Reference some old posts with MID

andrew

Jan 4, 2022, 4:40:53 AM1/4/22

I am resurrecting an old page of mine that contains links to some quite
old alt.html posts. I reference these to Google Groups using a Google
hash, for example:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.html/c/6SZN3x1BcOo/m/CRqVtWFwCzsJ

However I would like to use the original MID which does not seem
available on that link; the option 'Show original message' is greyed
out.

Any thoughts on how to capture the original MID on this and other
messages?

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?

Jukka K. Korpela

Jan 4, 2022, 7:06:06 AM1/4/22
andrew wrote:

> I am resurrecting an old page of mine that contains links to some quite
> old alt.html posts. I reference these to Google Groups using a Google
> hash, for example:
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.html/c/6SZN3x1BcOo/m/CRqVtWFwCzsJ
>
> However I would like to use the original MID which does not seem
> available on that link; the option 'Show original message' is greyed
> out.
>
> Any thoughts on how to capture the original MID on this and other
> messages?

It seems that Google decided to hide the original message for some
reason. If you mouse over the greyed-out “Show original message”, you
see some explanation of privacy of e-mail addresses. If hiding addresses
is Google’s purpose, it’s natural to prevent seeing the raw message.

On the other hand, what would you do with the Message-ID? It was meant
to be a unique global identifier for a message, and in ancient times, it
was possible (to some extent) to search messages by Message-ID. But
hardly these days. And Message-ID was not meant to be informative in any
way, just a random identifier.

JJ

Jan 4, 2022, 7:16:41 AM1/4/22
I'd suggest finding the message from commercial usenet providers which have
free trials. Those that provide a usenet search engine would make things
easier.

Lewis

Jan 4, 2022, 4:49:55 PM1/4/22
In message <sr1d7c$5pi$1...@dont-email.me> Jukka K. Korpela <juk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ancient times, it was possible (to some extent) to search messages by
> Message-ID. But hardly these days. And Message-ID was not meant to be
> informative in any way, just a random identifier.

It is quite simple and very much possible to search by message-id, even
in 2022.

--
'You make us want what we can't have and what you give us is worth
nothing and what you take is everything and all there is left for

Jukka K. Korpela

Jan 4, 2022, 5:38:42 PM1/4/22
Lewis wrote:

> It is quite simple and very much possible to search by message-id, even
> in 2022.

This would be much more convincing if you provided at least one (1) way
to do that. A URL, or an operational instruction. I am not holding my
breathe.

andrew

Jan 4, 2022, 8:47:34 PM1/4/22
On 2022-01-04, Jukka K. Korpela <juk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, what would you do with the Message-ID? It was meant
> to be a unique global identifier for a message, and in ancient times, it
> was possible (to some extent) to search messages by Message-ID. But
> hardly these days. And Message-ID was not meant to be informative in
> any way, just a random identifier.

I had not realised that the MID was less useful in modern times. Times
have changed and I guess I did not notice...

And in passing: thanks for teaching me about HTML and comunication in
the old days in this and other newsgroups :)

Lewis

Jan 5, 2022, 12:41:35 AM1/5/22
Learn.

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5538#section-2.2>
The 'news' URI scheme identifies articles by their worldwide unique
"Message-ID", independent of the server and the newsgroup.

--
I find Windows of absolutely no technical interest… Mac OS X is a
rock-solid system that's beautifully designed. I much prefer it

Jukka K. Korpela

Jan 5, 2022, 3:24:12 AM1/5/22
Lewis wrote:

> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5538#section-2.2>
> The 'news' URI scheme identifies articles by their worldwide unique
> "Message-ID", independent of the server and the newsgroup.

That’s a proposed standard from 2010. Can you provide information on any
software that actually implements it and is in use today?

Allodoxaphobia

Jan 5, 2022, 9:23:48 AM1/5/22
There is this: http://al.howardknight.net/

But, dunno how totally complete the coverage is (e.g. by age).

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD

Lewis

Jan 5, 2022, 5:09:32 PM1/5/22
In message <sr3kj9$6su$1...@dont-email.me> Jukka K. Korpela <juk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5538#section-2.2>
>> The 'news' URI scheme identifies articles by their worldwide unique
>> "Message-ID", independent of the server and the newsgroup.

> That’s a proposed standard from 2010.

Oops, your ignorance is showing.

--
Yeah, and I never wanted to kick Albert Einstein in the nuts.

andrew

Jan 6, 2022, 11:36:55 PM1/6/22
In the more glorious days of Usenet I used to maintain a reasonably
big Usenet spool on my drive by using the caching NNTP server Leafnode
2. From dim memory this had the facility to be searched directly by MID.

However I use a smaller and much more basic spool these days (slrnpull)
and it has been many, many years since I have used MID search with
Leafnode.

Always sad to see good things wither and die...