, type with your fingers crossed and every once in a while make a
virgin sacrifice of a hard drive to please the search engine gods. = )

LOUPY

--

Think you know? Think again.

http://www.htmlgoddess.com/

William Tasso

May 14, 2003, 9:02:20 AM5/14/03
L O U P wrote:
> Wipkip wrote:
>> It helps a lot if you are up on your voodoo.
>>

> Ain't that the truth -- gotta hold your tongue just so, wear a lot of
> purple, type with your fingers crossed and every once in a while make
> a virgin sacrifice of a hard drive to please the search engine gods.
> = )

Sacrilege: there is only one god Google is his name ;o)

--
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com